Community discussions

mschafer
just joined
Topic Author

PPTP through Nat.

Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:33 pm

I can't find the GRE helper anymore in the 3.0rc5,6.
I am an ISP. Since installing 3.0rc, my customers are unable to connect to a PPTP VPN through the Mikrotik NAT. I am srcnat'ing people behind 1 IP address. I have the service port PPTP enabled. I have no firewall rules blocking PPTP. I can't find the GRE protocol service port anywhere. I think that is blocking the PPTP. I have not found any other docs that explain much on PPTP, GRE through the Mikrotik. I am finding it harder than I believe it is. What am I missing?

Mike

jwcn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: PPTP through Nat.

Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:29 am

Upgrade to full version 3 available to download now. I will research and get back. Busy upgrading all my RB's now.

sergejs
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:06 am

PPTP service-port helper should be enough to bypass PPTP tunnels over NAT.
Try to follow jwcn suggestion and upgrade to 3.0 version, let us know about the results.

caw
just joined

Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:53 pm

I have the same behavior on several releases up to and including RC10. The PPTP passthrough worked fine on v2.9. As stated earlier v2.9 had a PPTP and a GRE helper.

I've installed v3.0 and do not see a GRE helper.

jwcn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:28 am

IP
Firewall
Service Ports
PPTP

caw
just joined

Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:22 pm

IP
Firewall
Service Ports
PPTP
Understood. This still does not allow a PPTP session to passthrough NAT. This stopped working in v3.0 release candidates. It worked in v2.9.

More accurately this is a double NAT situation. The customer behind the MT has a SOHO router, Linksys, Netgear, DLink, etc... If that customer is NAT'd through the MT then they can not get a successful PPTP session (even with the aforementioned PPTP Service Port/helper). If this customer is removed from NAT and given a routable IP then PPTP works correctly. We have a large number of customers that we have to remove from NAT and assign a routable IP address to when we upgrade a site from v2.9 to v3.0. Also we are only using the MT as a router, no wireless cards, no MT AP, no MT CPE.

jwcn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:12 am

I have upgraded my MT network to all v3.0 except for my home. I will upgrade here later tonight and see if I can replicate your problem and get back to you.

Are they using a PPTP VPN?

caw
just joined

Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:22 am

I have upgraded my MT network to all v3.0 except for my home. I will upgrade here later tonight and see if I can replicate your problem and get back to you.

Are they using a PPTP VPN?
Yes.

gmsmstr
Trainer
Trainer

Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:48 am

I am sending out multiple PPTP tunnels though my 3.0 router with caching and have not had any issues as of yet.
Dennis Burgess, MCTCE, MTCNA, MCTCTE, MTCWE, MTCNIE, A+, N+, MCP, MTCSE Mikrotik Certified Consultant / Trainer
Need Mikrotik Support: http://www.linktechs.net -- Link Technologies, Inc.
-- Author of "Learn RouterOS: Second Edition"

billjr@wow-tel.com
just joined

Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:16 pm

I am having the same problem. We are using masquerade for our customers. Any customer who is using a SOHO router needs the GRE helper. This is missing in 3.0 How can we add it? How can we fix this problem?