MikroTik App

mutluit
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

Error: DNS adding domain name with Umlaut

Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:32 pm

Hi,
how do I add this domain name "allestörungen.de" to the DNS (into an allow list)?
The problem is: the domain name has an Umlaut ("ö"), but in the MiktoTik console it's not possible to type that character :-(
Has this been fixed in recent MiktoTik OS versions?
Thx

eworm
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Error: DNS adding domain name with Umlaut  [SOLVED]

Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:41 pm

You have to use IDN encoding. Try this: xn--allestrungen-9ib.de

mutluit
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

Re: Error: DNS adding domain name with Umlaut

Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:47 pm

You have to use IDN encoding. Try this: xn--allestrungen-9ib.de
Thanks! This seems to work. But I wonder how to figure/decipher/decode/understand this.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:19 pm

Of course it would be somewhat friendly when RouterOS would do the conversion automatically (or offer the option of doing so)....

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:35 pm

RouterOS would first have to add unicode support, because currently it stores all characters above basic 7bit ascii as bytes from local single-byte encoding, so it's quite unpredictable.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:01 pm

In theory it could even be solved client-side, at least in winbox and webfig.
There could be a special fieldtype for DNS names which the client converts back-and-forth from international chars to IDN encoding.
Of course this sounds like an awful hack, but I understand this is already how IP address fields are handled in tools commands.
(the client resolves the entered domainname to an IP and sends that to RouterOS)

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:22 pm

It will probably happen one day, but it's not too pressing, as you can always convert the name manually outside of RouterOS. It may not be user friendly, but it does not stop you from adding it if you need it.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:34 am

Ok... I never deal with those issues (rarely a need to have special chars in DNS here) but I presume there are some online pages
where you can do the conversion. I found this one: https://www.punycoder.com/

The only risk with running some tool like that without first examining what it exactly does is that, when you are using it on a
domain name you would like to register, the website quickly registers it and takes the name as hostage to have you pay.
It has happened before with sites that offer you to check if a domain name is available and when you just enter some name
there, the answer is that it is already registered but that you can buy it from them....

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:26 pm

The encoding is not for whole name, but only for individual parts, so if you'd be affraid of such site, you don't need to enter real name. Whether it's "allestörungen.de" or "allestörungen.example.net", the "allestörungen" part will always be the same "xn--allestrungen-9ib", which you can pick from fake name.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:56 pm

Good suggestion! But of course, when the converter is implemented in locally running javascript, there is no risk at all.
And in fact, MikroTik could implement it that way in webfig and as local code in winbox :-)