Community discussions

MUM Europe 2020

airstream
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Usermanager webconsole clipping Usernames

Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:59 pm

Hi all, we have encountered a big problem in the latest release of Usermanger 2.9.32. Today I went through all our customers and changed nothing but the upload and download limits and then saved the user and on to the next. Now half our clients routers have disconnected and users cant login via PPPoE.

When going back to the usermanager web console all the usernames have appeared with the last few letters of the usernames clipped off!! both in M$ IE and Firefox.

So I try to delete the user, then recreate it but it will no longer accecpt usernames longer than 20 characters, a heap of customers are offline!!

How can i fix this time minimal?
Last edited by airstream on Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

airstream
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:23 am

Okay, I have a workaround. To alter a user in the Usermanager that has already got a longer username than 20 chars you will have to do so through the terminal console. That way you can still have usernames longer than 20 chars.

Is this a new feature to limit character length? or a bug in the javascript in the web console?
Keep tryin' its bound to work!!
-----
-----
ROOT@COSMOS> Reality.sys corrupted -- Reboot Universe (Y/N)?
>_

uldis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:52 am

sorry for that, we have specified limitation for the 20 characters. We will increase that. What could be the optimum limit of that field, will 50 be enough?

airstream
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:35 pm

Thanks uldis, IMHO a maximum character length of 50 for the username would be perfect, If it comes to limit the password field the same value may be good also. RFC2865 says this about character lengths:
Type

1 for User-Name.

String

The String field is one or more octets.  The NAS may limit the
      maximum length of the User-Name but the ability to handle at least
      63 octets is recommended.
Here it suggests 63 Characters