Community discussions

MikroTik App

hngjared
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Memory Leak Router OS 6.7

Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:22 am

I have a problem where my APs gradually consume all the memory and reboot.

Is there any way of writing a script to clear the memory so I don't have to schedule reboots in the early morning every couple days?

Any help would be greatly appreciated until MikroTik fixes their sh*t.

Thanks!

n21roadie
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Memory Leak Router OS 6.7

Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:11 am

Can I ask how are you monitoring memory usage?

hngjared
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:04 pm

Yes, I'm monitoring the memory through the resource graphing from within the routerOS.

I turned on email notifications after reboots and started finding I was getting reboots from equipment all over the place on seperate networks.

I'm trying to gather supout files for MikroTik support but it's hard to monitor the equipment and get the necessary files. Considering they want supout file when it's reaching it's peak at which point the board locks up and reboots without providing the file.

n21roadie
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:26 am

What boards are you using for ap's.

hngjared
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:30 pm

n21roadie,

I appreciate you taking the time to answer my posts.

I've narrowed down the problem and maybe you have an answer.

The problem is that the log files are writing to the memory and over time it builds up to the point where the radios are rebooting when there isn't sufficient memory. These are very crowded areas so the log file fills up pretty quickly with association and disassocaion and all other messages.

I like the log files for troubleshooting so I don't want to turn them off or on echo as I like to see the previous logs when I receive a problem call and it's very convenient to have them there in the logfile.

Not sure why MikroTik doesn't do a "1 in 1 out" on the log files but that would be ideal. Is there any way of clearing the log or setting a "1 in 1 out" to free up/conserve the memory?

I appreciate it.

n21roadie
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:03 pm

I did a quick check on some AP's and found one which has similar ram usage to yours until July and then it reduced, I must check my weekly backup’s for this AP and note what adjustments were done, I am still using 5.20

I would start by disabling and un-installing packages or services not required,
Also edit Wireless scan list from “default” to +/- 20Mhz above and below the AP frequency ( Example AP freq=5320, scan list=5300-5340)
Multicast Helper = Disabled,..................................

I have found that sometimes the issues can be caused by a connected router and not the effected router ?

So from this I have adopted a network wide policy of “if it’s not required in my configuration – then disable or uninstall”

Below is screenshot
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

electravis
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:27 am

I have sent several emails to support now and have had noting back.... I have over 2000 thousand aps in the field all with potential problem...

I have still not heard anything and am still having my aps reboot because of the following error

dec/27/2013 01:25:58 system,error,critical System rebooted because of kernel failure
dec/27/2013 01:25:58 system,error,critical Out of memory condition was detected
dec/27/2013 01:25:58 system,error,critical router was rebooted without proper shut

We are still having the issue with the memory leak. Even with logs turned off the memory slow goes download is never recovered. We have this issue with over 1000 boards in the field. I know that from past experiences with chip vendors that there are some libraries that have memory leaks that need work around. To me it looks like even though you don’t have anything writing to the log file that it is still writing it to memory. Is there anyway to flush this log file from memory flush memory command?

In short to me it looks like the log file is still writing to memory even though you do not have it enabled/or some resource is not releasing memory when done.

Ok so i have done some more looking my ARP table in the bridge currently has about 450 entries in it. This has the potential to get huge. Is there anyway to flush this host list?

Anything else that can uild into memory?

karina

Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:02 pm

Send your logs to external syslog server like the dude

electravis
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:08 pm

I dont want to sound stupid but how is this going to help me. What am I looking for?

Thanks

n21roadie
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:19 pm

Is this issue only effecting AP's only or is also effecting other Mikrotik devices which don't have a radio card?

hngjared
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:19 pm

It looks top be specific to APs.

I've tried everything and they continue to reboot.

Each reboot has a critical error of:
05:46:43 - System rebooted because of kernel failure
05:46:43 - Out of memory condition was detected
05:46:43 - router was rebooted without proper shutdown

I'm trying to get MikroTik their supout files in 3 phases but this has become a difficult task as the uptime differs with each reboot.

These are under a very basic configuration so I find it hard to believe no one else is having the same issue.

hngjared
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:04 pm

I've been working with MikroTik and it sounds like they've found the problem to the memory leak and will be addressed in the upcoming RouterOS release.