Community discussions

MikroTik App

uldis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support
Topic Author

MikroTik User Manager documentation

Fri May 12, 2006 5:46 pm

We have created a small documentation how to use MikroTik User Manager. You can find it in the Mikrotik Wiki page:
http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/MikroTik_User_Manager
Also you can look at this Power point presentation on the User Manager to know what it is:
http://www.mikrotik.com/download/MUM-ULDIS-Userman.ppt

uldis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support
Topic Author

Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:04 pm

We are starting to update the user manager documentation:
You are welcome to help us to improve it, by adding your questions/answers, application examples...

balimore
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:10 pm

We are starting to update the user manager documentation:
You are welcome to help us to improve it, by adding your questions/answers, application examples...
----
yes,,,,yess...
again... thannnnnnnnk you Userman[ULDIS] and mikrotik teams as your hard work :wink:

Regards
happiness day
Hasbullah.com
----

jahwara
just joined

Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:53 pm

:D :D This is what we just needed :D :D

thank you :)

dxnation
just joined

Re: MikroTik User Manager documentation

Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:18 am

This is really nice mate.

I am sure many will be benefited by this.

dannaija
just joined

Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:57 pm

Thats a good one for every user. :lol:
Hope to meetup with you on the update as am struggling to catch up with the usage now.

twana222

Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:37 pm

Dear Elds,
now i want to install user manager how many routerboards i need?

userman
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:26 pm

It is sufficient with one router - both Radius Server (User Manager) and Radius clients (HotSpot/PPP/DHCP) may be running on the same box.

twana222

Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:23 pm

thank you

reinerotto
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:51 pm

Is there any detailed docs for User-Manager command line interface ?
Would be very handy for scripting ...

the0siris
just joined

Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:40 pm

I've been looking for userman documentation .. thanx a lot for uploading these docs ... :D

segmino
just joined

Wed May 26, 2010 9:39 pm

It is sufficient with one router - both Radius Server (User Manager) and Radius clients (HotSpot/PPP/DHCP) may be running on the same box.

please, I want to download and install directly user manager V4.2, because my RouterBaod 1000 is V4.2. How to do??

dunga
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:05 pm

This has old documentations, what of the documentations for user manager test package 4.x

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:12 pm

this has a lot of information on the test package http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/User_Mana ... e_specific

ekkas
Long time Member
Long time Member

Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:36 pm

Documentation for 4 test package (Profiles/Limitations) is removed.

pedja
Long time Member
Long time Member

Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:20 pm

Where can we find documentation for userman-test for mt 4.17?
Wiki is lacking even basic information.

dunga
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:04 pm

Documentation for 4 test package (Profiles/Limitations) is removed.
Still in need of the documentation for the test package.

Mikrotik team, please do something urgent about this as i want to make of the new features that are in the test package.

Thanks

pedja
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:39 am

Is it possible to run old UserManager on v5? It is prety useless to have device with v5 without manual.

Mashimoto
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:07 pm

I agree. I was totally lost in the beginning and only after MUCH/MANY hours of trial and hours I'm a semi-one legged pirate (=not standing on both feet)...

Gazza
just joined

Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:40 pm

this has a lot of information on the test package http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/User_Mana ... e_specific
Well it seems to me that after the initial docs were put up 5 years ago, not much has happened to help us guys integrate User Manager into our networks.

I see everywhere over the net people desperately needing answers to UM questions, yet not many are full or comprehensive enough to allow us to install and use UM and I now find myself asking specific questions here, simple questions that should have been answered in the documentation.

I have built a network that has a 7 node backhaul infrastructure with 2 internet feeds so far with more to be added later, once I can take some money from it.

I have a total of 10 hotspots running in various places in the network with a potential client base of random tourists and full-time residents, so basically I use a mixture of 2.4 & 5.8Ghz with residents using PPPoE authentication and tourists, or clients close enough from a base station logging in from a hotspot.

The promise of User Manager is to give an automated, highly configurable and intuitive way to authenticate users from a central place (router), allowing them to sign-up and pay for a service that has taken a billion hours to setup anyway and many more 1,000's of Euros than expected.

So please, can someone tell me why the docs you suggest are just plain confusing and incomplete?

I don't profess to know too much about ROS, I have a guy that does that for me, but I do know how to make and erect towers, make some boxes, connect a few cables and routerBoards together, so why is it so hard for anyone to actually come up with some decent manual of installation and use of your software?

Apart from getting my hands dirty, I also code e-commerce software which I sell online, it's not massive, but it fills a gap and I took it over from the original author because he couldn't afford the time it was taking him to support his customers. Basically, the forum was being bombarded daily with different questions which would take all of his time without earning from it.

