Community discussions

MikroTik App

sfrode
just joined
Topic Author

Bonding causing trouble on partner device.

Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:32 am

Version: 7.0beta8
Model: CRS317

After upgrading from 6.47 to 7.0beta8 on my CRS317, I noticed a large (10-20%) packet loss at times on my home network. After some debugging, I narrowed it down to a bond/port-channel between a Cisco SG500X-48 and a Mikrotik CRS317. It seems like something changed between 6.47 to 7.0 causing the Cisco to have trouble processing "something" and drop packets if the two interfaces that makes up the bond/port-channel are up at the same time. Disabling one of the interfaces, no matter which, immediately resolves the packet loss. Please note that the packet loss is not limited to traffic traversing the bond/port-channel itself. The bond is running in 802.3ad mode with L3+L4 transmit hash. On the Cisco side, it is configured with src-dst-mac-ip load balancing. Spanning tree configuration is RSTP on both ends. The CRS317 configuration is attached.

This problem does not exist with RouterOS 6.47, leading me to think that there is something fishy going on in 7.0(beta8).

I have tried the following to no avail:
  • Changing spanning tree protocols from RSTP to MSTP
  • Changing the bonding algorithm (that triggered another bug causing the switch to kernel oops and crash)
  • Modifying the VLAN configuration
  • Turning off/on L3 offloading
  • Disabling ARP on the bond on the CRS317 side
  • Disabling CDP/LLDP on the Cisco switch

I am open to any and all suggestions on what might be the cause and can do some testing and debugging if necessary.

Config for the CRS317 with 7.0beta8:
2020-06-04 CRS317 - config.txt
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sfrode
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Bonding causing trouble on partner device.  [SOLVED]

Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:23 am

Resolved in RouterOS v7.1beta2.