Community discussions

MikroTik App

pedja
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

USer Manager / DHCP / multiple subnets

Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:28 am

If I use User Manager for DHCP and on MT router I have two subnets assigned to two interfaces, user may connect to any of interfaces. How to set UserManager to assign different IP for the same user for each subnet?

pedja
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Re: USer Manager / DHCP / multiple subnets

Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:40 am

No solution?

msorensen
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:06 am

do not set a static ip for the user.

have a dynamic pool configured.

If no static IP is specified in UM, then the DHCP will use an IP from the pool associated with that interface and that DHCP server.

pedja
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:47 pm

I understand that. Thing is, I need static IP assigned.

msorensen
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:28 am

then you specify the IP that you want to be assigned to that MAC address.

http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/User_Manager/DHCP_Example

my testing suggests that the DHCP server will assign the IP address specifiied in the UM user record. It does even need to be within the designated DHCP scope - it will give that MAC the IP address that you specify in UM

pedja
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:02 pm

Ok, I'll take this as you are joking with me. Go, find someone else.

msorensen
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:43 am

same user for each subnet
I admit that I missed this part of the problem.

You're right, that does complicate things... the only approach that I can think of to address this would be to not specify an IP in usermanager, and then set up a static ip reservation to that MAC in each of the (2) different DHCP servers.

pedja
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:26 pm

That is how I do it now, but my idea is to use user manager to have all user settings centralized, including DHCP.

Giepie

Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:30 am

same user for each subnet
I admit that I missed this part of the problem.

You're right, that does complicate things... the only approach that I can think of to address this would be to not specify an IP in usermanager, and then set up a static ip reservation to that MAC in each of the (2) different DHCP servers.
sedja

What msorensen said is unfortunately the only way you'll get it working. Whenever you make use of an IP pool, the first available IP in that pool would be chosen, unless you have static bindings.

Are you routing each user's IP in a different way, or what is the reason for wanting to do it this way? If you have say 5 different types of clients, you could make use of 5 different IP pools and route those pool's subnets accordingly, instead of giving each user a "static" DHCP IP. Please explain what it is you are trying to accomplish and why.

pedja
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:39 am

LEt's simplify:

I run wireless community network. It is open, meaning, there are no restrictions for users to connect. However, I've set network to recognize registered members from visitors. Registered members get static IP leases, and guest get IP's from the pool.

Network is subnetted, and any registered user may connect in any subnet. Therefore I have to provide static IP for user regardles which subnet he connects to. All I have is users MAC.

Right now, I deal with this using DHCP only, but, it is hard to maintain, not because of one user is able to connect to any subnet, but just because all users are separated in subnets, and each subnet needs separate user administration. My idea was to use User Manager so I can handle all users in one place.

Now I am feced with this problem that User Manager can provide just one IP to one user, regardless which subnet he actually connects in.

Giepie

Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:49 am

LEt's simplify:

I run wireless community network. It is open, meaning, there are no restrictions for users to connect. However, I've set network to recognize registered members from visitors. Registered members get static IP leases, and guest get IP's from the pool.

Network is subnetted, and any registered user may connect in any subnet. Therefore I have to provide static IP for user regardles which subnet he connects to. All I have is users MAC.

Right now, I deal with this using DHCP only, but, it is hard to maintain, not because of one user is able to connect to any subnet, but just because all users are separated in subnets, and each subnet needs separate user administration. My idea was to use User Manager so I can handle all users in one place.

Now I am feced with this problem that User Manager can provide just one IP to one user, regardless which subnet he actually connects in.
In UM you can make use of the IP Pool function. If you give the unregistered users a pool called eg "UnregisteredPool" and the registered users a pool called eg "RegisteredPool", you can simply route accordingly. This way you'll have to have two IP Pools on each highsite/hotspot, with those names (RegisteredPool and UnregisteredPool).

I'm sure you can create a workaround.

Just a question, but isn't it perhaps a better idea to give the registered users a PPPoE Account instead?

pedja
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:16 pm

I am afraid I do not understand what you are saying :(

PPPoE is not an option. It would just make everything far too much complicated.

NetworkPro
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:52 am

Use HotSpot.