Community discussions

mgiammarco

Re: Feature Request: OpenVPN [ovpn] udp tunnels

Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:40 am

Is it a joke or what?

1) UDP is suggested from openvpn creators and works better than tcp
2) apart from this ALL MY PARTNERS HAVE OPENVPN ON UDP and they will not change their setup because I HAVE A MIKROTIK. They laugh and says to me that debian or pfsense is free....

dtoffo
Trainer
Trainer

Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:04 pm

Is it a joke or what?

2) apart from this ALL MY PARTNERS HAVE OPENVPN ON UDP and they will not change their setup because I HAVE A MIKROTIK. They laugh and says to me that debian or pfsense is free....

I'm also a long-time openvpn user: I think there is no other so "simple" (not for starters, but once configured ...) solution for vpn:
- maybe sstp has a good future (I didn't try it for now), but for now it's only for Windows vista, seven or 2008... too few opeating systems (... and Microsoft will not port it to XP, the most stable among their products!)
- ipsec is too difficult to implement if you don't have static addresses: it's not flexible.
- pptp is old protocol, only partially functioning behind nat, and you can't manage routes in the tunnel

So I say: OK, Mikrotik don't want us to use openvpn anymore, but which is a real alternative, with the same flexibility?
Give me a good alternative and I'll be happy to put ovpn out of the window. For "good" I mean:
- little protocol overhead (as in ovpn over udp)
- push configuration and routes from server to client (as ovpn does)
- nat and dynamic address proof (as ovpn)
These are the reasons, I think, that generated this thread.

The limited support to openvpn is really the only point I hate in routeros, for all my other needs is great.

I hope that Mikrotik team will reconsider ovpn support and implementation, or give a hint for a better protocol to use

Davide

void
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:49 pm

+1

Mikrotik, please listen to your customers and don't implement new VPN protocols nobody is waiting for (SSTP).

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:51 pm

To be fair, I'm sure that many people are or will be happy with SSTP. It has considerable advantages over solutions previously available in Windows (I mean by default, without third-party software). So SSTP support in ROS is a good thing.

But for now, for me and many others, the best VPN solution is still OpenVPN and better support from MikroTik would be real nice. I have seen that famous "our developers almost all committed suicide trying to make it work" comment, which made me abandon almost all hope, but I still think some more suicide-proof developers must exist somewhere and MikroTik could hire them to make their users (i.e. us) happy. ;)

elgo
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:21 pm

I completly agree with you, MT should remove any mention on routerOS "supporting OpenVPN".
(like in official brochure: Point to point tunneling: OpenVPN,etc)
RB450G - OpenWrt (so much more stable than with routerOS)
-> now: UBNT EdgeRouter Lite

(very unlikely to be MT customer again in the future)

syadnom

Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:52 pm

+1 for udp

for site-2-site:
ipsec doesn't play nice with dynamic IP addresses and routeros doesnt implement any automated process to update VPN configs based on WAN address.
I have made IPSEC work buy ipsec 'transport' between the two WAN addresses and then an ipip/eoip tunnel between the WAN addresses. With dynamic clients I have to do a script to update the WAN address on a schedule. This should be an option to automate *OR* better yet, put a variable in the src-address to be $WANIP1$. Maybe in the ip address entry there can be a checkbox for VPNWANIP1 or something. Even better, make an ipsec client/server interface and do all the dirtywork behind the scenes, allowing for dynamic addressed clients and dns based server address(es)

pptp is old and crap.

lt2p is not secure without ipsec, then I need static WAN addresses so it is about equal to ipsec

openvpn is broken in routeros, no UDP

sstp is only tcp and cna suffer from tcp meltdown.

