Community discussions

MikroTik App

mafiosa
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

HAP mini unable to update

Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:16 am

Unable to upgrade to v7.1 due to low storage. Manually copied the file yet update fails.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: HAP mini unable to update

Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:27 am

Files menu contains anything? Which file did you copy? What packages are installed now?

hel
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:27 pm

Only way I found working is to netinstall it.

mafiosa
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:06 am

Files menu contains anything? Which file did you copy? What packages are installed now?
Here are the screenshots!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:14 pm

Put there system package only, reboot and after then install other packages you need.

mafiosa
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:27 am

Put there system package only, reboot and after then install other packages you need.
I am doing that only but the package is 8mb while free space is 7.3mb so it is failing to get copied. In onld package I cannot uninstall as there are no extra packages. Only system package is installed.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:07 am

When you upload package to RB devices with small flash disk, it'll be uploaded to RAM. So make sure device has enough free memory. Reboot before uploading package file may help, but on hAP mini (with only 32MB RAM) this might not be enough. If it doesn't work, try to netinstall the device.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:27 am

This device often even is not able to update within the 6.4x versions when using the combined package.
The newly downloaded combined package cannot fit due to the situation mafiosa describes (not enough free space).
You can see many posts from people with this problem.

On my hAP mini (a free one I got at a MUM) I have solved it some time ago by only uploading the packages I need on that device: system, wireless, advanced-tools.
From then on, every update only downloads these 3 packages which are smaller than the combined package and so the problem is solved.

But unfortunately that is no longer possible with version 7, because it only offers one big package with (nearly) everything, so probably you will have to netinstall.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:30 pm

I gave up with asking mikrotik to stop using combined package and to start with shipping the devices with the 3-4 essential packages only. Never mind. I am always starting with installation of those packages I need everytime I get new device. And I suggest the same to everyone.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:17 pm

I gave up with asking mikrotik to stop using combined package and to start with shipping the devices with the 3-4 essential packages only. Never mind. I am always starting with installation of those packages I need everytime I get new device. And I suggest the same to everyone.
Yes, but note this topic is about RouterOS 7 and this option is no longer available! There now is only a single package "routeros" and it contains everything that was in the combined package before, only niche packages like usermanager, gps, ups etc remain separate.
So this way of solving problems is no longer available and that surely means no RouterOS 7 updating for the toy devices.... (hAP mini and hAP lite)

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:07 am

Then I must apologise, obviously I am too late behind the development. I will stop transposing my experience from v6 to v7 and will wait till the moment when v7 will be called stable at least. Because otherwise it is too early for me to take care about it.

docwhogr
just joined

Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:25 pm

i have the same problem, what's the official company answer? do i have to "recall" the routers i had installed to customers to install the separate package version?
installing all the "extra packages" once resulted to bricking the router. never tried again.
installing only the system, worked, maybe by luck but i don't feel safe to try it remotely, PLUS YOU SHOULD MAKE A BACKUP before the update because you will loose all the setting of the not installed packages.
Last edited by docwhogr on Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:30 pm

i have the same problem, what's the official company answer?
It appears the "official" answer is that this problem does not exist, because they test it before release and it works for them (on a default config).
do i have to "recall" the routers i have installed to customers to install the separate package version?
Note that the start of this topic mentions "Unable to upgrade to v7.1". You should not do that yet, it is a beta version.

You can perform the multi-package solution remotely, assuming you were also able to start the update procedure remotely.
(this of course depends on the details of your network and the configuration you applied to the routers)

docwhogr
just joined

Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:14 pm

thanks for your reply pe1chl, the topic title is "HAP mini unable to update" so i chose not to create another post with the same problem. Don't worry i don't plan to install beta versions on production networks. Sorry, i edited my post to add more experiences with the matter in the meanwhile.
i have the same problem, what's the official company answer?
It appears the "official" answer is that this problem does not exist, because they test it before release and it works for them (on a default config).
do i have to "recall" the routers i have installed to customers to install the separate package version?
Note that the start of this topic mentions "Unable to upgrade to v7.1". You should not do that yet, it is a beta version.

You can perform the multi-package solution remotely, assuming you were also able to start the update procedure remotely.
(this of course depends on the details of your network and the configuration you applied to the routers)

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:08 pm

thanks for your reply pe1chl, the topic title is "HAP mini unable to update" so i chose not to create another post with the same problem. Don't worry i don't plan to install beta versions on production networks. Sorry, i edited my post to add more experiences with the matter in the meanwhile.
I think you changed this:
installing all the "extra packages" once resulted to bricking the router. never tried again.
installing only the system, worked, maybe by luck but i don't feel safe to try it remotely
This is of course both not the right thing to do!
What you should do is: check what packages you want. To start, you can look at what packages you have enabled in the existing router.
From that, you can remove what you know for sure you are not using (normally "mpls", "routing", often "ipv6", usually "hotspot").
Then you upload only the remaining packages as extracted from the extra-packages zip file. So that would be:
advanced-tools, dhcp, ppp, security, system, wireless.
Then reboot, and it will install only that and you will not lose any functionality.

