Community discussions

MikroTik App

mpa
just joined
Topic Author

Bricked hAP AC2 after flashing 7.1beta4

Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:50 pm

Hey everyone,

I am trying to figure out if I my device is bricked, after flashing newest 7.1beta4 (drag and drop to file in winbox + reboot) from version 6.48.1 my device stopped responding at all.

Booting procedure seems fine, I press and hold reset button, plug the adapter, wait untill LED labeled "usr" starts flashing and then release. After 3-4 seconds the "usr" led goes off and nothing happens. My hap ac2 won't give me a DHCP address or it won't even show its mac address in arp tables (After pinging 192.168.88.0/24 subnet + old config subnets). Strange enought it shows active links on ports just fine. Tried every combination of resetting it to factory defaults, 30-30-30 method doesn't work, official way of resettings seems to exist but no effect, there is no jumper on my routerboard (Or its the one where button is connected).
Seems like L2 is not working after failed update on my model - winbox / netinstall won't answer.
Tried three different NICs, two PC's, Windows/Linux OS no difference. Wireshark shows only DHCP client service asking for lease + some windows protocols packets

Should I throw it away or there is someting I should try?
Thank you in advance for any ideas.

UPDATE 1 (13.02.2021)
After couple power cycles, trying netinstall NIC is showing around 2000 Tx Packets and 0 Rx (I've been connected only to hAP ac2). Most likely the device is dead after upgrading.
Last edited by mpa on Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

rplant
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Bricked hAP AC2 after flashing 7.1beta4

Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:30 am

Hi,

All VM interfaces on PC have been disabled?

Also, worth while going for a coffee after doing the power up with reset held down (for the while)
with netinstall running.
Just leave netinstall and hapac2 sitting there turned on.

mpa
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:42 pm

Hi,

All VM interfaces on PC have been disabled?

Also, worth while going for a coffee after doing the power up with reset held down (for the while)
with netinstall running.
Just leave netinstall and hapac2 sitting there turned on.
Thanks for reply, all VMs interfaces disabled (Ewen other hardware NICs like WLAN etc.)
After 25 minutes of waiting still no result. Firewall disabled but shouldn't make any difference since winbox and netinstall are working on lower level.

mducharme
Trainer
Trainer

Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:29 pm

Thanks for reply, all VMs interfaces disabled (Ewen other hardware NICs like WLAN etc.)
After 25 minutes of waiting still no result. Firewall disabled but shouldn't make any difference since winbox and netinstall are working on lower level.
I can't read the language, but you need to give yourself a static IPv4 address for netinstall and click on the Net Booting button and make sure things are set right in there. I can't tell if you have the static IPv4 address. You'll have to use ether1 for NetInstall.

NetInstall isn't working on lower level - it uses IP, dhcp/bootp client and uses TFTP to pull the install package, so the firewall can block it. NetInstall itself acts as the DHCP/BOOTP/TFTP server for the client and passes the options it expects.

Getting the device into Netinstall mode properly can sometimes be tricky as there are lots of things that can go wrong, it is more of an art than an exact science. If it is your first attempt, it will likely take you a bunch of tries to get it to netinstall properly.

A safer way of testing routeros 7 on your device is to add partitions, copy your main one to the new partition and upgrade one or the other two 7beta4. If something goes wrong, the device may automatically boot to the routeros 6 partition, or if it doesn't, you can power on the device and cut power as it is booting to trick it into thinking that the other partition has failed and it will boot to the other one next time. The configurations are separate between the two partitions so after you copy over your routeros 6 you can empty the config entirely without the config emptying from the other routeros 6 partition, and that way upgrading to routeros 7 you can basically do a clean install. I have found with each version of routeros 7 there is some new issue that appears and I have to go back to a clean config and copy and paste most of the config back in. Usually they have changed some bit of config syntax and the old syntax causes RouterOS 7 new beta to crash entirely.

mpa
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:46 pm

I can't read the language, but you need to give yourself a static IPv4 address for netinstall and click on the Net Booting button and make sure things are set right in there. I can't tell if you have the static IPv4 address. You'll have to use ether1 for NetInstall.

NetInstall isn't working on lower level - it uses IP, dhcp/bootp client and uses TFTP to pull the install package, so the firewall can block it. NetInstall itself acts as the DHCP/BOOTP/TFTP server for the client and passes the options it expects.

Getting the device into Netinstall mode properly can sometimes be tricky as there are lots of things that can go wrong, it is more of an art than an exact science. If it is your first attempt, it will likely take you a bunch of tries to get it to netinstall properly.

A safer way of testing routeros 7 on your device is to add partitions, copy your main one to the new partition and upgrade one or the other two 7beta4. If something goes wrong, the device may automatically boot to the routeros 6 partition, or if it doesn't, you can power on the device and cut power as it is booting to trick it into thinking that the other partition has failed and it will boot to the other one next time. The configurations are separate between the two partitions so after you copy over your routeros 6 you can empty the config entirely without the config emptying from the other routeros 6 partition, and that way upgrading to routeros 7 you can basically do a clean install. I have found with each version of routeros 7 there is some new issue that appears and I have to go back to a clean config and copy and paste most of the config back in. Usually they have changed some bit of config syntax and the old syntax causes RouterOS 7 new beta to crash entirely.
Thanks for the explanation - it is much more clear for me now. I finally figured it out, netinstall v6.48.1 wasn't working in my case, version 6.47.9 worked like a charm.