Community discussions

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support
Topic Author

Feature requests

Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:24 pm

Some features have already been requested before, to better manage this, you can register on the Wiki and cast your vote there:

http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/MikroTik_ ... e_Requests

Of course, in addition, it would be great if you also posted a message here, explaining why you need that particular feature. And as usual - search before you post, maybe a topic exists already.
No answer to your question? How to write posts

adrianatkins
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: Feature requests

Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:54 pm

Features ? ROS got more than enough already for the Class it is in.
Don't forget to give me at least a tenner a month, every month

omidkosari
Trainer
Trainer

Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:39 am

http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=43809 feature request for feature request itself :D

adrianatkins
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:34 pm

A super cool thing would be for the Mikrotik to detect what it's lacking, based on how much fannying around the admin user is doing (and how often) and automatically send that info to MT so they can automatically include a new feature to do whatever the admin was doing all that time.

Auto feature request basically.

Beccara
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:21 pm

so your asking for A.I? Dont you have something better to do than troll a router manufactures forum?

dolphinik1

Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:51 pm

Replace racoon with openswan. With racoon ipsec on mikrotik are poooooooor.

adrianatkins
Long time Member
Long time Member

Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:28 pm

something better to do than troll a router manufactures forum?
Is there anything better ?

Maybe i need to get out more.

fewi
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:37 pm

Replace racoon with openswan. With racoon ipsec on mikrotik are poooooooor.
I'm not sure it's the implementation. Some algorithms seem to perform poorly, though. Look at this: http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php ... 78#p228478

nz_monkey
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:06 am

After DHCPv6 and finishing the other ipv6 features Mikrotik need to give IPSEC on their platform some serious love. Virtual Tunnel Interface PLEASE!!! We need this for meshed IPSEC tunnels with OSPF, it allows a true "shortest path" to the site the traffic is destined for, which is quite important for VoIP.
As an added bonus, it makes IPSEC much simpler as you do not need to have policies to encrypt the traffic, just create a route via the VTI and bingo the policy is automatically created.

This is the 3rd most popular feature request on http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/MikroTik_ ... e_Requests with 12 votes.

Also, as I have suggested before on the forums and via email to support (Ticket#2010072966000194), replacing VRRP with true High Availability (config sync, session failover) would be fantastic.
http://thebrotherswisp.com/ | Mikrotik MTCNA, MTCRE, MTCINE | Fortinet FTCNA, FCNSP, FCT | Extreme Networks ENA

void
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:59 pm

Normis,

Does this mean that Mikrotik will commit to implement the most x requested features or do we just filll in that page for fun ?

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support
Topic Author

Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:00 pm

no, the list does not influence our priorities, just gives us ideas about what people want to see.

Solaris
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:23 pm

Hmm, isn't this method quite hard to read ? what do you think of this : http://feedback.unity3d.com/forums/15792-unity , user can discuss the importance of such request, admin/mod can add status(under review, completed) of the feature, i think it just easy for mikrotik to use this as doesn't need to cross references each discussion into 1 which will be big 1 thread, just quite hard to track imho,
user also locked at 10 points max for each account, and max 3 points vote for each feature request, sure it's easy to create clone account but i think it's possible to prevent this by verified customer before registration with specific mikrotik key or other verification method, just my opinion, regards.

The service provider for this feature is : http://uservoice.com

Beccara
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:29 am

Heh, Next you'll want a bug tracker like almost every other vendor out there has where we can submit bugs and have other users confirm it and have MT update us on it!

Trezona
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:04 pm

Hello,

Would it be possible to reset the counters individually in the Interface list?

The only way i can do this at the moment is to reboot the mikrotik device...

