firmware-type: ipq4000L
  factory-firmware: 7.0beta6
  current-firmware: 7.0beta6
  upgrade-firmware: 7.1beta2

I had generated a routerOS backup using:
/system backup save name=router01 password=xxxxx encryption=aes-sha256

I made a bunch of changes testing another issue and decided to reset using:
/system/reset-configuration skip-backup=yes

When the device rebooted I connected via Ethernet scp'd the backup file to the device and ssh'd in. I then attempted to run the following:
[admin@MikroTik] > /system/backup/load name=router01.backup password=xxxxx
Restore and reboot? [y/N]:
Y
Restoring system configuration
System configuration restored, rebooting now
[admin@MikroTik] > Received disconnect from 192.168.88.1 port 22:11: shutdown/reboot
Disconnected from 192.168.88.1 port 22

~ 1m 51s
❯

After the reboot I expected to have my router back, instead, the wifi LED was not lit and there was no DHCP server, no interface IP, I couldn't connect to the router. To get the router back I now have to use a previous plain text routerOS 'export' and then copy and paste all the commands back in.

I have tried this twice and both times resulted in the same outcome.

ilium007
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Re: Recovery from backup fails

Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:01 am

As I had my scripted rebuild working I decided to try the backup and restore again on an un-encrypted backup and can confirm that it successfully restores.

The process below worked:

[admin@router01] > /system/backup/save password=xxxx dont-encrypt=yes name=backup01
[admin@router01] > /system/reset-configuration skip-backup=yes

After reboot, scp the backup file to the router and run:
[admin@router01] > /system/backup/load name=backup01.backup password=xxxx

The problematic backup file came from the nightly backup script which included:
/system/backup/save encryption=aes-sha256 name=router01 password=xxxx

Can anyone else confirm encrypted backups fail to restore?

ilium007
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:07 pm

So I'm having a heap of problems here. Power outage last night, router was unresponsive when I came home. Because I do daily backups, emailed to myself, I thought I would grab one and load back to the router. The backups that I am doing now are unencrypted due to the bug I have previously reported in this thread but now when I attempt to load the backup the router just becomes unresponsive again. No wireless networks, no DHCP server, and wont respond to pings on 192.168.88.1 so I know it has not reverted to factory config. I am almost at wits end with this device, I am forced to run routerOS v7 because its the Chateau LTE12 but there seems to be a lot of bugs present.

Surely other people are unable to restore from backup on routerOS v7.

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:52 pm

It won't help you, but i's not completely and unconditionally broken in whole v7, I tried CHR and it worked with both encrypted and unencrypted backups. Just a simple config, but that shouldn't matter, it should simply restore all router's data files.
Excessive quoting is useless and annoying. If you use it, please consider if you could do without it.

ilium007
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:31 am

As I said, I perform a backup daily via script and email to myself from the router. The backups I attempted to restore were from the pas few days as I know I had made recent changes. These keep failing to restore. I went back to the backup from the 16/09 and was able to restore that unencrypted backup successfully.

This leads me to believe that there is a bug somewhere that is causing restores to fail based on some config that was changed between the 16/09 and 22/09. I am still unable to restore an encrypted backup however.