Community discussions

MikroTik App

syadnom
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

BFD on static routes and interfaces

Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:56 am

I would really like to see BFD enabled on static routes as well as on interfaces.

Here's the scenario:
dual L2TP tunnels on different WAN links.
tunnel1 loses connectivity, it takes as much as 60 seconds (default keepalive) to discover that it's down. tunnel2 is up but nothing is routed there until tunnel1 is deemed down.

solution, add OSPF and BFD on tunnel1. That's a lot of extra overhead and complication for this. Checking 'use BFD' on the L2TP tunnel would be the quick and easy solution. If that passed from client to server side even better, saves the config on the server side.

Alternatively, simply add this to static routes. I can bring both tunnels up with static addresses and add static routes at distance 1 and 2 to chose priority. Add BFD to tunnel 1 and it will detect the outage rapidly and switch routes to tunnel2.

This is a *BIG* deal for me and at least a few other people. It's made me move to a different platform to get access to BFD on static routes.

dignome
just joined

Re: BFD on static routes and interfaces

Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:07 pm

upvote

I would also like to see bfd available for static routes.

syadnom
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:02 pm

dignome, apparently it's just you and I that wants think. I feel like mikrotik just doesn't care about any feature requests ever.

dignome
just joined

Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:12 pm

I don't think that is quite accurate. I'm sure we'll see it eventually just like udp support for openvpn eventually arrived in v7.

I guess if you need it now one must use another vendor (spend money elsewhere). Although I'd rather use a 'tik.

syadnom
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:16 pm

dignome and you're running v7 with openvpn udp support right now? just checking...

dignome
just joined

Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:14 am

I've tested it personally and it appears to work. Of course we don't run alpha/beta code in production systems.

My point was that one of the most requested features did eventually make it into routeros.

So keep requesting the features you want people and perhaps we'll get them -- granted it could be 10 years down the line ;p