Community discussions

lavv17
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Feature requests

Fri May 11, 2012 11:48 am

well, now (v6, AFAIR) ROS can send mutlicast paskets as unicast frames, so udpxy is not actual just for wifi
If I understand correctly, multicast-helper works only for point-to-point radio links. Udpxy can help if there is a standard home WiFi network with multiple client devices.

mcrose
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sat May 12, 2012 12:54 am

Granular control over OSPF metrics of redistributed routes. c/f http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=57641

neko
just joined

Sun May 13, 2012 3:26 am

Registering for the wiki and voting seems like something disabled right now (there's only Log In, no create account, or signup link at the login page) so I'm just going to post the features I would really really like here;

[*] Automatic mapping of DHCP client hostnames into the DNS server, such that if my system jumps in and says it's "dave", I can resolve "dave" and "dave.mydomain.com" immediately saving having to create static entries for every box on the network. In a hardware/software development environment where we do a lot of system testing and integration (usually remote console over SSH or file transfers) it's a pain to look for IP addresses when we know the hostname the system will give out, and a royal pain to add a static entry to every system we want to run and test, both in DNS and DHCP to lock it down for testing. Removal of the entry on DHCP release also means we would immediately know (no resolution) if the system got turned off (actually very useful for VMs, too, since we do a lot of development inside VMWare on our desktop systems, to produce software for the target hardware). This actually happens automatically on much crappier "router" software such as present on most home modems, or DD-WRT or Tomato, which makes it all the more painful not to have (since nearly everyone in the office gets the feature at home for free)

[*] Wizards for setting up various VPN types, especially things like servers for IPSec "Road Warrior" configurations which are nefarious and difficult to get right when the settings are spread across many, many sections of the configuration tree (/ip ipsec, /interface *-server, /ppp)

[*] Already in the Wiki but I'll vote for it here; certificate generation on the router :)

[*] Web Proxy: ability to rewrite web addresses to match other web addresses (therefore, for instance, if I go to ftp.*.debian.org over HTTP, it rewrites it to use our proxy or points it at some fast local mirror, or even redirects the ftp.uk.debian.org mirror to the ftp.us.debian.org mirror, without playing with DNS (essentially because if we all end up going to a different mirrored site, we get the same files cached multiple times)

[*] Web Proxy: pass through caching to some other system for certain domains, or paths, such that the router will use the "parent proxy" for that task and just act as a gobetween. You might have guessed we fetch a lot of Linux distribution packages in the office, but we can't set every client to use a local mirror (since they're shipped to customers and need the public repo addresses.. no preset proxies or "office internal" data can be applied to these systems)

[*] Web Proxy: don't commit to SD card so much! On our RB1100AH we can see the effects of the Linux caches being flushed to SD card doing transfers which should be at ~gigabit speeds from memory to the client, basically run up to a few megabytes and then the speed drops to SD card speed (and then goes up and then goes down again). This is especially evident on sites like SpeedTest.net which transfer files over HTTP via Flash to do bandwidth testing - 400mbit/s to 3mbit/s to 40mbit/s to 1gbit/s to 10mbit/s and then a steady rate which is far, far below the actual connection speed for the final stretch. Our connection is much faster than our SD card which we would have hoped would just be used for backing store of files fetched every couple days and therefore not soaking up RAM, but it seems to pull from it rather a large amount. It also, weirdly, alters the ping values (I guess Flash can't send an ICMP packet so it's guessing over an HTTP connection) from ~10ms to 200ms and also SEEMS to do the same for a real ICMP ping via PingTest.net (which is Java and are real ICMP..) when enabled as a transparent proxy via srcnat. Since we can't know the server SpeedTest.net will use at any one time, we can't override it (nor can we "bypass" the proxy in any way anyway, only "accept" or "deny" proxying)

[*] Probably my favorite: DHCP option support that doesn't get set in EVERY DHCP packet going out. We should be able to add options for every static lease entry that do not affect others, for example if I am provisioning many types of IP Phones or other similar systems, some support option 66 and require a full firmware path, others just the location of the directory and will seek their correct firmware path. The only alternative right now is to create a special new DHCP server and lease pool for each set, right? This annoys me because I'm looking at 30 pools to configure, 27 of them containing only a single lease. Every other DHCP server I've used lets me customize options per lease or per MAC address and not per-pool.

