Community discussions

MikroTik App

uberdome
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

MLAG and L3 HW Offload - Eventually In SwOS?

Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:20 pm

I am very excited about the recent additions of MLAG and L3 Hardware Offload in v7 beta.

I have also recently become excited about how well SwOS works. I'd like to know: is there any expectation of implementing MLAG and/or L3 Hardware Offload in SwOS?

Thank you, Chris

StubArea51
Trainer
Trainer

Re: MLAG and L3 HW Offload - Eventually In SwOS?

Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:40 pm

SwOS is designed for very basic switching use cases - i'd be very surprised if MLAG and L3 made it in there. It might not be the best use of development resources considering it's going to take a lot of work to get those features tested and stable in RouterOS.

uberdome
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:54 pm

SwOS is designed for very basic switching use cases - i'd be very surprised if MLAG and L3 made it in there. It might not be the best use of development resources considering it's going to take a lot of work to get those features tested and stable in RouterOS.

I understand what you're describing, but I think SwOS is particularly underrated. It seems to me the vast majority of tasks that are needed in hardware from a MikroTik switch can be done with SwOS (I only started using it about 2 months ago while I had been using RouterOS for many years prior).

I'm curious, what switching capabilities do you usually use or see used in RouterOS that are not available in SwOS (Excluding MLAG and L3, of course)?

raimondsp
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:11 am

I cannot speak for MLAG, but regarding L3HW: SWOS operates on L2 only; it does not support routing, and, therefore, it cannot do L3 HW offloading.

uberdome
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:22 pm

I cannot speak for MLAG, but regarding L3HW: SWOS operates on L2 only; it does not support routing, and, therefore, it cannot do L3 HW offloading.
I thought SwOS was "hardware only" rather than "L2 only". That is why I had hopes that the hardware based L3 features might be included. The only real difference between the CSS and CRS switches are the CPU capabilities as far as I understand, so all hardware switching features should technically be available in either.

dakobg
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:55 pm

LAG is supported already, I believe MLAG is a logical step for SwOS. However MLAG will require some basic L3 as well to be implemented ...