Community discussions

TomjNorthIdaho
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Feature requests

Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:37 pm

And now, for something completely different: (no, not the larch)
With all those YouTube videos from MUM taken from all over the world, it would be nice when the language of the video is always visible in the title.
Some of them are in English or another language I could understand, but more often they are completely incomprehensible to me and it would be useful to make that selection already in the title listing.
Yup - it can be a little frustrating when a video about Mikrotik is not in English (the only language I know).
But - I am also very aware that English is not the only language used in the world. - However , with todays technology , I suspect that somewhere there just might be a really smart computer than in real-time can verbally translate the spoken language in a video to English and optionally print the translated language on the bottom of the video at the same time.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:04 pm

But - I am also very aware that English is not the only language used in the world.
Very true! Note that in no way I would suggest not to put videos in other languages on the channel.
It is very good that they are there, it only would be much more convenient when you can look in the listing and play only videos in languages you understand.
Which of course is different for everyone.
- However , with todays technology , I suspect that somewhere there just might be a really smart computer than in real-time can verbally translate the spoken language in a video to English and optionally print the translated language on the bottom of the video at the same time.
Youtube has that, but it is not really usable right now except when you want to have fun.

NEOhidra
just joined

Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:56 am

Indeed - it would be nice to separate the non-English videos.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:46 am

I don't want to advocate separating English from non-English videos. We should not consider one language "better" than another.
I just would like to see the language of the video in the listing.

schadom
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:09 pm

RPKI/ROV guys, please. No need to re-invent the wheel.
See RTRlib for a lightweight, open-source C library: http://rpki.realmv6.org/

PS: Perfect for a weekend hackathon @ Mikrotik HQ while the weather outside is bad ;-)

chubbs596

Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:18 am

RPKI/ROV guys, please. No need to re-invent the wheel.
See RTRlib for a lightweight, open-source C library: http://rpki.realmv6.org/

PS: Perfect for a weekend hackathon @ Mikrotik HQ while the weather outside is bad ;-)
RPKI is really needed

pants6000
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:43 pm

Actual tcpdump.

I know and use the existing local and remote sniffing tools, but they are not a satisfying replacement for a quick and simple "tcpdump -X" from the CLI.

bkusic
just joined

Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:58 pm

Hi,
it would be great to develop a new product - an edge next-generation firewall (NGFW)...

My whole network is Mikrotik based - its GREAT. The only thing I would see is a real and fancy Mikrotik firewall.

Bruno Kusic

Chupaka
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:06 pm

What's not real in current firewall? :)
Russian-speaking forum: https://forum.mikrotik.by/. Welcome!

For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.

MikroTik. Your life. Your routing.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:34 pm

I am an english speaker and quite enjoy foreign language MUM and mikrotik youtube videos. One can sense the passion for the products in the voices.
Of course it helps when some languages revert to use english for the numbers LOL. All to say, the only comment I have is the lack of PDFs and/or videos for some of the presentations can be frustrating. At least a PDF I can translate very easily. I am with pelchi in that diversity is grand and an indication of which language would be helpful.
I was looking at DHCP leases (static) on youtube just last night and went through a number of non-english ones. Some were rather long, but in the end it was
either choose the dhcp lease menu selection of (make static) or right click on the mouse for that lease and at the popup windows type menu, select at the bottom (make static) and in both cases the mysterious D (dynamic) disappears on the far left of the lease line. There, Video of about 20 seconds. :-)

StreamlinkUK
just joined

Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:50 pm

Would be great to get support for either dnsmasq, or some other feature to enable forwarding of mac-address to remote DNS server, (i,e for parental controls and other applications)
http://www.thekelleys.org.uk/dnsmasq/do ... q-man.html

specifically these options :

--add-mac[=base64|text]
Add the MAC address of the requestor to DNS queries which are forwarded upstream. This may be used to DNS filtering by the upstream server. The MAC address can only be added if the requestor is on the same subnet as the dnsmasq server. Note that the mechanism used to achieve this (an EDNS0 option) is not yet standardised, so this should be considered experimental. Also note that exposing MAC addresses in this way may have security and privacy implications. The warning about caching given for --add-subnet applies to --add-mac too. An alternative encoding of the MAC, as base64, is enabled by adding the "base64" parameter and a human-readable encoding of hex-and-colons is enabled by added the "text" parameter.
--add-cpe-id=<string>
Add an arbitrary identifying string to o DNS queries which are forwarded upstream.

