Multi Chassis Link Aggregation for CCR1xxx and CRS3xx

Best regards
Alexandra

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Feature requests

Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:38 pm

In "queue tree" please provide the option of specifying limit-at and max-limit as a percentage of the limit on the next higher layer.
(within a queue tree, the values in the parent item. in the top item, maybe the interface speed when available. or percentages could be disallowed there)

When the value of the limit in the parent item changes, automatically re-calculate the values specified by percentage.

muetzekoeln
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:55 pm

In "queue tree" please provide the option of specifying limit-at and max-limit as a percentage of the limit on the next higher layer.
When the value of the limit in the parent item changes, automatically re-calculate the values specified by percentage.
+1

Yes please, this is very useful!

SaurVLZ
just joined

Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:09 pm

Please add temperature and voltage to the dashboard of the Winbox.
Often it is necessary to monitor the parameters and the location on the dashboard would simplify this at times.
winbox upg.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

iperezandres

Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:01 pm

Please add temperature and voltage to the dashboard of the Winbox.
Often it is necessary to monitor the parameters and the location on the dashboard would simplify this at times.
winbox upg.jpg
Now that you mention this, what about being able to personalize the parameters being shown on the dashboard? It would be useful to use a script to show any value or calculation.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:42 pm

Of course when you need a dashboard with all kinds of customized parameters it is easy to make that using SNMP.
I would make such a thing on a local webserver in Perl or PHP but undoubtedly there exist "user friendly" packages for Windows that can do that too.
And of course MikroTik have "the Dude" which can do that as well.

muetzekoeln
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Feature request: IEEE 1588 support

Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:19 pm

RouterOS includes limited (S)NTP support for syncing clocks. For many applications (e.g. in telecoms and industry) more time precision is required. Protocol IEEE 1588-2008 (aka PTP, IEEE1588v2) is used for this. It would be a great benefit if Mikrotik devices would support IEEE 1588 and function as transparent clock, better yet boundary clock. Maybe some of the built-in switch chips already support for IEEE1588 timestamping in hardware.

You find some information about IEEE 1588 here:
https://www.endruntechnologies.com/pdf/PTP-1588.pdf
https://www.endace.com/ptp-timing-whitepaper

This forum already had some discussion about IEEE 1588:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=70793&p=534801&hili ... 88#p534801
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=87471&p=465496&hili ... 88#p465496
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=79304&p=421858&hili ... 88#p421858
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=121198&p=605388&hilit=1588#p605388

Of course one has to have a grandmaster clock accessible to make use of IEEE 1588. Mikrotik devices only could transport PTP packets better, if supported.
Last edited by muetzekoeln on Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MikrotikOdessa
just joined

Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:48 am

I would like to receive SNMP traps when WiFi client registration occurs...

for example:
[WIRELESS]--Association:11G STA 80:b0:3d:xx:xx:xx associated with WLAN1 SSID = Mikrotik

It's very useful for smart home automation scenarios

Pada
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:10 pm

I would love the following Winbox (and WebFix) features to be added:
  1. Setting default options for Tools > Torch, because I always have to first deselect "Src. Address6" & "Dst. Address6" and then select "Port" & "Protocol"
  2. Setting to prevent drag & drop of Firewall rules to prevent accidental changes in firewall order

joegoldman

Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:54 pm

for example:
[WIRELESS]--Association:11G STA 80:b0:3d:xx:xx:xx associated with WLAN1 SSID = Mikrotik

It's very useful for smart home automation scenarios
You could replicate this with logging and a syslog (remote) logging server. Bit of a workaround

Jotne
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:42 am

As joegoldman write, syslog is your friend. Look at the project in my signature using Splunk to monitor Mikrotik.
I there dropped using SNMP at all, since then have to add/scan for all new devices.
Now a script on the router calls home with all information needed.

