Community discussions

MikroTik App

G00dm4n
Topic Author

Future request - Configuration propagation similar to CAPsMAN

Wed May 06, 2020 1:48 am

Hi Gents,

I am thinking if there are some chances of creating option similar to CAPsMAN which can propagate specific configurations via profiles to MT routers/switches in the network on its initial boot.
My idea is that if this can be done its possible to have central configuration with files for each managed router or switch in the network who can download it via L2/L3 propagated address.
When this option is activated the device can try to look for the "server" (could have primary, secondary and tertiary which are sync in real time) and download the configuration specific for its identity.
Once loaded the device may apply it and start functioning until next reboot.
Of course one of the master routers or switches with enough resources have to act as a server and provide the set of rcs files to devices set in remote configuration mode - RCM.
The main point is that this may help using MT in Enterprise and MAN scale - its very convenient for CPE's and deploying on large scale areas.
If implemented similar to CAPsMAN there can be used certificates and other options for providing security and identity confirmation.

floaty

Re: Future request - Configuration propagation similar to CAPsMAN

Wed May 06, 2020 2:13 am

not shure you've checked out the TR069 capabilities of ROS yet ? (yepp ... right ... me neither)
but since these capabilities are implemented, so you should start to crtitize these functionality ?!
you want a bridge ? ... checkout the ferry before !

floaty

Wed May 06, 2020 2:16 am

and sorry I couldn't resist ... let be god a G00dm4n

troffasky

Wed May 13, 2020 11:09 pm

It's a sensible idea and CAPsMAN seems like a logical enough place to start. The CAPs already get their wireless config from the CAPsMAN so why not extend it to other aspects of of the CAP's configuration?

nkourtzis
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu May 14, 2020 11:55 am

Using an integrated mechanism to distribute configuration templates instead of setting up a separate server, is a very nice idea.Even more so if it supported some kind of self-service web interface for clients to choose which config template they wish to apply to their devices, among the available ones.

DSK

Thu May 14, 2020 8:11 pm

unimus.net is great.

G00dm4n
Topic Author

Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:52 pm

and sorry I couldn't resist ... let be god a G00dm4n
Well I really did not check TR069. And probably more similar products exist.
I think MT wants to grow, and have only open source solution which have to be tuned is not enough.
Logical answer for this is the CAPsMAN itself - could be used just another open source config server.
Having packet for service (or solution) that can provide configurations via L2/L3 to the infrastructure - ITS A REASON TO GET THE WHOLE INFRASTRUCTURE IN THE ORGANISATION FROM SAME PROVIDER. And also keep your client. (Trust me - I know what I am talking.)
Complete ecosystem is a point in the enterprise - but then this means good architecture & security. And security and low downtime are paramount there.
So I think you missing the point here.

The possibility to manage devices from other manufacturers is an additional point.
Having good web interface and metrics export for known data engines (DataDog, Grafana and etc) is a plus too.