OnixJonix
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:01 pm

Something like TORCH on firewall rule!
It would be great if i can select firewall rule and click on torch - and see what traffic is triggering on that rule!

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:29 pm

Something like TORCH on firewall rule!
It would be great if i can select firewall rule and click on torch - and see what traffic is triggering on that rule!
It is sort of possible to do that, by clicking the "log" checkmark on the last page (the matched traffic will appear in the log).
Of course you must be careful when doing this on large amounts of traffic. But I have often used it for traffic that has only
a few pkts/second and it works fine.

msatter
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:06 pm

On that being logged many many times the same loglines it would be nice if that could be avoided by buffering the new and same loglines till an other different logline is going to be written to the log. The first two and last one/two lines are writen so the time between lines can by seen.

First the two logline written. When it is repeated then the shown counter is increased:
time - same logline
time - same logline
the line above are repteated X times.
time - end of repeated lines
|
time - new logline
RB760iGS (hEX S) with the SFP being cooled.
Running:
RouterOS 6.44Beta40 / Winbox 3.18 / MikroTik APP 1.0.13
Cooling a SFP module: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=132258&p=671105#p671105

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:11 pm

On that being logged many many times the same loglines it would be nice if that could be avoided by buffering the new and same loglines till an other different logline is going to be written to the log.
As long as you have connection tracking, and do not use the log on the "established/related" rule (which should be at or near the top of the list), logging on rules further down the list will usually have less volume and certainly not a duplication of the same info.
Of course there can still be a lot of new connections logged this way.

Jotne
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:36 pm

the line above are repeated X times.
When you dealing with external logs, this is something you like to avoid at all cost like here in my Splunk - Mikrotik project:
viewtopic.php?t=137338

When you read logs external programs its hard to understand what is repeated and get the message back together.
And do you have many boxes that sends syslog to same server, it makes it even worse.
So if implemented, this need to be an option.
Use Splunk to monitor your MikroTik Router

MikroTik->Splunk

msatter
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:44 pm

On that being logged many many times the same loglines it would be nice if that could be avoided by buffering the new and same loglines till an other different logline is going to be written to the log.
As long as you have connection tracking, and do not use the log on the "established/related" rule (which should be at or near the top of the list), logging on rules further down the list will usually have less volume and certainly not a duplication of the same info.
Of course there can still be a lot of new connections logged this way.
In RAW I don't have those control options and thinking further about it.

On enabling logging the option to group logline for that specific rule. Control is so still with the user.
Running:

msatter
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:49 pm

the line above are repeated X times.
When you dealing with external logs, this is something you like to avoid at all cost like here in my Splunk - Mikrotik project:
viewtopic.php?t=137338

When you read logs external programs its hard to understand what is repeated and get the message back together.
And do you have many boxes that sends syslog to same server, it makes it even worse.
So if implemented, this need to be an option.
Making it optional on rule level is the way to go. The user have to decide, if it is going to be used or not.
Running:

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:18 pm

Please consider implementing a way to run a user program in an environment as far protected as possible, but lighter than MetaROUTER which requires a full OS and hardware virtualization.
Some discussion is on page 4 of the Feature Request: OpenVPN [ovpn] udp tunnels topic.

E.g. make a folder on the flash device or external storage, the user puts the executable binary there and possible configuration data, RouterOS runs the executable
in a chroot to that folder, normal networking is possible but possibly also a tun/tap device that is configured just like for the MetaROUTER.
User code is run as a nonprivileged user and without any access to RouterOS configuration or environment.