This is how the log lines looks like from Router using Syslog (even shows the signal strength and what VLAN used)
2019-01-24 08:48:09	wireless,info MikroTik: 04:79:70:A9:B1:B3@wlan2: connected, signal strength -45
2019-01-24 08:36:55	wireless,info MikroTik: 04:79:70:A9:B1:B3@wlan2: connected, signal strength -43
2019-01-24 07:51:17	wireless,info MikroTik: 04:79:70:A9:B1:B3@wlan2: connected, signal strength -39
2019-01-23 10:05:08	wireless,info MikroTik: 04:79:70:A9:B1:B3@wlan2: connected, signal strength -32

How to use Splunk to monitor your MikroTik Router

MikroTik->Splunk

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:32 pm

winbox: please have some feature to set (or completely disable) the live update interval of pages that show counters etc.

When managing a router via a slow network or when using winbox over something like RDP or X2GO and when it shows a page that has a lot of counters (e.g. firewall filter wih >200 filters) the winbox client is very busy with updating the page and it becomes difficult to actually do something (like moving a rule).
I would like to just pause the updating or configure it to update like every minute instead of "all the time".

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:45 pm

winbox: please have some feature to set (or completely disable) the live update interval of pages that show counters etc.

++

While at it, do it for WebFig as well.
BR,
Metod

DmitryAVET
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:29 pm

Dear Mikrotik, what about automatic sertificates from Let's Encrypt?

Keenetic (ex Zyxel) provide AUTOMATIC sertificates by Let's Encrypt:
https://blog.keenetic.com/keenetic-join ... r-society/

Why Mikrotik can't provide same?

SSL for WWW services, include WebFig, especcially remote, hotspot...

Check this out:
ssl.png
its cool!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

kiler129
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:57 am

A simple yet I think important request: provide IPv6 out of the box. This really requires a package to be present and some default firewall & stateless configuration enabled. I don't see the reason why in 2019 they are shipped with IPv4 only where even cheap consumer routers are IPv6 enabled OOB.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:24 am

A simple yet I think important request: provide IPv6 out of the box. This really requires a package to be present and some default firewall & stateless configuration enabled. I don't see the reason why in 2019 they are shipped with IPv4 only where even cheap consumer routers are IPv6 enabled OOB.

++

Specially so as loading IPv6 package means it doesn't have default settings (i.e. firewall rules) and user has to perform factory reset to get decent configuration as starting point - but loosing whatever already done in other parts (IPv4, wlan, VLAN, ...).
BR,
Metod

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:41 am

That is certainly true, but frankly even more important is to bring the IPv6 functionality up to par with what is available in IPv4.
There is a separate topic about that.
Unfortunately it appears the IPv6 developer has left the company (maybe he was also the BGP developer?)

krafg
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:37 pm

A request:

Please create a 2g/3g/4g high gain antenna (dual chain). mANT LTE 5o is very little.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:46 pm

A request:

Please create a 2g/3g/4g high gain antenna (dual chain). mANT LTE 5o is very little.

There are plenty of high-quality third-party antennae available ... one only needs appropriate connector coverters (many antennae come with FME connectors, so one needs SMAtoFME pigtails).
BR,
Metod

kiler129
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:59 am

(...)user has to perform factory reset to get decent configuration as starting point - but loosing whatever already done in other parts (IPv4, wlan, VLAN, ...).
Actually you can do
/system default-configuration print file=default-cfg
after installing IPv6 package and you will get the default config with IPv6 related stuff ;)
Unfortunately it appears the IPv6 developer has left the company (maybe he was also the BGP developer?)
Why do you think so? Did they said something (even unofficially)?

metricmoose

Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:39 am

We started renting Mikrotik routers to our customers as a basic managed WiFi solution and one thing that any ISP will run into with this type of setup is the customer hitting the damn reset button.

We'd love a way to change the default configuration that doesn't involve netinstall. It's extremely tedious to have someone sit there and netinstall a stack of routers with our custom configuration. There needs to be a better way! Mikrotiks are so close to being perfect for deploying as managed wifi.