I would suggest you get on this pretty quick, vyatta is a pretty solid system and ubiquiti is deploying their edgeos product based on vyatta pretty soon (some say March)

piyokos
just joined

Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:10 pm

i can understand some routeros-specific openvpn oddities, like the use of auth-user-pass, since it allows openvpn to fit in with the rest of the system. but tcp-only mode for openvpn is a limitation that seems to be present for no reason at all. i think the mikrotik people became so angry with openvpn that they intentionally crippled it to punish it's users. eastern european developers can be vengeful bunch...

elgo
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:44 pm

eastern european developers can be vengeful bunch...
They may have no idea how angry future ex-consumers can cripple a business.

dtoffo
Trainer
Trainer

Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:15 pm

For me I think that ovpn yes or no is not the only parameter to select routeros or other products. I'm sure that if it was a simple implementation they would have done it years ago.
I just hope that someone at Mikrotik says us: "well, you will not use ovpn anymore, cause we now support <????> that is really better". That would be a great! RouterOs developers ARE great ... think about nv2, for example!
Let me say a technically stupid thing, but just to explain an idea: I'll be better if I'll have an "nv2 over udp" :?: !

piyokos
just joined

Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:20 pm

well, we test software all the time that does not meet our specific needs (often for unintelligible reasons) and we move on since you cannot really make demands on anyone unless you are the one writing the paychecks. people who buy licenses are just cattle :) but this is extra strange. i mean, they even modified openvpn to accept multiple encryption types (totally worthless), but they could not be bothered to allow to accept both/either protocol? makes no sense to me!

Davis
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:53 pm

I think OpenVPN needs a bit different approach. I think MikroTik can make it as less as possible integrated with everything else (e.g. user specifies OpenVPN instances, for each instance an interface from dropdown and config text is specified, imho all keys, certificates etc. can be stored also in a subfolder in FTP).
I think it may be hard to integrate OpenVPN in existing architecture, but it should be relatively simple just to compile it and make a very simple user interface to it.
A good example is Cyanogenmod for Android and it's very limited OpenVPN "integration", there exist an alternative - application (OpenVPN settings) that has options to start/stop OpenVPN instances and a configurable folder for configuration files (that's all - all configuration is up to user and that is what most users want).
I think that other OpenVPN users can express their opinions about this compromise (that may be relatively easy for MikroTik to implement). And based on user feedback MikroTik can judge how good investment in their business this would be.

Of course I (as MikroTik user) want this, because it would solve most (currently all) of my OpenVPN issues with MikroTik.

piyokos
just joined

Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:06 pm

it is very easy to make mikrotik-compatible openvpn configurations on any operating system, so it is not a show-stopping issue there, just a little annoying. but the lack of udp openvpn support is a huge performance problem which cannot be worked around.

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:36 pm

It's not show-stopping if you're in charge of things and can live with some compromises and shortcomings. But try to connect to someone else's standard server. Ooops...
... but it should be relatively simple just to compile it and make a very simple user interface to it.
Putting standard OpenVPN in ROS would be great. And as much as WinBox is probably the main reason why I like ROS so much, I'd happily make an exception for OpenVPN and live with "paste your text config here" type of GUI.
On the other hand, I'm not sure if it would be enough. I mean things like handling of interfaces, addresses, routes, I don't think MikroTik would want something else messing with them aside. So it would probably require a little more integration, meaning changing OpenVPN code and that in turn would bring licence issues I guess... But in this case it would be nice to be wrong. :)

piyokos
just joined

Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:27 am

if mikrotik added these openvpn client features it would be able to connect to 99% of "standard" servers, no raw configuration needed:
  • comp-lzo support
  • some way to disable auth-user-pass (the servers i configure to have mikrotik clients must have a dummy auth script, what a joke!)
  • tls-auth key support
  • udp support (+fragment/mssfix)

_saik0
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:16 pm

A rather disappointing turn of events for OpenVPN. UDP support seems essential to me.
Why even implement it in such a limited way, it's not like this helps much.

I would suggest pumping up the "votes" on the wiki request page: http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/MikroTik_ ... e_Requests
Perhaps the number of votes from users will be able to stimulate some "suicide immune" developers to do something...

slech
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:06 pm

1. UDP Support
2. Compression support
3. Cert based Auth support
4. Route Push support
5. DNS Suffix support
6. Ldap Authentication
7. DHCP (?)