This would allow users to run their own OpenVPN server, Wireguard server, advanced DNS server, DNS to HTTPS relay and more, without
having to wait for MikroTik implementing those services.
Only support required would be some common shared library files to link to (others could be statically linked).
Users can use the usual gcc cross-compilation facilities to generate their binaries.
Advanced tricks like virtual machines with their associated stability issues and unavailability on certain processors would be unnecessary for this feature.

Wyz4k
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:11 am

RFC 5424 compliant syslog client so that I can use a cloud syslog server. https://help.sumologic.com/03Send-Data/ ... log-Source

eduplant
just joined

Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:38 am

Hello, I just posted a feature request in a separate thread but wanted to at least link it here for possible visibility:

[Feature Request] :resolve DNS Client Improvements

One of the advantages of RouterOS is its scriptability and the strength of its shell syntax for getting things done. New improvements in the :system and :tool areas have given us more tools than ever, and augmenting existing features with script="" hooks have given us even more places to use those tools. However, it seems like an important scripting primitive (for a network device, at least) has been neglected for some time: :resolve.

The rest can be found in the thread here.

Thanks!

mada3k

Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:25 pm

• Netinstall for Linux/BSD
  • DMVPN or something smilar would be great
  • SNMP monitoring of OSPF-neighbour and BGP peer-status
  • Sectioned view in Firewall/Filter.
  • TACACS
  • 802.1x
Last edited by mada3k on Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:56 am, edited 5 times in total.

GuJack20
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:25 pm

I don't want to advocate separating English from non-English videos. We should not consider one language "better" than another.
I just would like to see the language of the video in the listing.
You are right. That’s why in this year’s MUM in Tirana i changed the title and description of my presentations from English to Albanian (the language I was going to give them) :)
So the video in youtube has an Albanian title, the .pdf has an albanian name too. Very easy i think for everyone.
MikroTik should just ask the presenter to write the title and description of each presentation in the language that is going to be given. ☺️☺️
--Do you remember that guy who gave up? Neither does anybody else!

usv111
just joined

Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:40 pm

Please,

add multi-cpu(multi-core) support to Bandwidth Test Tool.

this is required for 10G/SFP+ speeds testing between CCR1036/ or between CRS317-1G-16S+RM devices.
At the moment Bandwidth Test Tool can generate only 2Gbps and utilize only 1 core on CCR routers.

Chupaka
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:11 pm

this is required for 10G/SFP+ speeds testing between CCR1036/ or between CRS317-1G-16S+RM devices.
At the moment Bandwidth Test Tool can generate only 2Gbps and utilize only 1 core on CCR routers.
https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:T ... _Generator
Russian-speaking forum: https://forum.mikrotik.by/. Welcome!

For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.

MikroTik. Your life. Your routing.

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:24 pm

When do we ever see the option of select and copy text in the winbox log files? This has been asked for years.
Plus the option to search for string of caracters?

When studying your logs in winbox it's at times hard to get the eyes focused on what you want to see if there are many lines to read through.
And copy and paste into a text file would make is so easy to quickly select what you are looking for.
Show your appreciation of this post by giving me Karma! Thanks.

Rudy R. Puister

WISP operator based on MT routerboard & ROS.

expert
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:20 pm

When do we ever see the option of select and copy text in the winbox log files? This has been asked for years.

When studying your logs in winbox it's at times hard to get the eyes focused on what you want to see if there are many lines to read through.
And copy and paste into a text file would make is so easy to quickly select what you are looking for.
What's hard on doing
ssh mikrotik "/log print" | less
?

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:50 pm

What's hard on doing
ssh mikrotik "/log print" | less
?
1. I am not doing ssh. 2. I don't want to print anything. I just want to quickly look in my log and highlight a line or try to find just one setting (one mac leaving or connectiong for example on an antenna) so I can see what happened or where something went wrong.
Why do I need to ssh into it when I am after 15 years still perfectly happy with winbox. And why should I need to print a log first before I do the things that is already any other program running on my screen?
What is so hard to just make my mouse highlight a line? This feature has been asked for by many over the years...
Show your appreciation of this post by giving me Karma! Thanks.

