Community discussions

MikroTik App

aliclubb
Topic Author

BGP inside VRFs

Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:27 pm

Just wondering if anyone has managed to get BGP up and running inside a VRF? Messing around with v7.1beta1 in a lab and can't seem to make this work. Either I am being stupid or this feature doesn't actually work yet, which is fine given the beta status. Obviously MPLS is disabled currently, but that should theoretically leave what Cisco would call "VRF-lite" functionality enabled.

doneware
Trainer
Trainer

Re: BGP inside VRFs

Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:17 pm

well, with pre-v7 implementation in routerOS you pretty much depended on the MPLS package to use VRFs, regardless whether there was actual labelling configured. even in those typical vrf lite scenarios.

aliclubb
Topic Author

Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:09 pm

That makes sense, but then there is this https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/display/ ... col+Status
VRF is marked as OK
EDIT: Looks like they have now changed VRF status to "Needs more testing"

So probably VRFs work but maybe the way that BGP configuration within VRFs is done is currently no bueno.
I'm really only asking because I want to know if I am just being stupid or if it's a borked feature as things stand...

I'm fairly certain that /routing/instance entries are bugged for a start... That may actually be the root cause but who knows!
It is also annoying that the ordering of VRFs under /ip/vrf in v7 actually matters.

mrz
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:08 am

Yes, at the moment BGP in VRF does not work, we will try to make it work until next beta release.

aliclubb
Topic Author

Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:36 pm

Yes, at the moment BGP in VRF does not work, we will try to make it work until next beta release.
Thanks for confirming mrz. I won't hold you to it, but here's hoping for a nice surprise in the next v7 beta! :)