[*] Ability to backup and restore config to/from a TFTP server as many IP phones (and Cisco routers..) do.

docmarius
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun May 13, 2012 1:46 pm

I would really love to have a AYIYA tunnel client in RouterOS (something like AICCU).

Jeroen Massar from SixXS, the maintainer of AICCU, is really a nice person and would probably be willing to provide full support for implementing such thing.
Torturing CCR1009-7G-1C-1S+, RB450G, RB750GL, RB951G-2HnD, RB960PGS, RB260GSP, OmniTIK 5HnD and NetMetal 922UAGS-5HPacD + R11e-5HnD in my home network.

MimiFleX

Tue May 15, 2012 1:13 pm

Enable the TEE iptable target to allow ROS to become a network probe, and to mirror any kind of IP traffic to an analyser.

From iptables man page :
   TEE
       The  TEE  target  will  clone  a packet and redirect this clone to another machine on the local network segment. In
       other words, the nexthop must be the target, or you will have to configure the nexthop to forward it further if  so
       desired.

--gateway ipaddr
              Send  the cloned packet to the host reachable at the given IP address.  Use of 0.0.0.0 (for IPv4 packets) or
              :: (IPv6) is invalid.

To forward all incoming traffic on eth0 to an Network Layer logging box:

-t mangle -A PREROUTING -i eth0 -j TEE --gateway 2001:db8::1
Edit: and please don't reply me (as the support did) this feature is already implemented using switch mirror feature. Tee let one to use very complex filters as for every mangle rule based on conntrack, address lists, and so on... And moreover switch mirror is only available on few hardware.

JanezFord
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed May 23, 2012 12:05 pm

feature request: implement certificate revocation lists (CRL) in OpenVPN server.

explanation: when client certificate used for OVPN connection is compromised/revoked by CA, mikrotik OVPN server has no option to block it (except to change username/password in /ppp secrets).
+1 :)
+1

+ UDP, LZO, push route, optional (not mandatory) user/pass

docmarius
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:15 pm

Playing around with some scripts for dyndns i have an idea...

Since all tool fetches create temporary files which are used once, wouldn't it make sense to have a temp folder or something in files which links to a RAM file system, so the flash memory doesn't get tortured with multiple writes?

Something like a temp or tmp folder in the file structure (which looses its content on restart but this is no issue with temporary files).
AFAIK the Linux kernel has all provisions for that.
Torturing CCR1009-7G-1C-1S+, RB450G, RB750GL, RB951G-2HnD, RB960PGS, RB260GSP, OmniTIK 5HnD and NetMetal 922UAGS-5HPacD + R11e-5HnD in my home network.

mahnet
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:20 pm

think many would have thought of a CMOS battery in routerboards.

tamilmaran
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:33 pm

provide sms gateway support for send sms ,in sms tool option
If u like my post , then Hit the Karma! Thanks.
-
Thamizh Maran
RF Engineer
ZERONE Tech
India

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:11 pm

SXT with two or three Ethernet ports.
If possible PoE input delivered by two (or the 3) ports.

With present high wireless connection rates one antenna could easily serve two or three families/houses with internet.
One (or two) extra Eth. ports would keep the unit cheap while serving two (or three) neighbors. This would make MT a preferred solution for duo or triple house connection.

If than all ports can be PoE input where one is master and the others are slave this would give redundant system where it is not depending on power of one house only....

Such unit would finally give some advance on competition... something we need desperately.
Show your appreciation of this post by giving me Karma! Thanks.

Rudy R. Puister

WISP operator based on MT routerboard & ROS.

rodolfo
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:26 pm

in winbox show inline comments by default
and in interfaces>eoip show tunnel-id by default
rodolfo
IZ0UQV

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:14 pm

In winbox; add a notepad for general notiticions related to that routerboard. The usual "comment" fields are for specific use, general comment (like "This rb is housed in staircase") would be very handy.