Thanks.

xxiii
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:23 pm

Here is what I just created under existing features:

Add configuration options to ping-watchdog to specify how many pings should be performed and how far apart before triggering a reboot. This can help avoid false positives when another node along the route reboots and doesn't get routing back up in time to satisfy the ping watchdog, and will let people taylor the ping watchdog to their needs (reboot immediately if things look broke, or, wait a little while and see if things work out).
-- xxiii 17:04, 26 October 2010 (UTC)

We have a lot of routers in remote locations, and use the ping watchdog to reboot them as a last resort in case we can't mac-telnet to them from a neighbor or whatever, or a human can't get to them in a reasonable time to figure out whats wrong, but we would prefer to be able to specify that they wait 10 or 15 minutes before rebooting themselves, or at least 4 minutes, so an upstream router can finish rebooting before triggering a cascade of reboots, or a reroute can occur whose detection and implementation didn't quite occur fast enough for the current ping watchdog.

The current settings let you delay when the watchdog starts, but give you no control once its running.

We'd like something like:
wait 5 minutes.
send a burst of 3 pings, 2 seconds apart, if all lost, wait 5 minutes.
send another burst of 3 pings, if all lost, wait 5 minutes,
send another burst of 3 pings, if all lost, reboot.
Any successful ping response restarts from the beginning. (or perhaps if at least 2 of the 3 are successful or something like that).

oeyre
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:12 am

Just added this to the wiki...

I would like to see some more options when dealing with ordered lists. Particularly when new rules pop up at the bottom of a firewall config which is several hundred items, it is extremely time consuming to position them where they need to be.

Would be good if there could be additional options (and hotkeys) for items in ordered lists such as: send to top, send to bottom, up one, down one, up page & down page

oeyre
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:52 am

I have also put in a request to throttle MAC addresses making excessive PPPoE connection attempts to prevent the router or RADIUS server from being overloaded.

omidkosari
Trainer
Trainer

Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:54 am

Just added this to the wiki...

I would like to see some more options when dealing with ordered lists. Particularly when new rules pop up at the bottom of a firewall config which is several hundred items, it is extremely time consuming to position them where they need to be.

Would be good if there could be additional options (and hotkeys) for items in ordered lists such as: send to top, send to bottom, up one, down one, up page & down page
http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=43809
I think it is time to start official mikrotik idea bank like http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/ or http://ideabank.opendns.com/ . most of community driven projects have something to say your idea and vote .
The software is free , opensource , secure and simple to install and use at this address http://www.ideatorrent.org/ which used by Ubuntu.
And the old way to edit the wiki is not good way

Solaris
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:29 pm

Heh, Next you'll want a bug tracker like almost every other vendor out there has where we can submit bugs and have other users confirm it and have MT update us on it!
I am just saying :D , look back at this thread couple months from now on, it will filled with many post from many different kind of feature request, example post 11-20 discussing about feature request A, post 21-35 discussing about Feature request D, in the post 36 a new user starting again discussing about feature request A, won't be a mess? hard to track which user talk which topic, sure won't be problem for 1-5 point of feature request, what if the feature request growing into 30+ :shock: , could be 1 giant huge thread with 1000 post on it, imagine you haven't visit mikrotik forum for couple months and spending time to thread 1000 post :lol: , search would be useful but it's not helpful for non-narrative jumping feature request discussion, imho it just not efficient.

Or another solution would be make a sticky thread in this forum with links into specific feature request dicussion, i mean for each feature request it has it's own thread but the thread will have a special tag like "[Feature-Request]Topic/Thread Name", so in that thread it would have many links to the thread, and in the wiki of course mentioned about this indexing thread. The downside of this solution is atleast mikrotik forum moderator need spend time to edit the indexing thread and manage(merge,move,delete) the new user thread about feature request, while the uservoice or other service alike is all automatic, it's a offshore hosting, separated from forum user database, the downside just user need to re-register on that uservoice.

No i don't want that bugzilla like bug indexing, it just too complicated for me and so far mikrotik just works excellence in my simple setup but i don't know about other expert/senior user who might need this. Easiest solution for tracking bug would like i've said above, special tagging or sub-forum , the downside still the same, need extra work from mod to manage new thread by lazy people who lazy to search.

dssmiktik
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:57 am

I don't think this particular post is meant to be a discussion on feature requests particular, but a notice of where people may find the place to go and submit requests (aka. the Wiki page).
Doug

oeyre
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:08 am

Added another request: logging of interface status changes.

