Community discussions

MikroTik App

goodbye
Topic Author

USB LTE/5G/GPS issues - 7.1beta6

Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:17 pm

Hello, and thank you for reading!

Since I can't get a Chateau 5G appropriate for the US bands, I kind of rolled my own with a Quectel RM502q-AE via external m.2-to-USB3 enclosure to a RB3011 (the one and only RouterBoard with a USB3 interface, and I happened to have one on the shelf).

It's been a bit bumpy, but we're mostly working! And it's a huge upgrade from the LtAP mini R11e-LTE-US kit we had been using as a backup for a few years now. :-)

My two residual issues: GNSS/GPS & dual-stack IPv4/IPv6
  • GNSS/GPS:
    • I've had it working, twice, when the stars aligned and the gods were pleased with the offerings...
    • Problem/Bug:
      • The USB2 'serial' port that populates is usually in a broken state after creation. It's there, but it shows "I"nactive in the status. Trying to actually do anything with the port throws an "already in use" type of error, but that's misleading; (I believe)/(it 'feels like') the logical usb2 "port object" isn't actually logically connected to the modem anymore.
      • In fact, in that state it just lets you 'delete' the port since it's not actually connected to anything.
      • Once deleted, the port never repopulates on its own.
    • Troubleshooting:
      • The only way I've gotten it to 'populate again' is to use a USB 3.0 hub and plug the modem into a new port so that RouterOS identifies it as a new device instead of one it's already seen. Most times, the usb2 'port' is broken from the start. A few times, I feel like with just the right timing of replugging the modem, letting it start to boot, then rebooting the RB3011 while the modem is still booting so that the modem is 'ready' by the time RouterOS discovers the USB objects. When it works, it will work for that boot only; rebooting either device leaves usb2 in a broken state.
      • I've gone through several iterations of usb hubs daisy-chained to create a different USB topology for additional attempts.
      • In all of these attempts, the cellular "lte1" connection works every time and it connects to T-Mobile quickly and happily.
      • Just so it's said, I definitely have additional power connected since the RB3011's USB port is only rated to 1A and I don't want to push it. The outside of "trying it just to see if it made a difference", the modem enclosure is never directly connected to the RB4011's USB port. The USB port goes to one or another high-quality powered USB3.0 hub (or chain of them). Further, the enclosure has a supplementary micro usb port for supplmentary power; I have it connected to a 5V 2.4A usb charger.
        Power is sorted out.
    • Notes because I'm a "Team Player" :-)
      • USB Channels
        1. GNSS/NMEA output
        2. Modem serial AT interface
        3. GNSS/NMEA serial AT interface
      • Working GPS Port Configuration when the stars align (may need to tweak it a bit for your topology):
        /system gps
        set channel=1 coordinate-format=dms enabled=yes init-string="" port=usb2 set-system-time=yes

It did take some fiddling in the AT interfaces to make it all 'the way I wanted it'. I can provide some of that if anyone wants it.
  • Cellular IPv4/v6 Dual-Stack Option is Missing
    • Problem/Bug: Unlike RouterOS 6.x, there is no option when configuring the LTE APN for a dual-stack IP configuration.
      • In this RouterOS 7 beta, the options for IP Type is only 'Auto', 'IPv4', and 'IPv6'.
      • In current RouterOS 6, the options are IPv4, IPv6, and 'IPv4 and IPv6'.
      • While an auto-sensing / "use the default network-advertised APN settings" option is a welcome edition, the loss of the ability to specify and configure a dual-stack configuration is unnecessarily limiting. Please tweak! :-)
Thank you for coming to my Ted Talk! :-)

Warm Regards
goodbye

jukor
just joined

Re: USB LTE/5G/GPS issues - 7.1beta6

Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:15 pm

• Cellular IPv4/v6 Dual-Stack Option is Missing
    • Problem/Bug: Unlike RouterOS 6.x, there is no option when configuring the LTE APN for a dual-stack IP configuration.
      • In this RouterOS 7 beta, the options for IP Type is only 'Auto', 'IPv4', and 'IPv6'.
      • In current RouterOS 6, the options are IPv4, IPv6, and 'IPv4 and IPv6'.
      • While an auto-sensing / "use the default network-advertised APN settings" option is a welcome edition, the loss of the ability to specify and configure a dual-stack configuration is unnecessarily limiting. Please tweak! :-)
Echoing this.

goodbye
Topic Author

Re: USB LTE/5G/GPS issues - 7.1beta6

Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:49 am

Hey @normis!

It'd be super awesome and such if you were to reply/acknowledge the USB2 port issue. :-)

Thank you!