Community discussions

MikroTik App

ghostzero
just joined
Topic Author

7.1b6 - DNS regex not lowercased and FWD uses and caches default DNS, if unreachable?

Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:46 pm

According to https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:IP/DNS when using DNS entries, e.g. forwarding of DNS using regex one should use lowercase characters as mikrotik converts uppercase to lowercase automatically.

However, with 7.1b6 this does not seem to work. If I do "nslookup -type=srv _kerberos._tcp.AD.DOMAIN.COM" and only match a regex against ".ad.domain.com" then the name cannot be resolved. Interestingly, if I first check "nslookup -type=srv _kerberos._tcp.ad.domain.com" and then use "nslookup -type=srv _kerberos._tcp.AD.DOMAIN.COM" it works.

My guess is that the internal cache is used then.

Also if the FWD DNS is not reachable, the normal DNS is used and cached which can result in the wrong IP being stored in the cache, if the forwarded DNS is temporarily unavailable.

msilcher
just joined

Re: 7.1b6 - DNS regex not lowercased and FWD uses and caches default DNS, if unreachable?

Fri May 27, 2022 12:37 am

I realized the same today with stable version 7.2.3. This should be fixed and handled as lowercase queries!!

nicodonald
just joined

Re: 7.1b6 - DNS regex not lowercased and FWD uses and caches default DNS, if unreachable?

Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:11 pm

Yes, same with the current stable 7.3.1 but it's correctly working with the current testing 7.4.rc2