Wireguard consideration !!!!!

Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:57 am

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Wireguard consideration !!!!!

Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:10 am

I can offer my older take on that article: viewtopic.php?p=783056#p783056

But it's already added in v7 beta and it works. So it's not very likely that they'd rip it out again. ;) It's really simple, if it's good for you, use it. If not, don't.

Cha0s
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:25 pm

I've been using Wireguard the last few months on my Smartphone and Laptop and regardless what that article says, for my use case it is a godsend!

Never before I could truly have "always-on" VPN on android while on the move (frequent change of networks/ips) without having constant connectivity and battery drainage problems.

The amount of hours I've wasted trying to get IPsec to play well with others is orders of magnitude greater than the amount of time I spent to read, install, configure and reconfigure wireguard (after I got the gist of it). I set it once, and it just works ever since. Can't say the same for IPsec.
OpenVPN frankly is worse compared to both IPsec and WG.

IPsec is cool and it's a standard, but it IS a pain in the ass to make it work among different vendors.
Wireguard is a piece of cake. Anyone can blindly follow a tutorial to set it up and have it work between Linux-Windows-Mac-Android-iOS in a few minutes.
There's no way you can follow an IPsec tutorial and have it work right away. There are so many options and caveats that you have to be an expert at it to be able to resolve issues fast.

That said, I am not ditching my trusty fixed IPsec tunnels between sites, etc.
And of course Wireguard is not a solution for everyone and everything.

Maybe if I start a VPN company (which is all the buzz these days) Wireguard might not be as accommodating (which I doubt - especially having support in ROS with all the tools and API available).
But for my personal use when on the move (and having a rudimentary security when on 4G) Wireguard, for me is simply better than everything else out there.

mozerd
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:55 pm

I think WireGuard is simply outstanding ........ Many of my compatriots also think so. Naysayers will always exist and they do raise some points of consideration but from my [and many MANY other] POV WireGuard has hit the BULLSEYE.