Community discussions

MikroTik App

lordzar
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Not a fan of the new (/) slash notation.

Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:13 am

Just an observation.

Been doing it one way for 20 years... just say'n

/I/Dont/Like/This

guipoletto
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Not a fan of the new (/) slash notation.

Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:25 am

Is there a technical reason for it?
Maybe facilitate parsing for scripting?

raimondsp
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:36 pm

Old (space) notation is supported too. For instance, in v7 you can do still write
ip route print
instead of
/ip/route print
Or even
ip r p

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:56 pm

And long(er) term plans? It would seem strange, with no apparent advantage, to keep both just like that.

eworm
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:48 pm

Wait for RouterOS v8 for an answer on that. :D

neutronlaser

Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:10 pm

Gross how a / appears when pressing tab.

Dude2048
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:46 pm

I understand where this is coming from, but please dump the / notation.

msatter
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:50 pm

/I Do Like This - so I get to the correct place without bothering what place I am right now.

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:07 pm

Slash at the beginning works in older versions too. Question is about slashes in between, instead of original spaces. To be clear, I don't have anything against them, I'm used to spaces, but I can get used to slashes too, it's no big deal. I'm just wondering why are slashes better (I guess MikroTik feels that way, otherwise they wouldn't add them).

sup5

Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:58 pm

/ is annoying.
I have to press 7+Shift

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:09 pm

If you're writing commands on router (Terminal, SSH, ...), you can use Tab key for completing them. For example, write "ip", press Tab and you'll get "ip/", add "f", press Tab and you'll get "ip/firewall/", add another "f", press Tab and you'll get "ip/firewall/filter/", etc. Three slashes and you didn't have to type even a single one.

msatter
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:18 pm

Slash at the beginning works in older versions too. Question is about slashes in between, instead of original spaces. To be clear, I don't have anything against them, I'm used to spaces, but I can get used to slashes too, it's no big deal. I'm just wondering why are slashes better (I guess MikroTik feels that way, otherwise they wouldn't add them).
It would be more sense when the / will complete also the ones in front...a kind of auto complete.

/nat could be auto completed to /ip firewall nat

You have to write the complete name or be able to tab through the found.

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:31 pm

That, if I understand correctly what you mean, would have to search through all available locations in config three, and I'm not sure if they are unique enough for this to work well. If nothing else, you have same subgroups in /ip and /ipv6.

mducharme
Trainer
Trainer

Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:51 pm

I think the reason for adding the slashes was to make the CLI more like the API - the API has always required the use of slashes where the CLI has used spaces.

msatter
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:34 am

That, if I understand correctly what you mean, would have to search through all available locations in config three, and I'm not sure if they are unique enough for this to work well. If nothing else, you have same subgroups in /ip and /ipv6.
Pressing TAB will show you then /ipv6 firewall nat. Only complete names will trigger auto complete. This could be in a table (hash) to improve speed. No hit in the hash table, more input of the user is needed. When creating a script you can enter /nat and on pressing TAB once or more times will result in a complete path to be written as long you used a complete name
The table should be generated each time Winbox starts because not has the same packages installed. However in ROS7 this has become less important due to less lose packages.

When I want to switch to NAT then I think nat and not ip firewall nat. I then complete it backwards in my mind to /ip firewall nat. I am used to use the "/" indicating the root menu and following slashes are confusing to me because of my habit.

Some are maybe used to the short versions of like /ip f n but I avoid those because giving script examples this not always clear to the other users.

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:07 am

I don't know, I don't use CLI that often to appreciate this. And when I do, what's there now is good enough for me.

mducharme
Trainer
Trainer

Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:36 am

Personally, I don't find the slashes a big deal at all. It is more logical than using spaces when it comes to showing people the hierarchy, since the command line really resembles a folder->subfolder structure like a typical file system. For new users, I think it will make things even clearer than they were before. I think it's just a little different than what everybody is used to, and that it won't take long to get accustomed to it.