MikroTik App

abis
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

NTP Client / Server or SNTP Client

Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:08 pm

Hello,
I'm not sure, but if I remember right the NTP Client / Server was replaced with SNTP Client?
v7.0beta3 on CHR

Zacharias
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: NTP Client / Server or SNTP Client

Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:26 pm

Yes.. you should install the ntp package if you want to use the ntp server.

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:21 pm

It's v7 question, ntp package seems to be integrated there, with both NTP client and server. And SNTP client is gone and with it the ability to use hostnames, but I assume that NTP client will get that in future.

thadrumr

Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:47 pm

NTP Server and Client is part of the base image now with V7. Look under /system/ntp in the cli. In the GUI look for"System NTP Client" or System NTP Server.

linGeRvanTAt
just joined

Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:55 pm

gone […] the ability to use hostnames
Any news on that?
With 7.1beta4, I am still not able to use a FQDN as address; at least in WebFig: ‘Invalid value in Address’. Via the command-line interface (CLI), I am able to edit a domain. Then, in Wireshark, I see a DNS resolution of that, but the NTP client does not start afterwards. In WebFig, the status stays at ‘waiting'. Same was also reported by @Uxorious in Jun. 2020.

I know there is that MikroTik cloud2 service to get the time. However, I do not want to use that (too often behind a Captive Portal blocking that). Therefore, another question: Is RouterOS able to analyze DHCP(v6) and extract the NTP server from that? And when that is not present, to fall-back to my configured address?