This will be a very nice VPN solution !!!
Last edited by slech on Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sorry for my english

wpeople

Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:33 am

+1
at least on UDP and compress support.

jerryroy1
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:58 am

So... Based on this thread. Does OpenVpn and Mikrotik work? And if so, is it only between Mikrotik and Mikrotik? If this is the case, does Mikrotik have a VMWare appliance I can run? Then I can have the MT to MT scenario with their version of openvpn

dtoffo
Trainer
Trainer

Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:57 am

So... Based on this thread. Does OpenVpn and Mikrotik work? And if so, is it only between Mikrotik and Mikrotik? If this is the case, does Mikrotik have a VMWare appliance I can run? Then I can have the MT to MT scenario with their version of openvpn

Openvpn on mikrotik works with any openvpn client or server, just you have to configure
- tcp only
- no lzo
- user and password AND keys
- no push options other than addresses, you must configure the other side correctly
I successfully run (the first on each couple is the client)
- mikrotik to mikrotik
- mikrotik to linux (debian)
- linux (centos) to mikrotik
- windows XP and seven to mikrotik

I don't think openvpn on mikrotik is bad, I just think it's a pity that they will not go developing it and they don't propose an alternative.

For the virtual machine:
- you can install the x86 version of routeros on vmware (just like any other pc) using netinstall... it's a matter of seconds.

JanezFord
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed May 23, 2012 11:31 am

Hi

It seems a bit odd (to say at least) to implement a feature as OpenVPN the way that makes it unusable for about 95% (my guess) of existing infrastructure. Not to mention that many of us do NOT always have an ability to change the server's side of configuration and that there are features in place (UDP) for a reason. So please fix this bummer OR add a big WARNING to any mention of OpenVPN on your wikis (Works ONLY with special server config - most uncommon in real world situations).

What openVPN on mikrotik IMHO needs is:

UDP
lzo-comp
push route
client key auth without a must for user/pass

This should be done ASAP and other openvpn features implemented later on to make this implementation 100% compatible with openvpn. Without this features mikrotik openvpn implementation is useless in existing, working (corporate) enviroments - developers should be aware of that.

OpenVPN is not some obscure feature... OpenVPN is used widely today because it's free, safe, quite easy to configure and works great on various software and hardware platforms ... except mikrotik (for now).

my 2 cents.

JF

RB450G

wpeople

Mon May 28, 2012 9:59 pm

to come here by different way - why do we request to ADD UDP support and LZO comp as feature?
OpenVPN package - as it comes in source - support both above (and many others). So I'm asking, why they got removed???

I'm interested if Mikrotik's implementation based on original OpenVPN package, or they wrote their own compatible implementation? (i don't think the last one, since the first is free and working and original -so why waste time and money with it?)
If they are using the original source, do they allowed to remove a basic feature?

andriys
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue May 29, 2012 12:10 am

I'm interested if Mikrotik's implementation based on original OpenVPN package, or they wrote their own compatible implementation? (i don't think the last one, since the first is free and working and original -so why waste time and money with it?)
I assume MikroTik reimplemented the protocol from scratch. The most probable reason is simple- GPL. Totally IMHO.

janisbvp
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue May 29, 2012 7:28 pm

Well, that seems to be the reason.
Honestly, Openvpn as it is in Routeros is by 90% useless.
For the owners of RB450 there is an answer - Openwrt, but for the roadwarrior scenario I hope to see Openwrt on RB750.
I have migrated to x86 with openwrt for just that reason.

MartinEmrich
just joined

Wed May 30, 2012 11:25 am

FYI: We are running two RB750 with native OpenWRT trunk, it works great (including OpenVPN).