To go with that, a basic Tr069 ACS able to run on RouterOS, like Dude or Userman, would be very useful. As long as it can handle applying configurations, setting wifi info and PPPoE logins, it will get people most of the there. Monitoring bandwidth, latency and WiFi stats would also be useful.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:50 am

(...)user has to perform factory reset to get decent configuration as starting point - but loosing whatever already done in other parts (IPv4, wlan, VLAN, ...).
Actually you can do
/system default-configuration print file=default-cfg
after installing IPv6 package and you will get the default config with IPv6 related stuff ;)

I know that ... but vast majority of SOHO users (and those seem to be the focus of MT lately) don't ... they struggle to enable IPv6 and don't bother with the rest of config ... just as they don't bother about IPv4 config, but luckily the default firewall for IPv4 is quite decent lately.
BR,
Metod

4lphanumeric
just joined

Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:08 am

Ability to swap the rx/tx representation in the graphing setting.

Normal : In -> green, Out -> blue
Swapped: In -> blue, Out -> green

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:52 am

Why do you think so? Did they said something (even unofficially)?
I think so, because NO development of these components has appeared aside from some minor bug fixes, for several years.
And also note they are trying to hire new developers for quite some time already.

Also, it appears the watchful eye that reminds the others in the room at the development meeting that IPv6 exists has disappeared.
New features like Kid Control and Detect Internet are developed and released WITHOUT IPv6 support.

neos14
just joined

Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:02 am

Please add support for SNMP views.
To be able to provide limited set of OID's for specific SNMP community.

dravnieks

Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:45 pm

flashing every router with netinstall is minor, and fast process, only issue, in later versions configuration is not persistant after reset.

Have you tried to aply default configuration on 40 Fritzbox routers?

40 Hap AC2 i would get flashed in less than 2 hours, get 24 port poe switch and pile of patch leads. Uploading config to Fritz will take 10 minutes per router because of endless reboots and button confirmations.

We started renting Mikrotik routers to our customers as a basic managed WiFi solution and one thing that any ISP will run into with this type of setup is the customer hitting the damn reset button.

We'd love a way to change the default configuration that doesn't involve netinstall. It's extremely tedious to have someone sit there and netinstall a stack of routers with our custom configuration. There needs to be a better way! Mikrotiks are so close to being perfect for deploying as managed wifi.

To go with that, a basic Tr069 ACS able to run on RouterOS, like Dude or Userman, would be very useful. As long as it can handle applying configurations, setting wifi info and PPPoE logins, it will get people most of the there. Monitoring bandwidth, latency and WiFi stats would also be useful.

muetzekoeln
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

PPPoE event scripts

Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:09 pm

It would be useful to have link-up and link-down event scripts for PPPoE client. And please make "message" from Authenticate-Ack and Authenticate-Nak available for parsing.

Some carriers communicate DSL connection speed by using Authenticate-Ack message:
https://www.ip-phone-forum.de/threads/s ... st-2274697
Last edited by muetzekoeln on Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mrz
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:19 pm

PPP profile already has on-up on-down events.

BartoszP
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:43 pm

It would be convinient to CAPSAM and DHCP to log to log not only MAC address but also HOSTNAME if it is known.
Process of transforming MAC 2 HOST is tedious and if log changes quickly you have no chance to check who is associating/dhcping
Real admins use real keyboards.

raffav
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:53 pm

It would be convinient to CAPSAM and DHCP to log to log not only MAC address but also HOSTNAME if it is known.
Process of transforming MAC 2 HOST is tedious and if log changes quickly you have no chance to check who is associating/dhcping
+infinity agree with that, Why in the logs cannot log the hostname/comment if is there, is very annoying to see/debug: mac abc123 connected mac abc123 disconnected

logistic69
just joined

Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:14 pm

Please Include VPN templates for IOS, windows 10.
it is nightmare trying to make work 6.43 to accept IOS 12.1 simply don't work.
or post a update wiki how to do it, avaery time a new router OS release came up it broke something in VPN.
sadly i need to change to other brand in other to do it.

TomjNorthIdaho
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:35 pm

Feature Request (1 of 2):
Mikrotik's wireless nv2 protocol ( a version of TDMA ) currently does not use encryption ( I think I am correct here … ).
I would like to see an ability to use a WPA-2 encryption on nv2 wireless networks.