mrshark
just joined

Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:44 pm

What you should do is: check what packages you want. To start, you can look at what packages you have enabled in the existing router.
From that, you can remove what you know for sure you are not using (normally "mpls", "routing", often "ipv6", usually "hotspot").
Then you upload only the remaining packages as extracted from the extra-packages zip file. So that would be:
advanced-tools, dhcp, ppp, security, system, wireless.
Then reboot, and it will install only that and you will not lose any functionality.
unfortunately, not an option for hap mini/lite devices based on smips platform... not enough free space on storage, and default packages can just be disabled, not uninstalled, which just does not free any space at all...
tried everything i could, details here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=165536

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:42 pm

Read again what I wrote. Do not uninstall packages, install separate packages from the zip file.
(for 6.4x of course. just forget about using version 7 on such a small device, that will not be realistically possible)

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:16 pm

... just forget about using version 7 on such a small device, that will not be realistically possible)
They will have to come up with something. They can't discontinue support for such relatively new devices (they still sell them), or have them upgradeable only using Netinstall. So probably even more crippled version of RouterOS (if I remember correctly, something was already removed from smips version). Or maybe some kind of differential updates, but that would be quite tricky, because it could still require too much memory that these devices don't have.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:59 am

Yes, of course the easy thing would be to rip out all the features that a "normal" user would not use on such a tiny device (like routing, capsman, hotspot and of course mpls (but that is not yet present in v7) and make those available as separate packages only.
Then those that want to use those devices as a cheap lab setup can still install them (and live with upgrade problems) and those that just bought it as a WiFi AP for the home will not be bothered by them.
But how long will that work? The system package already is the largest package by far and it will keep growing due to new features that are difficult to put in separate packages, and the 6.47 version already is at the limit for what can be used and online-upgraded on them.
Maybe the upgrade function can be improved by trying to free as much memory as possible at the start of the operation (flush all caches etc).

mrshark
just joined

Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:43 pm

Yes, of course the easy thing would be to rip out all the features that a "normal" user would not use on such a tiny device (like routing, capsman, hotspot and of course mpls (but that is not yet present in v7) and make those available as separate packages only.
Then those that want to use those devices as a cheap lab setup can still install them (and live with upgrade problems) and those that just bought it as a WiFi AP for the home will not be bothered by them.
But how long will that work? The system package already is the largest package by far and it will keep growing due to new features that are difficult to put in separate packages, and the 6.47 version already is at the limit for what can be used and online-upgraded on them.
Maybe the upgrade function can be improved by trying to free as much memory as possible at the start of the operation (flush all caches etc).
ok, but then WHY build the firmware bin files available on download section for SMIPS platform, which afaik consists in just the mini and the lite hap models... i removed EVERYTHING, even backups and all i could find in FILES, no config at all, downgraded to the oldest firmware available to have more room, no way... i've contacted support@mikrotik.com, let's see...

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:02 pm

Claims are made elsewhere that they do test this and that it works with default config, but that probably is only true for version 6.
And even for version 6 you very quickly run into trouble, probably does not require much config at all, likely it is already sufficient to let it run for a month and then try the upgrade (as normal users would do) vs a synthetic test that loads 6.47.x on the device and then tries an upgrade to 6.47.x+1 immediately. Which is likely what they are testing.
Compare the "free memory" reported for a running hAP mini/lite with the size of the combined package as downloaded. They are at best the same. Any random deviation would make the upgrade fail.
And for version 7, the scale has tipped in the wrong direction due to the increased size.

mrshark
just joined

Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:06 pm

then just say, SMIPS will not get v7, period... don't put v7 binaries on download page, or give proper instructions to allow the upgrade...

mrshark
just joined

Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:29 pm

thanks to a precious suggestion, i succeeded in upgrade my hap mini to 7.1b2, details here (marked as solved), thanks!
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=165536

TryingToLearn
just joined

Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:05 pm

Found this thread by Google - was looking at having a play with V7.
The space limit is frustrating as others have said, because you can't trick it by trying to do individual components of the package.
I've used Netinstall before but it's a bit hit-and-miss and not a practical solution in the real world, because you'd have to do that everytime a 7. update is issued.
What is more frustrating is that while the £25 / $20 hAP lite is stuck with the 16mb barrier, so is the hAP ac2 which at £65 here in the UK isn't so disposable....

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:23 am

You have to understand that the situation is not (only) related to the 16MB flash but also to the amount of RAM.
The hAP mini and hAP lite have only 32MB of RAM and that is what causes the problems here.
For the hAP ac2 that is different.

mducharme
Trainer
Trainer

Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:31 pm

I personally didn't have issues with the hAP mini recently. I upgraded it just fine from 7.1beta2 to 7.1beta3. I did have issues getting it on 7 beta from 6.48 initially but that was with older beta that was larger.