Community discussions

MikroTik App

upower3
Topic Author

Any release date for 7.x expectation?

Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:06 am

It is already years that ROS 7.x is upcoming but none is arrived as release. Yes, it was renamed so name appears to be not so unserious but after all, "beta is better then nothing", not release of any kind.

Ok, I understand you guys should produce a lot of things, so ROS7 is not the only target (and yes all this COVID around pushes you to slow down the operations), but may I please ask what are the expected date when you think 7.x may be released to public and can be used "in the wild" as stable branch?

OvcaX
just joined

Re: Any release date for 7.x expectation?

Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:58 am

Last time i asked support about that the answer was
We are working hard on MPLS and BGP to deliver ROSv7 as fast as possible, unfortunately, I cannot give you any timeframe.
This was at start of this year. With this tempo I personally do not think this will be production ready in 2021.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:58 am

What is "release" in your opinion? There is v7 on the download page. Apparently it was released somehow.

huntermic
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:01 am

What is "release" in your opinion? There is v7 on the download page. Apparently it was released somehow.
Seriously Normis, please stop this nonsense.
There is a beta but no stable release.

sergejs
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:05 am

Current available v7beta might be working on many setups, we are working on making routing ready for productions setups, and as well polishing other features.
In case you have tried v7.x on your test devices, let us know about any issues.

huntermic
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:10 am

Current available v7beta might be working on many setups, we are working on making routing ready for productions setups, and as well polishing other features.
Thanks Sergejs, this is a much better answer.
Unfortunately i’m unable to use this v7 beta because i need igmp-proxy but i’ll wait patiently …..

Paternot
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:56 pm

His question was quite clear:

"...may I please ask what are the expected date when you think 7.x may be released to public and can be used "in the wild" as stable branch?"

He wants to know when we will see a "stable, production ready, V7". At the moment it isn't stable.

willy
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:06 am

Sorry, but only one example:

I have a logged ticket about 6 months ago, the product (Chateau) works only with v7.x, I bought this more than _a year_ ago. I'm still not be able to replace my current MT device to this new because missing features.
Furthermore, I get excuses in every month, on February it was 1 month, then again one, and so far. I don't expect anything else, only to have a *release plan* to know when I should try to upgrade again. Really, it would not hurt to say, we plan to release 7.x to GA in 2022 only.
But certainly, I would not call the current routing solution to a "requires only polishing". Please feel free to refute me.

DarkNate
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:31 am

Come on man, you're a MikroTik employee. Why are you trolling? You are only harming the image/reputation of your own company which is already decades behind competitors such as Cisco, Juniper and hell even VyOS.

Folks, start looking into open source L3 switches as routers instead! Maybe Cumulus Linux is a good start.

DarkNate
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:32 am

Sorry, but only one example:

I have a logged ticket about 6 months ago, the product (Chateau) works only with v7.x, I bought this more than _a year_ ago. I'm still not be able to replace my current MT device to this new because missing features.
Furthermore, I get excuses in every month, on February it was 1 month, then again one, and so far. I don't expect anything else, only to have a *release plan* to know when I should try to upgrade again. Really, it would not hurt to say, we plan to release 7.x to GA in 2022 only.
But certainly, I would not call the current routing solution to a "requires only polishing". Please feel free to refute me.
MikroTik support is famous for arrogance and lack of human communication skills:

See here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=171390#p838713

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:22 pm

[
MikroTik support is famous for arrogance and lack of human communication skills:
Well, I think to be fair one should consult an expert on Latvian culture. Arrogance may be considered a positive trait and thus an expected norm, for example.....

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:04 pm

Well frankly it is a little disappointing that there is no absolute priority to bring feature parity between v7 and v6 so that at least we could start testing v7 on actual devices. I have been running a CHR with v7 to play with for some time, and have gone through the difficulty of damaging the install and having to start from scratch when merely updating it. That is fine with a beta but I would not like to have that on remote routers. So in-place update has to work perfectly.

And, to be able to do any testing we need functioning BGP + filters and perfectly working IPv6 (at least what v6 can do but preferably more).
Only when a beta is released that provides that, I could consider testing in the actual network, to find the issues there may still be left.

The point is that by releasing betas that add other features (let's encrypt, hardware accelerated routing etc) and do not finish unfinished business (like BGP) you are wasting our time (because we cannot switch anyway) and your own time (because you do not get the issue reports you need).

OvcaX
just joined

Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:36 pm

Is this serious?
Are you a one man bad company or serious company?

ROSv7 is beeing promissed for years.
Everyone is already pissed of about the delays and beta project pushed as production ready.

Get a grip guys.

kiler129

Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:10 pm

I once wrote a longer post about that: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=175201&p=857545#p857545

MT most likely has a long technical debt but what they did with v7 is amazing. They’re going in a right direction. However expecting them to get a firm release date with such a project is at best foolish.

willy
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:21 am

I once wrote a longer post about that: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=175201&p=857545#p857545

MT most likely has a long technical debt but what they did with v7 is amazing. They’re going in a right direction. However expecting them to get a firm release date with such a project is at best foolish.
I do not know what area you work, but I can't imagine anything what can work without objectives. Also, I have not seen anything working without milestones. This is the first part of the business decision. I worked on some IT products, some leader says the objective is what we have right now, communicate that as success and the other planned features come as updates, some other have dreams about a minimum and force it even if it could break the firm (you already know some of them, they were/are very famed because of the results of their "vision")
1. Nobody says MT does bad job on development (mostly because we don't see the development decisions)
2, Nobody expects to have a specific date for the release.
3, But all MT customers deserves to see the picture and the high-level plan

We have just two opposing facts here:
1, There are devices which run on v7 only. (as my example, I bought one about a year ago)
2, The routing interface was wholly different this January, but there was a decision to change that in beta status

What does it mean? If you release a device in the middle of 2020, that is a message, you plan to release your software as production ready soon. Then you change the routing configuration interface (and probably all under) in 6 months this means you have not even reached the alpha status, you are in a planing phase. If you give out mixed messages about when it could be usable, it means you don't have any idea when it can be ready because you don't know your objective.

I believe most reasonable people would be grateful getting a milestone plan (what can be changed of course) but saying something similar as release plan is not possible with such a kind of product sounds like you have no idea how an IT project can be successful.

As my experience MT is more professional, than not having a plan, they change those based on business decisions. I asked them to share these plans with the community if they already made them dependent on the new software release with incompatible hardware.

gdanov
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:59 am

yes, and apparently is crappy as elephant with diarrhea, as you might've noticed.

Well' be on the 6.x LTS branch for years to come, judging from the attitude and the results so far.

stuartkoh

Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:18 pm

I think you could have posted a more friendly reply.

I would have told the OP that while it's still in beta, a lot of progress is being made. Also: "We can't yet give an exact timeline for a full stable public release, but please be patient."

Your reply came off as being snarky, and that's not what we need from you as a representative of Mikrotik.

Most people here like Mikrotik's products and want to get the new features that will come with a stable v7. If they're impatient, well, they're impatient. Customers are often impatient. :-) You just have to try to soothe them and keep letting them know that it will be ready when it's ready.

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:33 pm

The stable release of 7.x is coming out, the launch date is ๒๒๒๒๐๒๒

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:40 pm

Id be happy with Wireguard in the next 6.5 release LOL, nothing else I need ;-PP