Rudy R. Puister

WISP operator based on MT routerboard & ROS.

muetzekoeln
just joined

Feature request: address lists for routes

Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:21 pm

I have a small feature request. For me it would be very helpful. There are some (about 35) IP networks better reachable by a special gateway than by default gateway (no BGP!).
It would be great if there would be an address list table where all these networks listet and add only one ip route for the list. Today address lists can only be used in firewall.

I know one can use firewall rules to establish routes, but I find this a little bit confusing.

Please make address lists available as destinations in ip route menu.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Feature request: address lists for routes

Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:31 pm

Please make address lists available as destinations in ip route menu.
That is actually already possible.
You add a route to 0.0.0.0/0 via your special gateway in the ip route table with a routing mark name you choose.
Then in your ip firewall mangle table you add a forward rule matching your address list and setting the action "mark routing" and select your mark name.

schadom
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:35 am

I'd love to see some routing and BGP-related improvements and features (like RPKI Origin Validation).
According to ROS changelogs, it's now almost over a year ago since the last BGP-related fix has been released:

What's new in 6.41 (2017-Dec-22 11:55):
*) bgp - added 32-bit private ASN support;

We've seen a lot of bridge, cloud, wireless and w60g-related stuff going on during the last months.
Now it's really the time to focus a little bit on routing again... make routing great again ;-)

lucasimo88
just joined

Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:56 pm

I'd like to ask to complete IPSEC/IKEv2 implementation.
Motivation is : lots of VPN providers - NordVPN and others - are moving to that, leaving L2TP/IPsec disappearing.
i need me too complete supporto for IPSEC/IKEv2 with EAP Authentication implementation for NordVPN
Last edited by lucasimo88 on Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

muetzekoeln
just joined

RFC 4191

Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:37 pm

Please support preference field in IPv6 router advertisements. Incoming and outgoing. RFC 4191.

TomjNorthIdaho
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:49 am

Please,

Of note: I have some CHRs running on VMware ESXi servers with 10-Gig network cards.
A single btest session uses a single CPU - however … multiple btest sessions (a mix of send & receive btest(s) appear to use multiple CPUs.
A single CPU assigned to my CHR ROS system can actually btest using vmxnet-3 Ethernet interfaces through the physical 10-Gig network cards can reach near 10-Gig throughput to another CHR btest device on a different VMware ESXi server.
Additionally , two CHRs running on the same physical VMware ESXi servers using vmxnet-3 interfaces can easily btest to each other at rates faster than 10-Gig (in my case , I have tested two CHRs on the same system at almost 19-Gig. And , a CHR running a btest to the loopback interface 127.0.0.1 can easily hit over 20-Gig. I have never seen a Mikrotik motherboard btest to the loopback 127.0.0.1 interface at even 1/4th that speed.
Also - in my opinion , a CHR running on a decent SuperMicro with fast Intel XEON CPUs and lots of CPU cache has always totally and easily way out performed all Mikrotik motherboards that I have tested. For example, a full BGP load on a 10-Gig feed is almost 10-times faster than a CCR1036 Mikrotik router.
Also - again in my opinion, a CCR1036 is good at speeds less than 2-Gig , and a CRS is more of a switch than a router and they are slower. On both your CCRs and CRS mikrotiks , run a btest to 127.0.0.1 and you will discover they are not all that fast or even in the neighborhood of performance a CHR with good hardware can deliver.

North Idaho Tom Jones

antonsb
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:24 am

Multithread support for btest is already added:
Version 6.44beta39 has been released.
*) btest - added multithreading support for both UDP and TCP tests;

