changeip
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

PDSBM-LN2 SuperMicro works

Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:42 am

Hey all,

http://www.supermicro.com/products/moth ... cfm?typ=C2

The SuperMicro PDSBM-LN2 board is working with both 2.9.51 and 3.16. I have a Core 2 Duo E2220 (2.4ghz 800mhz) in there. I was unsuccessful at using a CF card for some reason (IDE Removable bit?) but an IDE drive works fine. The SanDIsk Extreme III will not work - it just hangs before the kernel even loads. Does anyone have the removable bit flag utility ?

A dual core x64 box for less than the RouterBoard 1000... and not much bigger.

Note: I have not put this to any tests, just loaded and confirmed it starts up and routes a little traffic. 2.9.51 seemed to have lots of unknown devices in PCI resources, but it worked. I would be more comfortable running 3.x on it since it knows the system resources better.

Colo and Wholesale Bandwidth Available! Sales at SanDiegoBroadband dot com

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: PDSBM-LN2 SuperMicro works

Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:24 pm

bord + cpu + memory + case + PSU + 2 port Gige NIC + riser card + level 6 license = ?

things that make you go hmm... :lol:

thadem
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:45 pm

ok, the level6-license makes the difference, but the x64-box has advantages when it comes to flexibility and of course reliability in the field, nothing beats two power supplies :-) you can add fibre-cards if you want and do not need converters and overall it should be fairly faster when it comes to cpu-intensive tasks. or just think of oob-administration with the remote-access-cards made by many manufacturers and server companies. for a rb you need something external like a terminal server.

but both have their duties they are made for, so this is not the start of a flame, you simply cannot compare them.

ginovilla
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:29 am

2 Power Supplies?

changeip
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:06 pm

Just a followup since I posted this thread in the hardware compatibility wiki page...

I have tried everything to get this router to boot from flash or USB. Every kind of CF-IDE, CF-SATA, sandisk, kingston, usb sticks, removable vs fixed disk, etc and nothing works. I don't know if it's the BIOS that doesnt like such a small drive or what, the kernel isn't even beginning to load. A regular IDE or SATA disk work perfectly fine for some reason.

Tried every combination of settings in the BIOS thinking it was that too but nothing seems compatible. I also have a copy of ATCFWCHG if anyone is looking for it : )

Sam

vegard

Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:58 pm

Did you find a solution to this? Struggling with the same on roughly identical hardware.

changeip
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:54 pm

Yes... I emailed details to supermicro tech support and asked why this board could not boot from flash. Within an hour I had a beta bios that fixed the problem : ) If you have the PDSBM series I can get you the bios, or just email their tech support and give details. They should give you a new bios that fixes that issue. Now mine is working perfectly.

NathanA
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:01 am

Thank you for posting this. We JUST bought this exact same board to run RouterOS on, and are having the exact same issues with booting from solid-state USB or CF. I've been beating my head against this problem for almost a week now. I checked for a BIOS update on their web site, but the latest version available for download matches the one that came shipped on the board already (dated December 2007).

I will e-mail SuperMicro support right now and point them at this thread. :)

-- Nathan

changeip
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:04 am

If you cant get it from them let me know and I can post it.

NathanA
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:32 pm

Thanks. I actually have not heard from them at all since I sent the email requesting the BIOS upgrade. I am probably just being impatient. :) And they will probably come through eventually. But I guess that given that you said you got a response from them within an hour, I was hopeful the fix would be forthcoming sooner.

If you happen to have a moment and could get the file to me, I would be very grateful.

Cheers,

-- Nathan

changeip
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:48 pm

NathanA
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran