Community discussions

MikroTik App

madman22
just joined
Topic Author

Bring the API into the 21st century with GraphQL

Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:21 am

Being able to have a standards based API with subscription capabilities would really help the Mikrotik Community.

https://graphql.org/blog/subscriptions- ... and-relay/

For instance, besides the normal menu system lookups, we can have subscriptions for interface counters and config changes.

This would really help out us network/software developers trying to integrate mikrotik into our ecosystem.

Thanks!

kiler129

Re: Bring the API into the 21st century with GraphQL

Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:39 am

Oh god, please, no.

The power of ROS is consistency and API brings very clear error boundaries. GQL would destroy that model making the API actually very hard to use in a long run. Additionally deprecation of GQL is very tricky. However, the biggest hurtle is complexity and performance of the server: there are multiple implementation in majority of the relevant languages and all of them I've ever seen lack in multiple areas.

Don't get me wrong: I would love to tinker with GQL and ROS, but it's simply not a great fit. To provide some context I'm saying this from a position of a lead developer of a large medical platform extensively utilizing GQL. After couple of years I'm 100% sure the GQL was the best and the worst choice we made ;)

infabo
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: Bring the API into the 21st century with GraphQL

Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:21 am

Nice wish - but won't ever happen IMHO. We can be lucky - very very lucky- should v7 ever reach stable-status. So I guess the API has not the highest priority. And I am 100% sure that Mikrotik would not see any benefit of a GQL API anyway ^^