Feature Request (2 of 2):
This is from a post I originally placed in the General forum under Public-Mikrotik-Bandwidth-Test-Server(s).

I would like to see a new optional Mikrotik ROS package which can perform http speedtests between Mikrotiks and client connected computers (something similar to http://my-mikrotik-IP-address/speed-btest).
… Where an optional login/password could be used to perform a http UDP-or-TCP up-or-down bandwidth test
… Where a client computer behind NATted Mikrotik could perform speedtests to their inside Mikrotik gateway IP address , and/or to any Mikrotik IP address out on the Internet.
… Where the Mikrotik admin has some control for maximum bandwidth, number of simultaneous speed-btest testers, and setting to limit how often a client can perform a http speed-btest.
… The Mikrotik http speed-btest should be a simple TCP-up, then TCP-down, then UDP-up then UDP down, followed by a round-trip-ping response time.
… The output after the http speed-btest could then report all kinds of information , including the number of dropped packets during each test -and- it would also be nice to show at what speeds RED ( Random Early Detection ) begins kicking in with dropped packets.
I suspect this type of a Speed-btest server could become very very popular. And the http speed-btest web page could show some pre-configured ISP hosting information and a URL indicating "Powered by Mikrotik" which links to Mikrotik. Mikrotik just might get a boost in sales from something like this.

ditonet
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:54 pm

DHCP server lease script can help you:
:local leaseHostName;
:if ($leaseBound = 1) do={
:set leaseHostName $"lease-hostname";
:log info ("DHCP server: $leaseServerName => MAC: $leaseActMAC => IP: $leaseActIP => Host Name: " . $leaseHostName);
};
Grzegorz | MTCNA, MTCRE | konsultacje MikroTik Warszawa
It is a book about a Spanish guy called Manual. You should read it. - Dilbert

Chupaka
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:50 am

Mikrotik's wireless nv2 protocol ( a version of TDMA ) currently does not use encryption ( I think I am correct here … ).
https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:N ... v2_network
Russian-speaking forum: https://forum.mikrotik.by/. Welcome!

For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.

MikroTik. Your life. Your routing.

DanielJB

"/interface ppp-client at-chat" wait missing

Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:51 pm

It is extremely useful to use the 'wait' parameter in "/interface lte at-chat" eg wait=yes.

Please can it be added for "/interface ppp-client at-chat" also as is missing?

muetzekoeln
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:39 pm

Can we get standard 802.11s support?
+1
802.11s would be useful to mesh for example with OpenWRT based devices (some of which may be routerboards ;-)

But to mesh RouterOS with coming commercial devices it would need Wi-Fi EasyMesh:
https://www.wi-fi.org/discover-wi-fi/wi-fi-easymesh

Please implement mesh protocols compatible with non-RouterOS devices!

DanielJB

Re: Feature requests - SSH autologout for security

Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:42 am

For more security, automatically logging out after the SSH session was idle eg for 10 minutes would be great!

On my Unix systems, I set TMOUT for root in a similar way.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:26 am

For more security, automatically logging out after the SSH session was idle eg for 10 minutes would be great!
I see that feature on some systems but frankly I just find it irritating (session has been logged out when you come back to it after studying how to solve some issue),
and frankly I don't see how that adds any security. Maybe a little more for telnet where you conceivably could take over the open session when you are at an
intermediate router, but for SSH that does not work.

DanielJB

Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:07 pm

I see that feature on some systems but frankly I just find it irritating (session has been logged out when you come back to it after studying how to solve some issue),
and frankly I don't see how that adds any security. Maybe a little more for telnet where you conceivably could take over the open session when you are at an
intermediate router, but for SSH that does not work.
SSH forwarding introduces a session takeover scenario, so there is security value of this feature (which is why other vendors implement it). Perhaps a default of 1h or never is better.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:46 pm

I think other vendors only implement it because it is on standard recommendation (or even requirement) lists, not really for security.
Similar to requiring (very) frequent password changes, requiring complicated passwords, etc.
All things that could be valuable in some limited scenarios but are imposed on everyone and everything just for the sake of being able to set a checkmark.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:25 pm

When a user or admin logs in incorrectly the following message is logged:

system,error,critical login failure for user xxxxx from ...

