Community discussions

MikroTik App

giulianoz
Topic Author

7.1rc1 upgrade - config lost and restore fails

Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:41 pm

Hi,
I have an hex s and I upgraded from beta6 to rc1.
After the reboot the config was gone and restoring a cloud backup (encrypted, 233kb if it matters) fails with no errors and no config at all after the reboot.

I tried to manually downgrade th beta6 (mipse), but the version is still rc1 after the reboot.
I can switch to v6 using system package’s update, but I can not manually update to beta6.

Questions:
Is there any way to know where backup load fails ?
Is there a way, except to restore to a chr image and re-export, to decrypt the backup file ? I have a Mac and a Linux pc, but I can get a windows machine if needed
How can I troubleshoot the failed installation of beta6 ? I never had an issue with manual up/downgrade

Thanks

giulianoz
Topic Author

Re: 7.1rc1 upgrade - config lost and restore fails

Sun Aug 29, 2021 4:42 am

Update:
I tried to restore the backup on a chr machine (beta6) and it restores to an empty config :(
I also tried with routeros-backup-tools and it decrypts to garbage

Any suggestion ? Except for keeping unencrypted backups…

Thanks

mducharme
Trainer
Trainer

Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:52 am

Try to reset to no-defaults and then manually upload 7.1beta6 and hit the downgrade button in system->packages. Otherwise you can try to netinstall 7.1beta6 and this should be successful.

Since this is beta software, it would be advisable to not only do a .backup file but also export an .rsc backup. The changing syntax means that the backup might not restore properly in the next version.

giulianoz
Topic Author

Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:59 am

Thanks for the suggestion!
I ended up with a full reconfiguration (and cleanup). The backup file was almost double the size of the previous one (470kb), so probably the backup got corrupted …

Thanks again