Community discussions

MikroTik App

Elshar
just joined
Topic Author

OLSR Support?

Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:47 pm

I've got an existing network using OLSR, but I'd like to incorporate some mikrotik devices into the network. Is there any chance of OLSR being supported in future releases?

dughutch
just joined

Re: OLSR Support?

Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:30 pm

Bump.

What is the status of OLSR support, please?

Sorry if this is an ignorant question, but if not OLSR, what other layer 3 protocol that can handle multiple wireless links going up and down, please? (We're in a very bad RF environment and have many redundant links which go up and down).

Thanks!

JorgeAmaral
Trainer
Trainer

Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:00 am

For Layer2 you have HWMP+, and for Layer3 you have MME

From what i now, olsr works with adhoc mode on wifi, but mikrotik does not support adhoc so, i think that it will never support olsr.

There was a good presentation about HWMP+ on the mum in wroclaw, i really suggest you to see that presentation.

Kindly regards,

Jorge

Skaught
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:53 am

OLSR runs on ethernet according to OLSR.

HWMP+ is for bridged networks is it not?

OSPF is failing miserably on our large network. Some issue with Mikrotik and timers apparently. Even with the bugs solved, OSPF is very slow and does not account for link quality.

Elshar
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:53 pm

Yea, one of the reasons I was looking into OLSR on mikrotik is that my network contains many different vendor's products at different points. The only thing they all have in common that I use frequently is OLSR. It's great that there is a custom mesh available with the RouterOS, but that doesn't help me integrate with my existing install base.

And like Skaught mentioned, OSPF (And RIP, BGP, etc) are too 'heavy' and/or can't really cope with the type of situation we have with wireless ethernet links in the same way OLSR can.

I'd pick up a couple RouterOS devices for some spots where it'd fit into our network. Part of that is OLSR support or it's just not happening.

mrz
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:55 am

We have MME, which is based on BATMAN
http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Routing/MME

Elshar
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:30 pm

I'm aware of MME. Unfortunately none of my other devices support it. So to utilize it, I'd have to redistribute through another protocol (If possible), or I'd have to swap everything out to Mikrotik. Which I can't/won't do.

mrz
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:33 am

Then only way you could use OLSR is run openwrt image in metarouter and set up OLSR on openwrt.

valent

Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:47 am

So no OLSR support yet? Then only option is to use Mikrotik hardware and install openwrt on it instead using Mikrotik OS because we have existing OLSR mesh network, so it doesn't matter if Mikrotik makes something better when it is not compatible with existing network...

Please include support for OLSR and BATMAN routing protocols.

ibebrasil
just joined

Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:44 pm

I am having the same problem, i am trying to put a hotspot linked to a lan in a router with libremesh to solve the question that i cant integrate wifi between a mikrotik and a router wthat runs OLSR and batman...

But if someone here has a solution to make this integration even by wired interconnection between a router in a mesh and a rb, thanks a lot... until now i have configured with success a ppoe server in a rb linked by wired a router in a mesh. but hotspot didnt work no time