Community discussions

MikroTik App

ath
just joined
Topic Author

Feature Request: Shared VLAN Learning (SVL)

Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:57 am

Setting vlan-filtering=yes for a bridge activates independent VLAN learning (IVL) so that each VLAN has a separate MAC address table. It's not possible to configure shared VLAN learning (SVL) so that the bridge has only one MAC address table for all VLANs. This means that it's not possible to configure asymmetric VLANs as described in Annex F of IEEE Std 802.1Q-2018 like D-Link switches, for example, can.

It would appear that SVL is simpler to implement than IVL, so would it be possible to include an option such as vlan-learning=independent|shared for bridges?

pcunite
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Feature Request: Shared VLAN Learning (SVL)

Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:38 am

Can you provide a link to the document you are referring to? What I understand about the benefits of an Asymmetric VLAN (after searching) is that you can have two VLANs in the same broadcast domain. You don't need a router as packets actually get switched. You can have a custom MAC table with two or more VLANs in it?

Why would they be separate, yet shared, is not yet clear to many. Normally, I would use a router, but a switch that can do it all is interesting. I think the use case is when you have a standard VLAN, many hosts in it. Then you have a special VLAN, with a small number of servers or printers. Several VLANs, that will never access each other, all access this one special VLAN a certain way.

Can you control broadcasts in certain directions?

ath
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Feature Request: Shared VLAN Learning (SVL)

Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:47 am

The standard is available at no cost through the IEEE GET Program: ieeexplore.ieee.org/browse/standards/get-program/page.

SVL is useful for making a host (e.g. a server) accessible from multiple VLANs. Annex F provides the details. The server is not in a special VLAN, rather it is connected to a special (shared) port.

I don't beleive that it's possible to control broadcasts in certain directions, but I'd advise reading the standard and deciding for yourself.