Community discussions

MikroTik App

andyc829
just joined
Topic Author

OSPF Default Route Distribution

Tue May 11, 2021 12:23 am

Good evening all,

I am currently running ROS 7 as I want to use wireguard for VPN access.

I am also trying to setup OSPF over a number of connected routers. It is running very well however I cannot work out how to configure my ASBRs to redistribute their default route into the OSPF instance. I have tried specifically distributing 0.0.0.0/0 as a network, however this simply detects the interface and assumes I want to advertise the network address which that interface is in.

In older versions of ROS you could control the re-distribution of default routes I believe so how do I do it now? It's vital that I am able to do this on my network as I have multiple internet gateways and I need default-route link state changes to be propogated throughout the network. I am intending that the default routes are not static but dynamically added by the router when a number of PPPoE interface are up. If they go down, the default route should be removed from the routing table, and subsequently from the OSPF instance.

Any help would be lovely! It's very simple on Cisco...."default-information originate"

mducharme
Trainer
Trainer

Re: OSPF Default Route Distribution

Tue May 11, 2021 3:02 am

In older versions of ROS you could control the re-distribution of default routes I believe so how do I do it now?
By default in ROS 7, it is supposed to advertise any routes in the routing table over OSPF as type 5 LSA's via redistribution. This redistribution is controlled by routing filters. If you have a routing filter set for OSPF, it will not advertise anything except what the routing filter allows. If you have no routing filter set for OSPF, it will advertise everything. Theoretically, this should include the default route. I am assuming that at the moment you probably have OSPF configured to use an out-filter but do not have any rules in the out-filter, resulting in no routes being redistributed.

For more details, please see the OSPF configuration section here: https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/display/ ... g+Examples

andyc829
just joined
Topic Author

Wed May 12, 2021 12:47 am

Hi Mducharme,

Thank you for your reply.

I do not have a OSPF filter set. I am getting routes redistributed but the default route is not being propogated. The DHCP assigned address from my upstream provider is advertised but the default route itself is not.

Is this a bug?

mducharme
Trainer
Trainer

Wed May 12, 2021 1:13 am

Is this a bug?
I'm not sure - I haven't actually tried redistributing the default route myself with OSPF on RouterOS 7. Could be a bug, or the feature has not yet been implemented.