Rough example: 29 Oct 2010 16:02 +10:00 Interface ether1 changed from no link to connected 100/full (auto)

This is extremely useful in other managed switches so that you can see if a particular device is losing physical connection or changing speed/duplex for no good reason.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support
Topic Author

Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:11 am

Rough example: 29 Oct 2010 16:02 +10:00 Interface ether1 changed from no link to connected 100/full (auto)

This is extremely useful in other managed switches so that you can see if a particular device is losing physical connection or changing speed/duplex for no good reason.
We already have that in RC2

oeyre
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:13 am

We already have that in RC2
Good stuff!

Apologies for the duplicate, but did not see this anywhere in the changelog.

mattx86
just joined

Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:10 pm

I posted about it in the 5.0rc2 thread, but, it seems its simple in what it logs (up/down status without speed and duplex).

Edit: Actually, would I have to make logging more verbose, perhaps, in order to get speed/duplex logged?

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support
Topic Author

Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:17 pm

in what cases does your link speed change without unplugging the cable? is it really so often that you need special log entry?

mattx86
just joined

Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:28 pm

Er, not without unplugging. I mean when I unplug the cable and plug it back in.

On 5.0rc2 on RB532 (mipsle), this is all I get by default (no speed+duplex info logged; only down/up status):
/log print
10:12:18 interface,info ether3 link down
10:12:22 interface,info ether3 link up
If there is a way to get it to show the speed and duplex, I'm not sure how to do it at the moment.

Chupaka
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:19 pm

yep, it would be nice... like on managed switches:
2010-10-27 22:25:28 INFO(6) Port 3 link up, 1000Mbps FULL duplex
2010-10-27 22:25:01 INFO(6) Port 3 link down
Russian-speaking forum: https://forum.mikrotik.by/. Welcome!

For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.

MikroTik. Your life. Your routing.

oeyre
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:39 pm

in what cases does your link speed change without unplugging the cable? is it really so often that you need special log entry?
Not often, but handy to know when customer is calling you asking about bad link performance :)

If you've already gone to the trouble of putting in logging of up/down status: whats the harm in also putting in speed, duplex and auto/manual negotiation also?

n21roadie
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:34 pm

My request is for a "Auto Roll back" option for upgrades?

(1) full backup is stored on the router,
(2) after uploading upgrade you reboot but...
(3) if for whatever reason the new upgrade caused loss of connectivity or you may have forgotten to change a setting before you clicked reboot ...
(4) having a default 5min countdown to restore on reboot,the router will automatically restore the original configuration back,
(5) if no loss of connectivity you can stop the countdown to restore original OS,
(6) the roll back file remains stored on the router, this for fast restore if say after a few days the upgrade has created new issues?

What i am suggesting is similiar to video adapters when you change display setting it automatically restores back after 15seconds if "use" new setting are not clicked,
If you cannot access the router to stop the countdown then wait 5mins and your router will auto roll back to the original OS before upgrade and connectivity should be restored?
N21roadie,
Network 100% MT for Now?

gustkiller

Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:28 am

mpls ecmp support ( forward using two or more destinations even using mpls)
bgp support ldp
Mikrotik Certified Consultant

ejansson

Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:12 am

Win box

Drop down box for last 10 (or more) IP addresses visited

dubak
just joined

Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:31 pm

Ability to use more options of the VPN server (like those normally speficied in the .conf file of the OpenVPN server when running on Linux)
For me presonally the following option would be really nice:

push "redirect-gateway"

It has been discussed here:
http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=46110

CommanddeR
just joined

Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:48 pm

I would like to set the timeout for pppoe-client connection, which sometimes takes longer to connect. If it is possible to set a time delay that is used to connect each time after a disconnect.

http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=46312

pppoe client connection by winxp

pppoe-client can not connect by RouterOS.

pppoe-client disconnect modem before RouterOS will receive packet
Last edited by CommanddeR on Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xxiii
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:08 pm

Not often, but handy to know when customer is calling you asking about bad link performance :)
We have some sites that are very noisy RF environments, and they occasionally screw up ethernet links. We've tried various remedies, which I won't go into here, as this isn't the appropriate thread for it, but it would be handy to have logging of the speed/duplex for us as well.

