Community discussions

MikroTik App

g99
just joined
Topic Author

Feature Request: Custom skin CSS

Sun May 30, 2021 3:21 pm

Hello there.
I hope am not the only one, who consider webfig UI as extremely old fashioned. It would by nice to have a way how to customize webfig UI or at least option to choose from themes. Best way could be prepared themes or custom css in skin .json config. (Yeah, I know it may break things after update. Prepared CSS variables could solve it.)

Here's my concept of better looking webfig UI, which was made only with updated css.
Please let me know what do you think about it.

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Feature Request: Custom skin CSS

Mon May 31, 2021 9:56 pm

I hope MikroTik team use better his time than using it to apply themes on WebFig

I don't understand how you can think that they dedicate time to you for this nonsense, instead of solving far more important needs.

Use for example, on Firefox the plugin FoxReplace and you can have automatically your .css replace the default.

g99
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:13 am

I believe that Mikrotik team also includes designers and they usually don't programme. This is feature request for them.
Solving existing bugs needs time. On the other hand, implementing this feature or just updating webfig UI could be easy. Design sells (look at Ubiquiti) and some customers like nice UI.
I understand this may be useless for ISPs but RouterOS is common for all devices including those for home. I am glad that Mikrotik team realized it and their product enclosures look better and better with every new product.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:47 am

Like Rextended wrote, you can start by using a browser plugin and making a CSS there. If it works nicely, share it here with others :)

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:58 pm

Id like the MT router to make hot chocolate and give me botox injections........................ ....we are talking cosmetics here right!! ;-)
Last edited by anav on Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

infabo
Long time Member
Long time Member

Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:09 pm

guys, thats a bit unfair how you treat the OP. He posted a nicely looking screenshot how the webfig could look like with just CSS effort. It does not harm anyone.

And be honest: you oldschool grumpy guys don't even use webfig at all. so why bother? keep going with windows-95 winbox and terminal (which is the real deal).

and picking up a discussion from v7 beta: Development does not go faster, when you throw manpower at certain features (said mikrotik support user). there are certain teams/developers with decoupled focus/roadmap and feature-goals. So wh does anyone bother, when a designer just takes a look and does some improvement? A designer does no coding (in terms of programming) at all. So why not pick up such a proposal? But maybe there are no dedicated designers engaged at Mikrotik - just all tech guys. So then: just forget what I said. IT guys deserve the interface they design for themselves. UI will look the same in 2031. Some or many bugs may still won't be fixed then - but at least our eyes won't hurt.

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:21 pm

1) Leave the possibility to change css is a problem, because someone must PROGRAM the function inside the source code.
2) Changing GUI is a problem for assistance, because are introduced all the problem of all user changing GUI and cut himself out for make useless interface
because they are not designers and do not know css
3) Better Windows 98 are more nice and clear than Windows 10.
4) WinBox is browser indipendant and have same aspect on all platform

g99
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:32 pm

1) Leave the possibility to change css is a problem, because someone must PROGRAM the function inside the source code.
2) Changing GUI is a problem for assistance, because are introduced all the problem of all user changing GUI and cut himself out for make useless interface
because they are not designers and do not know css
3) Better Windows 98 are more nice and clear than Windows 10.
4) WinBox is browser indipendant and have same aspect on all platform
1) Yeah, you're right. I am not the developer of routeros but I don't see linking uploaded CSS file into webfig as big deal. If it's hard to implement, then there's always option to just update current webfig css to look more modern. Same UX, layout, just new UI. I believe that such a big company as Mikrotik has at least one designer.
2) I don't think that unexperienced users would be able to change css, moreover the way they would destroy something. Manuals and help knowledge use default skin. Assistance worker can simply ask user to use it either.
3) That's individual feeling and that's ok. Others prefer different design.
4) Then why couldn't webfig look different when there's always option to use winbox? Unexperienced users usually don't need to use winbox (because that's simply another app they need to download to setup router) and webfig is first thing they see.