MikroTik App

wildbill442
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Bandwidth Test Tool and RADIUS

Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:30 pm

FYI

The bandwidth test server only seems to look at the local users file for authentication. Is there a way to allow it to query the RADIUS server for auth ?

omidkosari
Trainer
Trainer

Re: Bandwidth Test Tool and RADIUS

Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:23 am

+1
interesting feature

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:57 pm

no there is no such possibility to hook up bandwidth-test to authorize against RADIUS. That would require complete rework of named service to add such ability.

MichelePietravalle
Trainer
Trainer

Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:10 am

ok but it's a problem; i have setted-up a centralized auth for some tech and local users are disabled! now i have make a workaround with a user only for bandwidth but its a workaround.... :(

Yasir
just joined

Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:56 am

Hello,

Just thought to bring the subject alive again , it's been 2 years , and we can certainly say that we are using more and more of the product all over the world , as main/secondary nodes in the network

Adding this feature " Radius Authentication for Bandwidth Test " is necessary now to avoid problems of having to add a simple user just for Btest

Thanks

alex1
just joined

Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:36 am

Folks,

We hit that issue today and figured out that "Bandwidth Test" tool works ONLY with locally created users which doesn't make any sense!
To those who will be looking for a reason why they're getting the log message like that:
echo: system,error,critical login failure for user XXX via bandwidth-test

no there is no such possibility to hook up bandwidth-test to authorize against RADIUS. That would require complete rework of named service to add such ability.
Janisk, is it really hard to implement? This thread started back in 2010 and it's still not implemented yet. Could you please confirm that it's not fixed yet in any software release and please add it into the roadmap, if possible.

Is there any workaround like custom tool for Bandwidth Test with preconfigured username/password? For example, we can create RO local username on all the device just for Bandwidth Test, then create another custom tool where we would specify those credentials rather than using login/pass configured in the Dude for a device.

Please advise.

JimmyNyholm
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:57 am

I Did stumble over this today when I tried to uppgrade my sequrity a couple of notches.

+1000

Please add radius (PAP one time passwords) support to the bandwith testserver as well and only if radius server returns that user has a group that has the access offcourse

SergeyPotapov
just joined

Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:28 am

Today is December 2020, does anyone know is developers are planning to add authorization via radius to the bandwidth test?