Rudy R. Puister

honzam
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:57 pm

+1 and show CPU usage and Uptime by default
LAN, FTTx, Wireless. ISP operator

taduikis

Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:56 pm

Having a per device notepad would be awesome. I have alot of devices configured in a manner that would be difficult to understand without separate explanation. The general device notebook would help alot. It would also be helpful to write down initial signal strenghts to cpe's, etc..

BTW, I've heard new winbox is under developement. I really hope they listen to all our suggestions while developing it.

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:57 am

Having a per device notepad would be awesome. I have alot of devices configured in a manner that would be difficult to understand without separate explanation. The general device notebook would help alot. It would also be helpful to write down initial signal strenghts to cpe's, etc..

BTW, I've heard new winbox is under developement. I really hope they listen to all our suggestions while developing it.
This option is mentioned in the past before. I am afraid it got snowed under a bit since the development of the web based UI.
But I, and with me lots of others, still prefer winbox but I got the feeling the developments in winbox were a bit on a side track.

So you say they are working on a new winbox? That would be nice if they than also will read all the old gestures made by many on the improvements winbox could use to make it a very handy, yet simple, tool to use.

The 'device general notepad' would be a great pre since like you said a lot of device depending notes could be made which helps a lot if a unit after months of seamless undisturbed working suddenly give problems and you completely forgot that this special unit had some specialties in its install or config. Would not be the first time I erased a strange looking setting only to find out later this specific unit had a means for it!!

Rudy R. Puister

taduikis

Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:42 am

Well, normis recently gave out that they are working on a new winbox, so I assume they are making non-plugin based program which I hope will have quite alot of improvements and it's a perfect opportunity to listen to community suggestions and feature requests, me think.

And honestly, I have used webfig less times that I have fingers on single hand. It's a good thing, no doubt, but I don't imagine RouterOS without winbox control. The Dude integration, mac level comm, simple and easy to use..winbox is a vital part of ROS.

nz_monkey
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:01 am

What's new in 6.0beta5
*) ipsec - add support for Virtual Tunnel Interfaces;
It's a wish, and has been for many, many years. Maybe if I keep suggesting it, Mikrotik might eventually add it !

It's one of the most wanted features on the Wiki feature requests page.
http://thebrotherswisp.com/ | Mikrotik MTCNA, MTCRE, MTCINE | Fortinet FTCNA, FCNSP, FCT | Extreme Networks ENA

erebusodora
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:00 am

If possible, include the option to LAN or LAN chat server for better communication with customers. Or it can be circulated notes of the type IM. To add the ability to upload files on a MAC-TELNET

ttaiw
just joined

Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:35 pm

if possible, I need feature Cisco ezvpn client support.

honzam
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:04 pm

It would be good see in log Radio Name and last signal strenght
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LAN, FTTx, Wireless. ISP operator

CyberT
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:03 pm

Hi Guys

I would like to suggest an "notes" menu item in router os that displays when u log into winbox/telnet reason would be very close to "comments" on links and so forth, we have a multitude of admins in our network, and it would be nice to have an function like

1) "last 5 changes to device/setting"
2) Notes, aka "link x disabled, link is dropping, needs to be checked, or contact numbers for High Site under notes or whatever really, you can do all this in comments, but its hard.

I know there is "welcome message" but its hard to edit and so forth.

like a place to store "facts" like "$date - Link x tx/rx strength at ccq on freq.

will give anyone the ability to quickly and easily say that an link has deteriorated without even knowing anything about the HS/link
If this helped you then please slam that Karma button :-)

zloty
just joined

Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:19 pm

notes a brilliant idea
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

linek1980

Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:50 pm

great idea. In conjunction with webfig have great potential

proggams2
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:15 pm

a good feature is the ability to scan by a remote site cpe
(for example we can set scan into this channel or this range and when the scan is done, it should save the list of scanned ap's)
because if we click on scan on any station it will drop the link.

taduikis

Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:09 am

You can scan for about 5-6seconds via terminal. Or you can use a script to scan for as long as you want and put the results into a text file.

As for notepad, count me in too.

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:39 am

You can scan for about 5-6seconds via terminal. Or you can use a script to scan for as long as you want and put the results into a text file.

As for notepad, count me in too.
We don't want to write scripts. We want usability without the need to write scripts in an ever changing script language. Everytime when I upgrade my ROS I am worried the few scripts I made did survive...

