Community discussions

MikroTik App

infabo
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

How to safely configure device with v7?

Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:57 am

I noticed so many glitches in the few months I am using Chateau12 with v7 that I am quite afraid to change any setting on the device with other than CLI/SSH.

Once I tried Wireguard and configured it with WebFig/WinBox initially. But that acted very weird. You entered some settings, hit ok/apply and the settings disappeared or changed to something else.

The same behaviour I watched with the Mikrotik Android app. I do not trust this app in any kind. I just use it to view device stats or view settings. I do not dare to save anything there. I either enable the safe-mode (that I do not trust as well) and avoid hitting any button that looks like a save-button. I am really scared that saving - even untouched - can lead to weird changes that cause kind of issues like kernel-panics oder random-reboots.

For Winbox/Webfix I even have the feel, that actions are not idempotent like hitting save-button twice may be different than hitting it only once for example.

Once I configured new queue types and simple queues and afterwards I noticed by comparison, that WinBox filled other default-values than the CLI would do when adding new items. Pretty unexpected.

Now I netinstalled my device yesterday and even though I checked "apply default config" in netinstall, the device cam up with no config at all. Ohh no, the next unexpected experience. So I /system/reset-configuration and the device booted up again with a default-config.

The first thing I do is update device IP and network-address. For convenience I use QuickSet for this task, as it catches all places I otherwise need to tackle manually. But again, weird behaviour. It did not change the DHCP-Servers "DNS-Servers"-setting, so DHCP correctly gave me a lease in the new IP-range - but advertised still the old 192.168.88.1 as DNS-Server. So unpredictable.

So finally I am really afraid to touch any setting in any interface other than the real (not the one within winbox) CLI. I have the feel, that Winbox is some kind out of sync with v7 and it may look like it is working, in background there may be incompatibilities with v7.

So my question: How to safely configure a v7 device? Only CLI? But when I want to enable VPN I usually use QuickSet, as you otherwise need to configure it in 10 places. But I am afraid now to use QuickSet for any task - as I fear that QuickSet leaves my device in a uncertain state.