Community discussions

raz
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Some Experiences with VRRP

Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:29 pm

Hey MT Users,

had someone a VRRP Setup in use? Is it working or are there some Bugs and its not stable?
What kind of Hardware you used?

Thanks

rmmccann
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Some Experiences with VRRP

Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:42 pm

I have it deployed in two locations right now.

We use it internally in two instances, one for each of our routers at each end of our network. If router A fails, traffic destined to that gateway goes to router B. If router B fails, traffic to router A, etc. It works as expected and I have not encountered any bugs or stability issues.

I'm running 6.7 currently. Our in-house setup is on x86 and the setup I have deployed for a client is on the RB2011 platform.
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. --Douglas Adams

raz
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:57 pm

Thanks for your Report! Im planning to use 2x CCR 1036 SFP+ and dont waste my Money :) Sounds great!

If im using 2x CCR for it:
Uplink_01 @ 10 GBit SFP+ ----   CCR_01       >         |
                                  | 10 GBit Link       |   ---- Core Switch (HA Setup)
Uplink_02 @ 10 GBit SFP+ ----   CCR_02    >            |
What happens if 15 GBit Bandwith are incoming? They loadbalance between the Units? How they balance?

Ibersystems
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:18 pm

VRRP is not a load balancing method.

Virtual Router Redundancy protocol, or something like this.

Or it's working Router A or is working router B. When Master dies, the child start to work as master.
Martín
martinruiz at ibersystems.es
Experto en redes WiFi y enlaces WiFi.

Facebook: @Ibersystems
Twitter: @Ibersystems

Certified in Traffic Shaping, Wireless, Internetworking, Routing and User Management.
MTCTCE - MTCWE - MTCINE - MTCUME - MTCRE

rmmccann
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:44 pm

Like Ibersystems said, VRRP is for failover.

If you want to load balance, you'd have to have a separate system in place. My configuration is setup similar to this wiki entry:
http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:VR ... ad_sharing

I control which default gateway is assigned to my computers via my Microsoft Active Directory setup. A startup script is run on machines in certain OUs to set a DHCP user class ID. From there, my DHCP server looks for this class ID and if found assigns my "alternate" default gateway so they use a closer router.
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. --Douglas Adams

raz
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:15 pm

Thanks for sharing, if im built it and tested it, im come back with my Review, but it would take some weeks / months.