The Scan option with output is been asked for many times and promised some times, but still not there. Many other vendor devices have this just as an available tool that even works remotely over the wireless link. Just click on 'scan' or similar and after 20 secs or so the output is printed in a window.
I understand that this might break a winbox session but let the boys of MT than make an underlying script that in case of a scan command the disconnect timer is set to 25 secs... so the winbox session just stays alive.

I hate it when the user has to develop scripts to make something to work. That should come from the manufacturer. We are not all script kiddies, probably most of us are not. Most of us just want a good product that can stand the comparison or do better than the competition....

Rudy R. Puister

taduikis

Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:28 am

This reminded me of yet another feature worth mentioning. I'd like to have an ability to export scan results to a file (from winbox mostly). I'm collecting site surveys during client installs recently. This sometimes gives useful information about channel usage in that area. Screenshooting is very inconvenient.
Mikrotik, please go and write 'export wireless scan results to a file' on your added feature list for next release.. It's a must have and I'm sure very easy to implement.

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:27 am

This reminded me of yet another feature worth mentioning. I'd like to have an ability to export scan results to a file (from winbox mostly). I'm collecting site surveys during client installs recently. This sometimes gives useful information about channel usage in that area. Screenshooting is very inconvenient.
Mikrotik, please go and write 'export wireless scan results to a file' on your added feature list for next release.. It's a must have and I'm sure very easy to implement.
I think this remote 'scan' and print to screen/file function is one of the highest valued reature requests. I know MT said once they are working on it but probably that is going to be ROSv.6.
What means yet again to get something like that you have to upgrade which than gives new. other problems again.....

Rudy R. Puister

Ivoshiee

Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:27 am

As much I've seen the ROS documentation the scripting is static by nature. That will make it relatively easy to implement (run time) script compiling. That way scripts will run more like native applications and will not consume insane amount of CPU time for doing almost nothing. Also, those compiled scripts can be cached (in memory) for even greater system speed.

dada
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:11 pm

1) allow changes of WIFI settings without restarting the card - i.e. without losing the connection whenever possible (changing max TX power level, etc). Maybe even detect that the new settings) of ssid, channel etc) is the same as old one so the connection restart is not needed too.
2) ATPC - i.e. automatic TX signal power adjusting for AP and client stations.

viperbmw69
just joined

Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:34 am

Please add the ability to peer with bgp neighbors within a VRF (Not MPBGP) basically in the ipv4 address-family vrf XXX.

nz_monkey
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:59 pm

Please add the ability to peer with bgp neighbors within a VRF (Not MPBGP) basically in the ipv4 address-family vrf XXX.
This functionality already exists, it is CLI only though. You need to configure the "Routing Instance" against a "routing table", which is Mikrotik's pseudo-VRF system. Any peering sessions associated with this BGP instance will now occur within the "vrf"
http://thebrotherswisp.com/ | Mikrotik MTCNA, MTCRE, MTCINE | Fortinet FTCNA, FCNSP, FCT | Extreme Networks ENA

hassibi
Trainer
Trainer

Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:43 pm

Hi
Please add fault tolerance feature with keeping connections.
and a solution for aggregate internet links from different ISPs.

bawolek
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:33 am

It will be usefull if in Web Proxy access can I use parameter
"src-address list" and "dst-address list" to new rules :)

NoXy
just joined

Feature requests

Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:15 pm

My suggestions for ROS6:
- dhcp options per lease (also by radius)

RB wishes:
- 751UPG-2HnD - with POE output
- hardware button to trigger audible antenna align mode (speaker) - It would be nice to have a user button on every RB product, which role could be set in ROS
- 2011LS-INP - with POE output
- Metal for 2.4Ghz (HP)

ohara

Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:30 pm

- Metal for 2.4Ghz (HP)
It is on it's way, please see: http://www.mikrotik.com/download/share/du12.pdf

+1 for power output!

Chupaka
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:23 am

- dhcp options per lease
just create a dedicated entry under Networks for the address of your lease
(also by radius)
huh... "[Ticket#2008092966000257] Receive Options for DHCP Server from RADIUS" - the last answer was almost three years ago:
Currently we are very busy in other projects, but this feature is on our todo list.
Russian-speaking forum: https://forum.mikrotik.by/. Welcome!

