Community discussions

MikroTik App

PostarPat
just joined
Topic Author

Wireguard interface tx drops and errors

Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:19 pm

Hi everyone! Statistics for Wireguard interface shows strange huge number of tx drops and errors, so I would like to hear thoughts on that....

Site#1
wireguard drops 1.jpg
Site#2
wireguard drops.jpg

Testing wireguard between two test sites, each of them is behind NAT, but one has forwarding set for 13213/UDP so I suppose that is the one which listens and establishes peer connections. Bandwidth test shows me better results (20/20Mbps) than with OpenVPN, stable connection, minimum jitter, latency almost same as with any other public IP address.

In case needed I can post details configuration of both test sites, thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

kiler129

Re: Wireguard interface tx drops and errors

Sun May 16, 2021 6:41 am

I think drops are perfectly normal. WG runs over UDP, which by definition means the protocol is responsible for dealing with lost packets as the transport layer doesn't guarantee that. However, your values seem a little bit high. I checked one of my test tunnels:
Screen Shot 2021-05-15 at 10.36.00 PM.png
As you see my drops rate is around ~0.03% while yours is closer to 13%. However, your error rate gives ma a clue that something may be sending you packets which are broken and some of them are getting replies from your router. If you're running your WG tunnel on a default port you may consider changing it just to prevent the noise (not as a security measure at all).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.