EMOziko
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:31 am

It will be good if RouterOS will have integrated brute force protection and filter.
We want new versions of The Dude!!!!!!!

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support
Topic Author

Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:32 am

It will be good if RouterOS will have integrated brute force protection and filter.
It does

http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Bruteforc ... prevention

kozmai
just joined

Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:09 pm

I would be nice that in /ip service I could set more ip address or one addres-list

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support
Topic Author

Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:16 pm

I would be nice that in /ip service I could set more ip address or one addres-list
use firewall in that case

mattx86
just joined

Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:06 am

I sorted the feature requests by number of votes: http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/MikroTik_ ... e_Requests

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support
Topic Author

Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:20 am

I sorted the feature requests by number of votes: http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/MikroTik_ ... e_Requests
thanks, much clearer now.

mattx86
just joined

Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:16 pm

thanks, much clearer now.
No problem. I should mention that some new ideas and votes came in since I posted, and that I've re-sorted the list based on number of votes.

So if you're wondering where your idea or vote went, you can search the page with your browser's find function, or check the page history when logged into the wiki: near the top, you'll see four tabs: Page, Edit, History, and Watch; click on "History." (Of course, you can always get notified of changes by checking out the "Watch" tab.)

mihaimikrotik
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:28 am

Finally a feature request, something I need and RouterOS is lacking: rate limit by destination (without any connection being involved in this) so that I can do a clean pipe in case of ddos.

Thank you for taking it into consideration!
I haven't lost my mind, I have a tape back-up somewhere.
MTCNA, MTCRE, MTCTCE, MTCWE, MTCUME, MTCINE, MikroTik Trainer

markit
just joined

Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:58 am

hmm it`s a small feature

it would be very nice to be a able to rename a file, on the cli (and in scripts)

eg.:
/file set [/file find name="xyz.txt"] name="sata1/xyz.txt"
currently this is only possible remotely via ftp,.
and even winbox (drag & drop) can move between folders,..
and imho a cli should have more features than a gui 8)

but to make a small feature-request biger,..
imho the whole /file section could need some improvments

e.g. its not possible to use the add command for anything useful
/file add contents="test"
error - contact MikroTik support and send a supout file (3)
same happens with copy-from,.. (in "all" RouterOS versions)

i know i can create files with e.g. print file="newfile" but why have an add command, if it can not create anything?

Markus

p.s. it`s not the first time someone wants this:

http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php ... le#p117320

Copper

Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:30 am

Add coretemp kernel module for x86 ROS.

adrianatkins
Long time Member
Long time Member

Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:23 pm

Temperature sensing depends on there being a temperature sensor on the Board.

If the board has not got one, you can't magically make one in software.

Copper

Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:00 am

Temperature sensing depends on there being a temperature sensor on the Board.

If the board has not got one, you can't magically make one in software.
Linux kernel driver coretemp permits reading temperature sensor embedded inside Intel CPU
without sensors on a motherboard.

adrianatkins
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:09 am

If the sensor exists, and it is an Intel chip, then it should be available as data.

I have a pile of about 70 AMD Geode based ALIX boards here in a box (Intel Compatible).

Is there a temperature sensor in those as well ?

Copper

Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:35 am

adrianatkins, i want to control the temperature of processors Intel Quad/i5/i7, but not on AMD Geode.

adrianatkins
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:13 pm

Both CPUs would use the same MikroTik x86 firmware - as would some others, as they are x86 architecture.

The problem would be more than just making a driver work on your specific CPU chip.
They would have to make/get a driver that would work on all x86 CPUs.

Copper

Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:14 pm

They would have to make/get a driver that would work on all x86 CPUs.
:)
It does not happen. Other equipment requires different drivers.
Hundreds of drivers are part of the system, but when you start the system only those loading that match your hardware.