For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.

MikroTik. Your life. Your routing.

unrandomsam
just joined

Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:34 pm

Proper udev or hotplug support (So you can create things to happen on certain events - e.g a link going down or coming up etc).
(Running scripts every x mins is an awful idea.)
udp support for openvpn.
proper ipsec support. (Terribly out of date compared to *BSD or Openswan / Strongswan).
WINS support for the smb server. (Don't get why it wouldn't be done when the smb support was added). Even just a simple enable / disable would be fine.
Openvswitch support. (Xen and the combination of mikrotik bridging or trying to use the hardware switch is disaster - Xen itself has poor support for routed vm's).
Support for mobile ipv6.
Enable a tunnel broker or 6to4 when the wan ip is dynamic.

Rockyboa
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:22 pm

+1 for better IPSec support.

Would like to get mode-config push pull for road warrior

http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=45516

zalexp
just joined

Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:49 am

It would be handy to set pcc values in percent (or probability) too. something like per-connection-classifier=both-address:30%.
The same for child queues in tree: limit-at=30% max-limit=100%

otgooneo
Trainer
Trainer

Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:29 am

and in interfaces>eoip show tunnel-id by default
+1 like. Also /interface vlan show vlan-id by default at winbox.
----------------------------
Want to learn more and more...

Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:27 pm

Request:

implement tar in order to e.g. copy a archive (via ssh) to a client connected to an ovpn server untar it on the client. Needed in case of full portalpage overhaul.

The implemente fetch function is just not flexible enough for tasks like the above mentioned.
Imagine a portal pages consisting of html pages and subfolders with html pages, no way anybody would want to replace every file in that structure one by one.

Chupaka
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:07 pm

Request:

implement tar in order to e.g. copy a archive (via ssh) to a client connected to an ovpn server untar it on the client. Needed in case of full portalpage overhaul.

The implemente fetch function is just not flexible enough for tasks like the above mentioned.
Imagine a portal pages consisting of html pages and subfolders with html pages, no way anybody would want to replace every file in that structure one by one.
you'd better use scp, I think - it's more secure than fetching

Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:13 pm

Request:

you'd better use scp, I think - it's more secure than fetching
Thats a problem when dealing with MT devices connected to a vpn server. Anyways fetch is fine as long as the is a way to uncompress e.g. tar files.

mahnet
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:01 am

RB 750UP good enough for the SOHO but something similar for the enterprise also. Like say RB2000 series or atleast 4 POE enabled ports on the RB1100AH or CCR. We need to remotely cut power supply at times. Disabling the said POE ports should do the job.

saaremaa
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:06 pm

I propose to discuss the possibility of implementing user authorization in Winbox, using SSL-certificate. Our company uses a lot of RouterBoard and we need a more flexible management of passwords on all RouterBoard.
CMDR Saaremaa (Gutamaya Sierra Alpha Alpha)

dada
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:36 am

I propose to discuss the possibility of implementing user authorization in Winbox, using SSL-certificate. Our company uses a lot of RouterBoard and we need a more flexible management of passwords on all RouterBoard.
Note: maybe you can use this - you can run a winbox with a command line parameter (IP, name, password) so it is very easy to run winbox from browser (for example) and then it connect without asking for user credentials etc.
The SSL certificate based login could be a dangerous thing IMHO. it could be a problem to secure the certificate. In the case the certificate is stollen you have to change it on all boxes...

Chupaka
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:17 pm

Our company uses a lot of RouterBoard and we need a more flexible management of passwords on all RouterBoard.
use RADIUS?..

saaremaa
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:13 pm

Our company uses a lot of RouterBoard and we need a more flexible management of passwords on all RouterBoard.
use RADIUS?..
Yes, we use Radius, but only for PPP authentication. You talk about this point → Radius Server settings: Service = Login?
CMDR Saaremaa (Gutamaya Sierra Alpha Alpha)

ropeba
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:02 pm

I think that mikrotik should base their attention on the correction of current bugs instead of adding new options. It's a waste of time that you develop a product that is semi useful.. First fix the bugs and then continue with the development, only then you will have the opportunity to stay in the market. Way you are doing it now is taking you down slowly.