I used this tutorial http://blog.poettner.de/2011/05/27/open ... rd-411750/. Don't forget to move to Port 2 after flashing...

janisbvp
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed May 30, 2012 1:49 pm

I used this tutorial http://blog.poettner.de/2011/05/27/open ... rd-411750/. Don't forget to move to Port 2 after flashing...
Missed this one - thank you, MartinEmrich!

elgo
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu May 31, 2012 12:13 pm

Missed this one - thank you, MartinEmrich!
+1, thank you.

esorin0

Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:46 pm

Any updates in this area? Or is there any VPN tunnel fully supported in ROS, that works over UDP? Well, except L2TP...

syadnom

Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:08 pm

no, nothing. some improvements to SSTP, but SSTP isn't good for either low latency or site-to-site.

This single factor has caused me to look elseware. There is another vendor with an nice little router that does open vpn perfectly. Edge something or other...

esorin0

Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:26 pm

EdgeMax is not yet available for buying. And no idea how it will perform, as it is in the "baby" stage. I will buy at least 3 as soon as they are available :)

syadnom

Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:50 pm

EdgeMax is not yet available for buying. And no idea how it will perform, as it is in the "baby" stage. I will buy at least 3 as soon as they are available :)
It may not be 'available' for buying, but they are in some luck individual's hands ;) and they perform very well.

nse60
just joined

Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:00 pm

Cisco VPN group authentication (group name & group password).

esorin0

Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:50 pm

I just hope they support OpenVPN UDP.
I just don't get it why MTK refusest to implement this feature. Their passive-agressive answers on this forum are at least weird. They are inviting you to look someplace else. Too bad, it is a great product, flawed by some really bad choices. Too much "russian" approach in this product development.

syadnom

Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:15 am

I just don't get it why MTK refusest to implement this feature. Their passive-agressive answers on this forum are at least weird. They are inviting you to look someplace else. Too bad, it is a great product, flawed by some really bad choices. Too much "russian" approach in this product development.
Yes, EdgeMAX supports UDP for OVPN.

JanezFord
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:48 am

That's great news ... do you have any more info on their ovpn implementation (lzo, push route, certificate based auth) ... MT lacks all of theese features.

JF

syadnom

Feature Request: OpenVPN [ovpn] udp tunnels

Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:40 pm

That's great news ... do you have any more info on their ovpn implementation (lzo, push route, certificate based auth) ... MT lacks all of theese features.

JF
Easy, search google for vyatta openopen VPN.

prd0000
just joined

Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:47 am

Sorry for bringing this up again, but I can't make ipsec to work at all. Connection is dropping randomly. We are working on multiple site to one site with Citrix XenApp. Citrix got dumped randomly every few minutes on all sites. The only static ip and stable connection are on main office, while other sites are on GPRS connection, some on 3G.

My solution was using vyatta's openvpn on separate machine, but I want to put everything under RB750 we owned, and shut down that old vyatta machine. Efficiency was the main factor.

So, is there any alternative there, for stable openvpn udp with lzo compression? Compression is a MUST. We can't send much data over GPRS connection without compression. MT or anything? Or is there any suggestion what device with stable OpenVPN UDP so that we can replace our MT.

wpeople

Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:01 pm

you have many options - but only a few with Mikrotik
1) use routerboard with linux
2) use routeros with metarouter+openwrt for tunnel (hopefully there is a working package for that)
3) use Wrap/alix boards with linux
4) use atom based pc
5) use a raspberry pi (sadly it has only one NIC onboard) or other linux based small computer

erkel
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:19 pm

Bump,

Please Mikrotik, stop ignoring the issue and please implement UDP for OpenVPN.

void
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:55 pm

I've never seen a company ignoring customers like this. People are requesting this feature for years now. :cry:

justfishing
just joined

Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:13 am

Not to put a damper on things. But I have had all the support I have needed and haven't had a single box brick since I kept using and put out even more SonicWALL's.

Yes they cost more. But for business stuff, it is worth not only my time, but reputation. When I was asking the MT vendors about what to use, even they were like: why dont you use such and such instead?

