Community discussions

MikroTik App

Cablenut9
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

hEX S: PoE voltage measurement is broken

Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:13 am

I upgraded my hEX S to 7.1beta4 today and now the PoE voltage measurement is broken. Eth5, which used to have auto on for PoE power out, doesn't work because the voltage is now too low. I set it to forced on and now it works. However, System -> Health shows no CPU temperature and the voltage is 0.5V, and it was showing 49.2V before.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Cablenut9
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Re: hEX S: PoE voltage measurement is broken

Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:45 am

Also, I noticed that in System -> Packages it lets me uninstall 7.1beta4 with no problem at all ("Uninstall" button in WebFig gives no errors). This almost made me have to use Netinstall because it rebooted several times until I downgraded to 6.49beta11.

kubik369
just joined

Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:35 pm

I would like to extend on this report, this issue is still present in 7.1beta6, PoE out on Auto is not working, forcing it works. My Health page looks exactly as OPs. If I can provide some logs or anything which would help in fixing this issue, I'm happy to help :)

Filled in template:
  • [1.] Version number: 7.1beta6
    [2.] Router's model:MikroTik RB760iGS HEX S
    [3.] Steps to reproduce the issue
    • [1.] Turn on the router.
      [2.] Connect a PoE capable device into the right-most, PoE out capable ethernet port (eth5)
      [3.] At this point, on version 6.48.3, device connected to the port powers on. On 7.1beta6, it does not and power needs to be set to "forced" in the port settings. After doing this, PoE out works.
    [4.] Configuration export: stock configuration
    [5.] Any additional information that would help troubleshoot the issue (screenshots, debug logs, etc.): I don't there are any helpful pictures apart from OPs one.
Last edited by kubik369 on Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

kubik369
just joined

Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:42 pm

I have just upgraded to 7.1rc1 and am reporting that nothing has changed. The only thing on health page is the voltage of 0.5V, same in CLI, temperature is still missing. PoE still works the same way, it needs to be forced, it does not work on Auto.

kubik369
just joined

Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:44 pm

Just upgraded to 7.1rc3, still no dice. Voltage is showing 0.5V, no temperature shown, PoE only works on the forced setting :)

It would be great to get some sort of response, whether it makes sense to keep posting these updates. Does anyone else have this problem? Is it being tracked? :)

cipwurzel
just joined

Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:35 pm

I can confirm this problem with 7.1rc3.
With poe-out=forced-on it is working

kubik369
just joined

Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:01 pm

Reporting from 7.1rc4, the issue persists, all of the symptoms are the same :(

zoidberg
just joined

Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:12 pm

Reporting from 7.1rc4, same issue

With RB750gr3 same problem

Last edited by zoidberg on Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kubik369
just joined

Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:36 am

Reporting from 7.1, switched to the testing branch. In System - Health, I can see both the temperature and the correct voltage - 24V. PoE out on the port works, which is probably related to the voltage being read correctly. I didn't notice these fixes in the changelogs, but at least I can finally leave out the forced PoE from my config. Thank you for the fixes :)

No one will probably read this, but as a side-note, if you expect users to alpha/beta test the new software, please, try to dedicate some resources to responding to actual bug reports. As can be seen in my first post in this thread, I tried to report this issue properly, with the template and all, but got absolutely no official response. It would be great if there was some acknowledgment, at least for the users who try to report the issues correctly, as it just left a bad taste in my mouth. Even an automated response from some bot who would be watching for the templates would do; but I guess at that point it would be easier to make some bug system available. As you can see, since 7.1rc4, I have pretty much given up. I kept checking whether there would be some mention of the issue/fix in the changelogs, but I did not see anything related to this. I have only risked updating to 7.1-testing out of sheer lack of self-preservation and it thankfully panned out, but it was a pretty frustrating experience. This was my first experience with Mikrotik, and while the hardware has great features and value, the software and this forum experience makes me want to not touch any other Mikrotik device with a ten-foot pole :? This is only using the device as a really basic home router. If the bug reporting experience is the same with stable/longterm bugs, I cannot imagine relying on something from Mikrotik in production :?

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:30 am

1- I read it so that's one :lol:
2- keep in mind this is a USER forum. MT staff does read a lot of the posts but not all. If you really want to report a bug, it's best to send a mail to MikroTik support <support@mikrotik.com> with config or supout.inf. Then you'll get a ticket number and you will be sure the issue is being tracked (doesn't mean it gets solved straight away)
3- keep ALSO in mind the 7-branch is actually only to be used in production at your own risk (bar some exceptions for devices only having 7.01 or something like that to start with).
4- Lastly, the flexibility and complexity of RouterOS is its power but also its weakness. RouterOS DOES have steep learning curve. Learn it and you'll be amazed at what you can do. Don't and you'll get frustrated.
I personally have never seen such dirt cheap devices being capable of doing stuff you'd normally only find in high-end devices costing 100's to 1000's of € or $.

Adding: if you'd been following the threads in the Routeros 7 part, you'd have seen these power and temp issues are a recurring topic across all 7-versions.
But that didn't mean it was not addressed as you have noticed :D

ConnyMercier
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:34 am

It's a BUG in ROS7
Both HEX and HEX s are affected

Mikrotik know's about it...
.> viewtopic.php?t=180465&hilit=hex#p892682

Znevna
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:06 pm

Well, it's not only cosmetic if it prevents auto poe-out from functioning.