Community discussions

mke
just joined
Topic Author

fq_codel or cake in v7

Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:55 am

Hi, just wanted to start another topic for this now that beta is out.

Will there be core or extra packages for modern queuing libraries like fq_codel or cake now that the kernel has been updated?

I've used both the above on an edgerouter x as a soho user with a highly asymmetrical line and they work flawlessly, simply set and forget.

The only way I could get a stable qos set up on routeros with queue trees and sfq was to tune my uploads to well below 50%. With fq_codel / cake close to 95% works no worries.

nkourtzis
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: fq_codel or cake in v7

Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:31 am

+1 for cake. It is more advanced than fq_codel + htb. But it will require more work, to convert the queues from htb to the cake internal shaper.
Passionate about networks
Enthusiastic about Mikrotik
MTCNA | MTCRE | MTCINE

No trees were killed to send this message,
but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

santyx32
just joined

Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:03 am

+1000 fq_codel/cake/fq_codel_fast needs less reserved bandwidth to deal with bufferbloat

mducharme
Trainer
Trainer

Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:13 am

I agree with this too, but first I want to see their current feature set stabilized. The sooner that happens, the sooner that they can release v7 and people can start using it in production. New features like this can be added easily later. If they try and add all new features that have been requested in the last several years into the first release of v7 it will take forever until it is released. I would rather see v7 stable release in 4 months than wait 7-8 months for v7 stable release with fq_codel or cake.

hci
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:42 pm

+1

CoDel etc. are badly needed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CoDel