Community discussions

MikroTik App

estit
just joined
Topic Author

Wireguard isn't using the right IP-Address for outgoing packets

Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:23 pm

Hello,

I upgraded my Mikrotik hEX (RB750Gr3) to RouterOSv7.1rc4 this morning. Great work so far!
I noticed, that WireGuard isn't using the same IP-Address as source for "answers", that was used as destination before. I didn't found similar forum posts, so i describe my issue below. :-)

Real-Life-Example:
My Router has two WAN interfaces using default routes in different routing tables. While the primary WAN interface (CGNAT/100.65.105.240) uses the main table, the secondary WAN interface (195.201.47.xxx) uses another table. I've implemented that with connection and routing marks. That setup works really well for a long time now.

The wireguard interface listens on port 28563 and is reachable over the secondary WAN interface (packets arriving at the router).
This is a connection-table entry for an incoming connection:
Connectiontable-Incoming.png
The problem is, that outgoing packets not using the correct IP-Address as source (195.201.47.xxx in this example) but 100.65.105.240 from the primary WAN interface, causing a new connection-table entry, so answering packets aren't mapped to the correct connection-table entry from the screenshot above:
Connectiontable-Outgoing.png
This leads to miss-routed packets with a wrong source-address:
Packetsniffer.png
The connection cannot be established.

I know, that Wireguard uses the connection-less UDP, so I tried to reproduce that with a wireguard interface on a Linux machine with two ip addresses on a single network interface. The linux machine uses the correct IP-Address as source for answering packets. It doesn't matter, if I use the primary or secondary address as destination there:
Linux-Network-Config.png
Linux-Primary-IP.png
Linux-Secondary-IP.png
I tried some workarounds with output mangling and src-nat. But that doesn't work either.

Maybe you can help? If you have questions about that, just ask!

EDIT:
I tested three other scenarios on Mikrotik.
1.: TCP-Connection to the secondary WAN IP (195.201.47.xxx / SSH): Returing packets are routed correctly via the secondary IP/interface/connection-table-entry. Works.
2.: Wireguard Connection to an (internal) interface with two IPs (like the test on the Linux machine): Works on both IPs as intended.
3.: Wireguard Connection from an internal interface to the secondary IP (195.201.47.xxx): Works, IP and connection-table-entry is mapped correctly.

I think, the problem cause may lies in the use of different routing-tables?

EDIT END.

Greetings from Germany,
Erik.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by estit on Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

rplant
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Wireguard isn't using the right IP-Address for outgoing packets  [SOLVED]

Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:07 am

Hi,
I have a hap ac^2 and had very similar issues a couple of ROS versions ago (and older).
With both wireguard and openvpn(udp) But for wireguard (only) it has been fixed (fully? not sure)
I assume the fix would also apply to the HEX.
It is now working, I am using routing rules for the routing.

They are something like:

If destination ip is in private address range then lookup main table (3 rules)
if source ip is router-wan1 then lookup via-wan1
if source ip is router-wan2 then lookup via-wan2
if routing mark is via-wan1 then lookup via-wan1
if routing mark is via wan2 then lookup via-wan2

I also have an early accept mangle rule on output, when the udp source port is wireguard (or openvpn)
So no routing marks get applied to it.

estit
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Wireguard isn't using the right IP-Address for outgoing packets

Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:51 pm

Hi,
I was a little busy last week. Sorry for my delayed answer.

Your hint with simple routing rules did it! I created two policy routing rules inspired by your example:
SRC: 195.201.47.xxx/32 (IP Address from secondary WAN-IF); Min-Prefix: 1; Action: Lookup; Table: main
SRC: 195.201.47.xxx/32 (IP Address from secondary WAN-IF); Action: Lookup; Table: Secondary-WAN-Table
PBR.png
The first rule looks up the best route in main table, if there is a better one than default (e.g. for internal connections). When there is no such route (e.g. internet ip-address), then lookup is done in the Secondary-WAN-Table (which only has a default rule)

The outgoing Packets have the right IP now and are mapped to the right connection-table entry.
ConnectionTable.png
I'm still not sure, if that is a expected behavior, but it works for me. :-)

Thank you very much!

Erik
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

estit
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Wireguard isn't using the right IP-Address for outgoing packets

Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:04 pm

TL;DR for other users with the same problem:

WireGuard doesn’t recognise (output) mangle rules.
You have to use PBR Rules!