Community discussions

MikroTik App

simonkizi
Topic Author

Where is the MT Radius Server?????????

Fri May 05, 2006 7:28 pm

Hi guys, we were told a Mikrotik radius server was to be released in April, May .... When????????????

Anyone Knows...

We are basing businesses on this....

Please...

Thx.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon May 08, 2006 8:38 am

it will not be a radius server per se, it will be a user manager on RouterOS that will do similar tasks that you can achieve with a radius server. uldis will put it online today i think. a test package

Beccara
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue May 09, 2006 1:48 am

And a little WISP waits......

airstream
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed May 10, 2006 9:14 am

And waits...

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed May 10, 2006 9:56 am

what? it's on the website since yesterday ...

airstream
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed May 10, 2006 10:17 am

what? it's on the website since yesterday ...
my apologies normis. I have downloaded and tried this cool package, but cant log into the web interface, it just hangs then tells me it timed out :(

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed May 10, 2006 10:18 am

that's another story, the fix will be posted in 1 hour

ice

Wed May 10, 2006 10:52 am

Is it available for RB112 also?

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri May 12, 2006 8:58 am

it doesn't have enough memory

Thu May 18, 2006 12:59 pm

it will not be a radius server per se, it will be a user manager on RouterOS that will do similar tasks that you can achieve with a radius server. uldis will put it online today i think. a test package
Thx Normis.

Yet wanna know is there a way in Mikrotik to use only one unit to store the secrets on the whole network, thus act as a radius server?

Say 1 RB has all the secrets
Then the other RBs use the prior to authenticate: Radius = prior RB

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu May 18, 2006 1:10 pm

Duh? You are on the user manager thread. What you ask is the whole purpose of the product that we are discussing here. Download the user manager.

Tue May 23, 2006 9:15 pm

Thanks for the radius manager i had been testing it with my office building and it working well but i want to ask one question that is if it possible to fix bandwidth rate per user, and also like add calendar, so that when creating a user to set the date his subscription will expire thanks

airstream
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat May 27, 2006 6:33 am

Thanks for the radius manager i had been testing it with my office building and it working well but i want to ask one question that is if it possible to fix bandwidth rate per user, and also like add calendar, so that when creating a user to set the date his subscription will expire thanks
Indeed, is there a way to throttle the upstream and downstream speed of each client? can we set a date or button press in the manager web interface to set the user or each users current usage to zero again, say on the 1st of every month the current total data usage displayed is returned to zero? Also is there any way to attach user manager users to a profile already created in PPP settings of MT?

Cheers for the great package.

boocex
just joined

radius server nang mikrotik

Sun May 28, 2006 5:49 pm

lek konco kabeh sopo sing ngerti nguripi radius server nang mikrotik...
pls pencerahane yo??

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon May 29, 2006 9:04 am

english?

balimore
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:24 pm

english?
-------------------------------------------

Hi, Normis...

That is in moLatvia language... :P

Peace all
-------------------------------------------
BalimoreDOTcom

Giepie

Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:47 am

Hi all!

I laughed at Normis' witty attitude in some of his replies! Sometimes we seem to ask silly questions ie type before we think...

Anyways, I tried UM for the first time today. It took me about 20mins max to get it working. I have to admit I have some RADIUS experience, so it was pretty simple.

I find it a little limited in the sense of shaping packages etc. To me it looks more like a Hotspot solution rather than something an WISP would use. But, it is still in BETA and I think it's our job, as WISP's, to post ideas (not going overboard) of really critical goods we need.

Some features I see as important to WISPs (and probably usefull for Hotspots too):

1) Ability of choosing different packages of shaping. (If UM could let you choose different IP Pools from a drop down menu, rather than typing, one could configure queues to shape different IP's differently. The ideal would obviously be if it could work more like a RADIUS server with Burst attributes.)

2) Per User stats (In countries like SA where bandwidth is extremely expensive, we need to charge our clients on a per GB base in order to survive.)

3) Ability for users to login to your WISP Company Website and check status online. (I played a bit with scripts earlier, it seems to be possible somehow, but I'd rather wait for the UM te become closer to full release)

4) Ability to disable or move to different profile (ie CAPPING the user) after a certain scenario has been reached eg Putting user onto a 16kb profile after his 4GB limit has been reached, and disabling the user for X period if reched over 6GB for that month. NB It will definitelly be important to implement a feature to add more GB's (or time etc) to the user's "account" FOR THAT MONTH only, if the client decides to purchase another 1GB or 60min etc. (If the user chooses to permenantly use the 5GB package, then move him to another profile)

5) Ability to run more advanced scripts. A good example would be to make a script which will email the client everytime he does 1GB of traffic..

6) Ability to authenticate wireless users on a MAC level. (I would apply it so the user can only use their account on THEIR MAC on X Highsite(s)) [This is not too difficult using a standard RADIUS server]

7) Ability to write your own front end. Typical application would be in a Hotspot scenario. You want the receptionist to logon to their company home page: http://www.somepage.com/hotspot to add or change users. She might be "blonde" :D so you want to make the ADD buttuns nice and large. This is allready possible using the Hotspot manager.

8) This is completely off-topic, I know, but it would really be nice if MT can also create a SugerCRM-like interface which is able to link with USERMANAGER. This will help with support tickets, tracking of WISP users' problems and many other things.

Just some tips I think some people might need/like:

1) It is possible to redirect a client's browser to a page on your webserver (or MT) displaying a message about reaching their CAP, and a link to their online banking institution to purchase more GB's/time

2) It is also possible to redirect clients to an apology site when you experience bandwidth problems.

3) It is possible to forward ALL smtp traffic to a SMTP server (AND NO, MIKROTIK WILL NOT BRING OUT A SMTP SERVER SOON WITH GOOD REASON!!) on your network. (Most SMTP does not allow you to relay using a different ISP)

4) Using PPPoE on a Windows PC, you get some encryption error. FIX is to only use CHAP authentication on your PPPoE Server.

If anyone else has idea's (only valid and useful ones), please post them and see if MT can help us out.

Regards, G

balimore
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: radius server nang mikrotik

Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:37 am

lek konco kabeh sopo sing ngerti nguripi radius server nang mikrotik...
pls pencerahane yo??
n

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
boocex sing ganteng

opo'o karo radius'e, tek' koe nang kene sing kowe maksud'e yo iso urip. arep'e di'enggo opo, kabeh iku kepenak di'enggo tapi sik akeh sing kurang e yo ora opo-opo so'ale mbah'e lagi nyoba aku dewe lagi ngenteni sing duwe gawe...mugo-mugo iso cepet.

peace....!

regards,
wong goendoel
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:53 am

So now you both should promise to come to our asia MUM.

balimore
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:18 am

So now you both should promise to come to our asia MUM.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
morning,
normis

yes, if possible and have time me and my partner business will go to singapore, just attanding MT meeting....cause special time in ASEAN. now our schedule must be clear with new router,...

are you come in Singapore toooooo,..........?

regards
Wong Goendoel
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------