MikroTik App

infabo
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Netinstall error

Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:52 am

Anyone else has ever had this error?

Regardless of netinstall version. It happens with netinstall 7.1rc1, 7.0.3, 6.48.4. It just does not matter which version. Always the "assertation failed" error.
Mikrotik support could not help me, as it "must be a local issue" of mine.

Windows 10 21H1 / 19043.1165
image.png
image-1.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

infabo
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Re: Netinstall error

Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:31 am

Then I thought: hey, this may be a local Windows 10 PC issue.

Let's try on my Manjaro Linux machine. I failed to get this netinstall.exe running on Wine. At least the device showed up - but I could not start the installation itself.

So now on my Macbook Pro, Big Sur, installed wine-stable and it runs.

But you know what? The same f*** error when I execute the netinstall on this f*** device of Chateau LTE12.
Bildschirmfoto 2021-08-24 um 01.32.59.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

infabo
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:38 am

What happened to this particular Mikrotik device? This error does not go away. No matter how often I re-try netinstall.

helipos
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:18 am

Do you have another Mikrotik device you can Netinstall on?
If I was a betting man I would say this is a computer issue.

vecernik87
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:44 am

Assert function in programming is used to compare variable with expected value and fail if they don't correspond. Failure usually crashes the program.
In other words, It is intentionally written condition and its purpose is to help developers notice a problem (which could otherwise end up with much worse consequence).

There is nothing you can do unless you see the source code. Surely it is "local" problem, but support (or rather programmers) are the only ones who can interpret the error and explain what exactly is wrong with your local system.

ps: You said you are flashing chateau... I don't know if that is related but it may be - Chateau is v7 only and has its own (secret) stable v7 version installed. I suspect the public v7 may not work and this assert might be saving you from a bricked device.

nescafe2002
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:02 am

I had the same issue. Sent to support. Note that the netinstall completes successfully. You just have to manually reboot the device.

Win10 netinstall/netinstall64 7.1rc1 RB2011.

infabo
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:50 am

If I was a betting man I would say this is a computer issue.
I tried to netinstall from 2 completely different computers.

ONE Windows 10 PC

ONE APPLE MacOS

Both show the same error message.

This is clearly not a "oh my damn personal computer is messed up" thing.

infabo
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:55 am

@vecernik87 you are more or less on the right.

It is some local problem, but with my Chateau apparently.

The usual way, when one reports such errors to a software vendor is: you get a debug-enabled binary that writes a debug-logfile you hand back for their software-engineers to analyze.

Regarding Chateau and its secret stable: look at my screenshots in opening post. I tried to flash ROS 7.0.3 with 7.0.3 netinstall. 7.0.3 is the current official stable ROS release for Chateau. If one cannot flash this version that runs on thousands of other Chateaus - what the heck.

infabo
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:07 am

Basically one observation I made:

Despite the error-message, the Chateau directly reboots afterwards automatically and boots up successfully.

Even though the device works afterwards it is still frightening to run a device with confidence, when Netinstall showed such a fatal error.

Everybody recommends Netinstall, when a device does not behave normally. "Do a netinstall" bla bla bla.

Even Mikrotik WIKI says:

Netinstall re-formats the device's disk and copies over fresh files on to the system's disk, this can solve multiple issues when your device is not working properly. Always try using Netinstall if you suspect that your device is not working properly.

When this essential thing Netinstall FAILS, it makes me like: Why should I use netinstall when it is not capable of properly re-initializing a Mikrotik device? When it triggers new errors? What kind of tool is that?

vecernik87
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Netinstall error  [SOLVED]

Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:35 am

... I tried to flash ROS 7.0.3 with 7.0.3 netinstall. 7.0.3 is the current official stable ROS release for Chateau. If one cannot flash this version that runs on thousands of other Chateaus - what the heck.
I understand that. However I still suspect, it may apply to all chateau devices. What I mean is - although your 7.0.3 is considered "stable" it may not be well tested for netinstall. It may be stable for normal use for example. I don't know how many people bought chateau, but it won't be huge number. And just a small fraction of them will ever need to flash it with netinstall. You may even be a pioneer in this area.

I fully agree this should not be happening but unfortunately, I don't have chateau to test it and I don't intend to buy it. Purchasing v7-only devices at this moment seems similar to preordering videogames. And everyone knows whats the first rule of preordering videogames - you don't preorder them. Right?

infabo
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:09 am

I netinstalled 7.1beta5 back when it arrived. No issue. Went smooth.

But as always: regressions are everywhere. Any release can break even the most basic functionality. That is what I learned in 9month using Chateau.

infabo
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:45 am

And just a small fraction of them will ever need to flash it with netinstall. You may even be a pioneer in this area.
I am afraid to say this: I think you are right.

Mikrotik finally was able to reproduce the issue in their labs.