When I took over this software, the first thing I did was re-write all the documents and gave different working examples, scenarios and suggestions so people could get a grasp of what the software is, how it works and how it can be integrated into a new or existing site.

Within 1 month after taking over that software, forum posts reduced to maybe 2 per week and even then I could simply point them to the correct, accurate and complete answer they were looking for.

This just left me to keep taking the money and concentrate on coding for customers who would pay me for bespoke code, or to create add-ons to further enhance the product.

The biggest part of my software includes the ability to take money, which is the main reason my product exists and I have written some 13 different payment gateway modules that integrate seamlessly into it. A sort of plug and play module approach for each gateway.

User Manager is sort of the same, it should allow the integrator to efficiently setup a way to take money from a service that he has created by buying your product, likewise, RouterOS is like my core e-commerce product, it performs the core functionality to create a working network and so too User Manager is like 1 of my payment gateway scripts that should be easily integrated to allow payment processing.

Frankly your docs suck!!!

I know your RouterOS is complex and massive, but so too is my e-commerce software, yet my forum is quiet these days because my customers have all the answers to most of their questions right there in front of them.

Normis, to date, you have almost 13,000 posts on this forum since 2004, the original author of my software had just over 1,300 in 2 years and I have just 633 in the last 8 years. Your post above directs us to a page that has incomplete information and non-existent pages.

Please, please listen to your customers, give them complete and concise answers, re-write your documentation, if I knew enough about it I would and don't assume everyone knows everything. Treat each answer to a question like you're telling someone who knows nothing about your software or how it works, or how it integrates.

People come to this forum for answers, make them count, otherwise you're wasting your time and ours.

You earn your money by creating a hardware product supported by some awesome software that ticks most boxes for WISPs. Your product is affordable to average people that can see the potential in setting up a network, so why not make it easier? You will sell more products, spend less time answering questions and you may even sleep easier at night, unlike most of us that have invested time and money which is hard to get back because of a lack of documentation.

I am not being argumentative, but I have wasted some 3 weeks, day and night trying to find some simple answers to my simple questions which has caused me to come back to this pathetic excuse of a forum thread entitled "MikroTik User Manager documentation". Just take a look at the number of views on this thread, the "User Manager v4.0 test package" thread and your " User Manager Payment Systems" thread.

Need I say more, I don't think so...

Regards,

Gary

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:45 am

did you email support? at least once?

Gazza
just joined

Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:58 pm

Hi Normis,

I didn't email support since my questions should be answered first in the documentation and secondly on the forums and that's my point. My questions are probably so trivial, why should I bother support with them or take valuable space on this forum which should be available for clear concise questions and answers.

Ok, so you asked...

Here's my setup:

RB750 ROS 4.17
Ether1 -> ADSL Modem connected to Internet with PPPoE-Client Out
Ether2 -> TP-Link WiFi router set to bridge mode with hotspot setup and working
Ether3 -> RB750 ROS 5.5 running User Manager setup and working (almost)
Ether4 -> Windows PC running The Dude and managing my Network
Ether5 -> RB433 ROS 4.17 on roof -> SXT 5HnD -> Rest of Network ...

And here's my Dude output

What I need to do is create a Firewall rule that will direct the response from PayPal to the RB750 running UM.

I send PayPal the correct IP for my Internet connected RB750 and add port number 28100 to it so I then know that it is PayPal trying to send the response, the idea is that when the RB750 running ROS 4.17 receives this incoming data using port 28100, I should be able to redirect it to the other RB750 running ROS 5.5 and User Manager and change the port to use the same as the www service setup on that box which is currently 81.

The same applies to the rest of my network, I can then use the outside IP along with the port number to then get to UM for signing people up and allowing them to pay and use one of my hotspots.

As you can see in the picture above, I have 2 Internet connections, 1 top left and 1 bottom right and the yellow network segments depict my 12 hotspots running, although the bottom right hand one is my indoor AP, which is the one I am testing on. Eventually, once I know I can get it working there, I will put it on an RB433AH which has a microSD card and is central in my network and then pass all network authentication to it.

So far I can get to the UM sign-up page from the hotspot using the local (inside) IP given in WinBox RADIUS, I can create a user/pass and I can even get to PayPal and pay, but PayPal cannot send the response to UM because it is behind the first RB750, which I can access using the outside IP.

I originally had everything setup on the 1 RB750 running ROS 4.17, but having read and seen that ROS 5.5 UM yields more results, I decided to add in the other RB750 and upgrade it to ROS 5.5 with UM. Things are a lot more stable now and I get less hangs and quirky behavior.

It has taken about 3 weeks of constant reading and testing and reading again and searching and testing etc. because your docs suck and I am now desperate to get this working after wasting so much time getting this far.

