Community discussions

MikroTik App

Cablenut9
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

L2TP BCP is broken

Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:44 am

After upgrading my router to v7 my L2TP BCP setup is broken. No packets can make it across, and I double checked the MTU/MTU/MRRU settings. Are there any changes in v7 that I might to work around to fix this? I spent an hour on my phone during a wedding trying to get the connection to work again.

mducharme
Trainer
Trainer

Re: L2TP BCP is broken

Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:00 am

After upgrading my router to v7 my L2TP BCP setup is broken. No packets can make it across, and I double checked the MTU/MTU/MRRU settings. Are there any changes in v7 that I might to work around to fix this? I spent an hour on my phone during a wedding trying to get the connection to work again.
MikroTik has not yet integrated any code modifications that they had to make to GPL protected code in the Linux kernel. This means that certain features like GRE tunnel keepalives (which are not supported by regular Linux GRE) are not yet working in RouterOS v7. Presumably, the reason is so that they would not have to make these customizations multiple times before release, since if they wanted to update the Linux kernel version that RouterOS v7 uses before the stable release, they may have had to have rewritten the customizations under the new Linux kernel. It is less work for them if they don't have to customize the GPL protected Linux kernel code until it gets closer to the actual release.

I am not 100% sure that L2TP BCP falls into this category, but I would not be surprised if it did.

Cablenut9
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:05 am

So, you're saying it likely won't be fixed until stable v7 comes out? That's worse than Ubiquiti!

mducharme
Trainer
Trainer

Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:12 am

So, you're saying it likely won't be fixed until stable v7 comes out? That's worse than Ubiquiti!
I'm saying that if it is caused by one of these Linux GPL customizations that they haven't made yet, they will most likely only fix it when they feel it is getting closer to a stable release. If they integrated the customizations too early, and decided to update the Linux kernel version closer to the ROS v7 release, they may have to redo a lot of the work of integrating their customizations and testing them against the new kernel since changes made to the Linux code in the meantime may conflict with some of their customizations.

Obviously, one question is how close are they getting to a stable release - at the rate it has been going, I wouldn't be surprised to see one in early 2022.

I do expect there would be at least one or two beta v7 releases that have such customizations integrated prior to the first stable release.