Guntis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:42 am

Please,

Of note: I have some CHRs running on VMware ESXi servers with 10-Gig network cards.
A single btest session uses a single CPU - however … multiple btest sessions (a mix of send & receive btest(s) appear to use multiple CPUs.
A single CPU assigned to my CHR ROS system can actually btest using vmxnet-3 Ethernet interfaces through the physical 10-Gig network cards can reach near 10-Gig throughput to another CHR btest device on a different VMware ESXi server.
Additionally , two CHRs running on the same physical VMware ESXi servers using vmxnet-3 interfaces can easily btest to each other at rates faster than 10-Gig (in my case , I have tested two CHRs on the same system at almost 19-Gig. And , a CHR running a btest to the loopback interface 127.0.0.1 can easily hit over 20-Gig. I have never seen a Mikrotik motherboard btest to the loopback 127.0.0.1 interface at even 1/4th that speed.
Also - in my opinion , a CHR running on a decent SuperMicro with fast Intel XEON CPUs and lots of CPU cache has always totally and easily way out performed all Mikrotik motherboards that I have tested. For example, a full BGP load on a 10-Gig feed is almost 10-times faster than a CCR1036 Mikrotik router.
Also - again in my opinion, a CCR1036 is good at speeds less than 2-Gig , and a CRS is more of a switch than a router and they are slower. On both your CCRs and CRS mikrotiks , run a btest to 127.0.0.1 and you will discover they are not all that fast or even in the neighborhood of performance a CHR with good hardware can deliver.

North Idaho Tom Jones
Since beta version "6.44beta39", bandwidth test utilizes all of the CPU cores.

shiyiqiang08

Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:04 am

can rb450Gx4 add wireless?
i need small device but high performance ,but the rb450Gx4 or RB850G has no wireless.

iperezandres

Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:51 am

It would be awesome to be able to save the winbox personalized views, instead of having to rearrange every window every time we connect to a new device.

UPDATE: as it turns out, it already exists the solution: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=120033 :)

marosi
just joined

MPTCP-Kernel, Pound

Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:42 am

So dudes, christmas is coming soon and here are my wishes

- a mptcp enabled kernel
- sstp vpn combined with mptcp

this would make it possible to take (v)dsl lines combined with 4G/lte and establish vpn tunnels to a central vpn server.
the reassambling of packets is done by the mptcp kernel.

this would be a outstanding feature.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multipath_TCP

and the second one would be to implement pound as a loadbalancer service combined with letsencrypt certificates, wich would be my third wish.
implement letsencrypt including automatisation for certificare renewals.
the ppl could use routerboard hardware from 3011 to ccr1072 as loadbalancers for reasonable costs and connect the ports direct to a webfarm.

the useability in sum would increase quadratically.

muetzekoeln
just joined

Re: MPTCP-Kernel, Pound

Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:15 pm

- a mptcp enabled kernel
+1, although it's status is "experimental". Would also play nicely together with LISP (RFC6830) viewtopic.php?f=19&t=81674&p=699943&hil ... 30#p699943. In addition BBR is included in mptcp, which would be great.
BBR together with a proxy service (see below) would help for legacy end user devices with old tcp stacks.
pound as a loadbalancer service
+1, something like Pound would be really useful!
implement letsencrypt including automatisation for certificare renewals.
+1 again ;-)

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:25 am

winbox: please add some "windows list" feature, e.g. a button for every open window to the right of the "Session:" field below the menu bar.
this can be useful to have an overview what windows are open and to raise them when they are inadvertently lowered below another window.

I normally have the "Log" open fullsize and open all other windows on top of that. When I click somewhere outside of a window by accident,
all opened windows disappear behind that Log window and I have to re-open them from the menu.

Alternatively, it could be useful to have a "lower window" widget or right-click option so I can lower the Log window again (so all other open
windows appear on top of it).

WeWiNet
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:12 pm

pe1chl +1,
that would be awesome. hate to fiddle around the various windows...

Also a green/yellow/red color field within WINBOX to indicate if you are still connected to the router (green - connected, yellow - don't know, red-disconnected)
WeWiNet

MTCNA
hapac2, map, hap-lite

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:46 pm

Also a green/yellow/red color field within WINBOX to indicate if you are still connected to the router (green - connected, yellow - don't know, red-disconnected)
That isn't required because when you have no link, you will be disconnected (far to) quickly and lose the open window (reverts to connections list)!
What I would like to see is an option to disconnect only after 1-2 minutes of link-down, so it is possible to survive a router reboot somewhere inbetween.