Community discussions

MikroTik App

mrshark
just joined
Topic Author

[SOLVED] cannot succeed to update hap mini to 7.1b2

Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:20 pm

hi
i tried all the options to upgrade a brand new, still not used (and factory reset) HAP MINI to latest 7.1beta2... direct upload of npk file, not enough internal storage...

so tried netinstall, set up pc with 192.168.88.2 and netinstall net boot to 192.168.88.3, turned off firewall and antivirus (and tried 2 different PCs, too)
with direct eth cable between pc and port1 of the hap mini, kept pressed reset for 20seconds until 1 of the 2 leds turned off, nothing appeared in netinstall... tried with winbox to set boot from eth and then from flash flag in settings, routerboard, then reboot, nothing... put a switch in between pc and hap, nothing, again both via pressing reset before powering on and with winbox flag...

how is it supposed to update such devices? I'd like to try wireguard vpn...
Last edited by mrshark on Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ruwi000
just joined

Re: cannot succeed to update hap mini to 7.1b2

Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:03 am

I have the same issue, load 7.1beta2 via netinstall on a hap lite. Netinstall gives an error on the end of the install, but the package seems to be loaded on the device.
I can log in for a few seconds to the device, view the log and then it gives a out of memory error, kernel panic and reboots.
Nothing has been changed to the default config.
I think a monolitic package is not the way to go.
For the remarks "you should not run this on these tiny devices". The 7.1beta2 package is downloadable for smips architecture, and this are the only devices that have this processor.
I am going to experiment with "no config" and see how it behaves.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mrshark
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:36 pm

i'm not even able to put it in netinstall mode... tried everything as said, the only alternative is using an old win7 pc as soon as i can...

i tried EVERYTHING i've found, downgraded to the minimal version usable, the one shipped with device, 6.44.5, this freed about 500k more, but even so i can't upload the 7.1b2 npk...
i removed EVERY file i could, the conf backup and the skins folder, device cannot have more space of what i have, and this is just not enough to contain the new npk...
i even disabled every standard package except system (they cannot be uninstalled), nothing to do, no space...
i can understand that a cheap device can have issues of performances, what's not acceptable is to provide beta firmware noone can use in any way on them... even saying "use netinstall", how can it be used when device is in production? I know, beta is not production, but who says final firmware will be smaller than the beta ones...

nostromog
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:39 pm

hi
i tried all the options to upgrade a brand new, still not used (and factory reset) HAP MINI to latest 7.1beta2... direct upload of npk file, not enough internal storage...

so tried netinstall, set up pc with 192.168.88.2 and netinstall net boot to 192.168.88.3, turned off firewall and antivirus (and tried 2 different PCs, too)
with direct eth cable between pc and port1 of the hap mini, kept pressed reset for 20seconds until 1 of the 2 leds turned off, nothing appeared in netinstall... tried with winbox to set boot from eth and then from flash flag in settings, routerboard, then reboot, nothing... put a switch in between pc and hap, nothing, again both via pressing reset before powering on and with winbox flag...

how is it supposed to update such devices? I'd like to try wireguard vpn...
I never got netinstall to work until I ignored the manual and set up net boot to 192.168.88.1, which makes sense as this is the IP the router will end up with

mrshark
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:21 pm

I never got netinstall to work until I ignored the manual and set up net boot to 192.168.88.1, which makes sense as this is the IP the router will end up with
YOU GENIUS! That was it! The netinstall wiki page is wrong (image indicates at 3 to use 192.168.88.3), as soon as i put in the ip you said (and yes, that's the default device ip on reset config), it appeared in netinstall as soon as i kept reset button pressed for 20 seconds, after power cycle... thanks!

oh, in latest winbox 3.27 there's the gui for wireguard, too, i think it's new, i read you had to configure it via console previously...
71b2.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

xaduha
just joined

Re: [SOLVED] cannot succeed to update hap mini to 7.1b2

Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:11 am

Any success after installation though? It kinda doesn't run that well for me, runs out of memory and reboots when I try to configure it.