Please remove the username (xxxxx in this case) from this log message or provide a system setting to do that.
Logging the username for login failures is a security risk.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:03 am

Please add an ARP mode that replies to ARP requests with info from the local ARP cache.
E.g. local-proxy-arp-cache
When the router receives an ARP request on an interface where this is enabled, it first does a lookup in its own ARP table.
When the entry is found there, a reply is sent that is exactly the same as when that particular device would answer the ARP.
When not, either an ARP request is made first and after reply the data is replied from the cache as above, or the router
replies with its own MAC address as in local-proxy-arp. (whatever is more convenient to implement)

This is useful in large WiFi installations where filtering has been implemented to reduce the amount of broadcast traffic.
Usually in such a setup, devices can not communicate with each other because they do not hear each other's ARP requests.
A workaround for that is to setup local-proxy-arp in the router, but the result is that all such communication is flowing
via the router. This can be optimized by telling the requester the MAC address of the desired peer device on behalf of
that device.

muetzekoeln
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:27 pm

Dear Mikrotik, what about automatic sertificates from Let's Encrypt?
+1 again ;-)

viewtopic.php?t=92673

Chupaka
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:31 pm

The topic is marked as "Solved" :)
Russian-speaking forum: https://forum.mikrotik.by/. Welcome!

For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.

MikroTik. Your life. Your routing.

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:33 pm

Yeah, about that "solved"... If Let's Encrypt support is solved by the solution (workaround is better word(*)) presented in that thread, then we can magically solve all other RouterOS shortcomings right away. Why didn't we think about it before, it's so simple, just add Linux machine to your router! You can solve pretty much anything that way.

(*) Don't get me wrong, I don't have anything against it, it's nice idea, definitely better than nothing and can be good enough for someone.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:50 pm

I already did that Sob! I added an RPI for my DNS. ;-)
I'd rather manage rats than software. Follow my advice at your own risk! (Sob & mkx forced me to write that!)

mada3k
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:04 pm

IEEE1588 and SyncE would be great, but requires specific support in hardware level.

A more stressful issue is the need for BGP RKPI support.
Manages some CCR's, RB750Gr3, RB922 and wAP's

vecernik87
Long time Member
Long time Member

Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:48 am

To be honest, this is one of features which would be amazing and very appreciated.
Although it is possible to do through third-party device, it would be much more convenient to do it directly through ROS.
Unfortunately, I am afraid it won't happen because it would be very specific integration of 3rd party service and that never happened in the past (same as we don't have integrated support for 3rd party ddns or 3rd party VPN provider)

muetzekoeln
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:56 am

IEEE1588 and SyncE would be great, but requires specific support in hardware level

IEEE1588 works without hardware support, but performance is not so good. It even works over WLAN:
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Wu ... ion_detail

There are switch chips (also from QC) with support for IEEE1588 and sometimes SyncE since many years. It would be nice to know which Mikrotik products already have these built-in. Someone with this knowledge out there??

It could also support a better TDMA protocol as suggested here:
viewtopic.php?t=87471#p465494
viewtopic.php?t=70793&start=100#p515551

Maybe Mikrotik can also offer an affordable GNSS-based POE-powered IEEE1588 grandmaster-clock device for mast mounting ....

dohmniq
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:19 pm

Can we get standard 802.11s support?
+1
802.11s would be useful to mesh for example with OpenWRT based devices (some of which may be routerboards ;-)
[...]
Please implement mesh protocols compatible with non-RouterOS devices!
Also +1
I'm involved in a commercial project that is looking to use 802.11s but I have to install OpenWRT on Routerboards to get 802.11s support.
AFAIK, 802.11s is baked into the Linux kernel which is also used for RouterOS?
Using wireless snooper on RouterOS you wouldn't even know there was a 802.11s mesh on your frequency!