I do love MT's stuff, but not enough to put ny lively-hood on it.

Just my 2 cents worth...

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

friction

Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:36 am

Thank for bringing up a thread more than a year old.
What about automatically locking topic after let say 6 months of inactivity?
not all topics get irrelevant after 6 months
For me this topic will never become irrelevant as long it is not implemented.

There is simply no alternative as flexible as OpenVPN with udp...

Like mentioned before... I won't mind even if we have to specify a regular openvpn configuration file, as long as it works...
I am not a complete idiot, some parts are missing. [CCNA Sec / CCNP / LPIC-1]

wpeople

Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:33 pm

what about offering a bounty for OpenVPN to Mikrotik? :-)

elgo
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:58 pm

what about offering a bounty for OpenVPN to Mikrotik? :-)
You mean like paying a second time for a "feature" you already bought? Mmmmmm... :?

neptune
just joined

Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:38 pm

We're mid-2013 already, and still no news of any udp support for RouterOS openvpn ?

DerSchaman
just joined

Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:52 pm

+1
It has been repeatedly voiced by the addition of UDP requests to OpenVPN. Though approximate voiced plans to gentlemen developers :)).

agrevtcev
just joined

Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:44 am

In fact, there's no anything such flexible as openvpn on market. So UDP and route-push support would be great.

naxos
just joined

Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:22 pm

I've already read many threads here about requests for UDP support for OpenVPN and I wasn't able to find one explanation why it is not supported or why it is not planned to be supported :-/ It's really shame :/

So count me as another customer "begging" for this feature. I think there is plenty of us. ;)

efaden
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:05 am

I've already read many threads here about requests for UDP support for OpenVPN and I wasn't able to find one explanation why it is not supported or why it is not planned to be supported :-/ It's really shame :/

So count me as another customer "begging" for this feature. I think there is plenty of us. ;)
+1, but normis already said they aren't working on OpenVPN any more. And personally I'd rather see 802.11ac with wireless controller support first, but OpenVPN over UDP would be nice.

naxos
just joined

Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:12 am

+1, but normis already said they aren't working on OpenVPN any more. And personally I'd rather see 802.11ac with wireless controller support first, but OpenVPN over UDP would be nice.
Thanks, I had to miss the thread where was this info (you know, there are many threads about UDP / OVPN :-) ). And personally UDP for OVPN is still my priority :D

Kreacher

Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:32 pm

Is it a joke or what?

I don´t really know why they are not inserting all known variants of the VPN!
VPN is more and more present in all kind of computing, from the lowest bottom (private usage)
to the highest top (enterprise business) and with more then 30.000.000 sold new mobile devices
like smartphones all 2 years one of the biggest criteria to get new customers and clients in my eyes.

What could be wrong to chose a cpu from a vendor that comes with this capabilities to
compress and also made for de- and encryption so heavy tasks can be handled easily?
Exar formerly HiFn has some interesting chips that can nearly or more handling wired
speed encryption for each know VPN method on the market.

For sure inside of Latvia encryption is not permitted to use and also perhaps MikroTik has
some problems to set those things up, like the vendors in the USA are not able to export
their cryptography equipment outside of the USA to another country, but inside routers
this is since long time a very often used and asked function before buying a router.

And with the new Tilera series including the high speed encryption engine called MiCA, MikroTik has
once more the chance to roll out or inserting a ROS version with all kind of VPN methods!
SSL-VPN
SSTP-VPN
PPTP
PPPD
IPSec
L2TP
OpenVPN

I would more think in that direction, that it is better to offer more different VPN variants then my
concurrence on the router market, for sure. Perhaps some of yours want to spend one minute to
vote here for your favourite VPN method you will see inside of RouterOS or not. If not don´t give
the named VPN method not a point but the other, 8 points can given by your the poll is ending
never up, thanks first to spending a minute. RouterOS VPN types support
Kindly regards
Kreacher ♬

--------------------------------------
Karma points must not be paid by you