It should have been a case of simple, step-by-step instructions in plain English that I could follow, with all the other Firewall Rules that need to be added and the myriad of other settings that need to be configured, all set out in ONE place with an explanation of what is what, why it's needed and how it affects the setup. I still don't know what my NAS Port Type is or what it should be... :?

I now know that once I can get PayPal to speak with UM, I will still have a lot to do so I can eventually start taking some money, but at least I know I will be 1 step closer instead of running round in circles following links to incomplete and confusing information.

Once I get this whole thing up and running, I WILL WRITE YOUR USER MANAGER DOCUMENTATION and hopefully make it easier for your customers to make use of this promising add on for RouterOS.

I look forward to your reply, kindest regards,

Gary

d3m0

Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:58 pm

So..... we are at same point? Still with no docs?

I missed so much old-style 700 pages manual :(

I think Mikrotik rocks but its documentation lacks professionality.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:28 am

So..... we are at same point? Still with no docs?

I missed so much old-style 700 pages manual :(

I think Mikrotik rocks but its documentation lacks professionality.
there are ~~3000 pages of documentation for RouterOS. But User Manager is a separate system, and as it was said before, it's currently under development freeze (we can fix major bugs, but we don't add features and don't write docs). We will see when we can resume it's development.

d3m0

Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:20 pm

Hi Normis, thanks for replying...

The only thing I don't understand is why a undocumented service is ready in stable releases. It's very confussing to setup Usermanager4 from a new routerboard with newer firmwares (5.x) following wiki documentation that mostly talks about Usermanager 3.

Personally I prefer older UM version but well documentated than newer and shiny version but with no reference docs.

pedja
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:31 pm

There is no point of writing documentation for half-finished product.

Who knows where it will go until they finish it (if at all they do, as it is now more likely to be abandoned) so any documentation written now would be wasted.

d3m0

Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:38 pm

I agree but why include a half-finished product in stable releases? As I said before, I prefer v3 well documented than v4 practically unusable.

Anyway a wiki is a powerful tool (if anyone updates it of course....)

ste
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:27 pm

I cant understand why anyone uses UM. MT clearly stated that they ended development. So this a clear signal to use something other.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

pedja
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:49 am

Well, it is pretty much understandable need to have routing and user managing in single device. It is not a problem of Mikrotik abandonig User Manager, but preventing us to use something else instead and get the same level of functionality.

phrozenpenguin

Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:54 am

I cant understand why anyone uses UM. MT clearly stated that they ended development. So this a clear signal to use something other.
Can you point me to where this is stated? Is there an alternative to run on a single device? Thanks

d3m0

Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:57 pm

I`m also intetested in a all-in-one solution too. Maybe a tiny distro virtualized via metarouter? I didnt tried it and dont know how is it performance.

PPJ

Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:56 pm

I am, confused, frustrated and naivly hopefull.......

This forum "The User Manager" like has been said is quite active. The User Manager is included with updates of ROS.

If MT has abandonded UM then why still distribute it?

If the the last release of UM that was "stable" is still distributed why not document it properly?

I wonder how many hardware MT sold directly because of the "hotspot"..............? That should be an incentive in it self to give proper attention to UM. ROS documentation 3000 pages....?????? and still very difficult and extremely time consuming to find what you want to know. Get a technical writing team......

The thought crossed my mind that bad documentation sells more training courses and make alot of money. I have also noticed that resellers are not keen to share even the smallest bit of info with the us users/installers but push MT training agressively, maybe they do not know the answers or cant give lectures to clients. Training sessions are frightfully exspensive and quite worthless....... no one can learn, or present, ROS in a few days, it is simply too comprehensive. The documentation I received during the training is worthless for reference afterwards.

Proper documentation is vital!!

I put a topic on the forum, lots of views and NO REPLIES. If I had a proper manual I will not (should not) ask questions so stupid that no one actually bothers to react!!

The point has been made already, but I use the forum as a last resort for 'beginners" questions. It is simply too time consuming to browse hundreds of topics in the hope that I find what I want to know.

I am still very hopeful because if MT documentation is going to be as good as RB and ROS it will be FANTASTIC.

d3m0

Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:13 pm

PPJ 100% agree with all your reply. Never told better (maybe beacuse my poor english :) ).
I'm also thinking bad and I bet that UM is still in production releases because they prefer that we work with it and use the forum to document it but I'm afraid that this is not going to go by the right track.

it's a shame because UM has a lot of potential

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:12 am

Guys, Christmas time is near ;)
What's new in 5.12:

*) user manager - command to create and assign user profile from console;

JP_Wireless
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:24 pm

I am, confused, frustrated and naivly hopefull.......

This forum "The User Manager" like has been said is quite active. The User Manager is included with updates of ROS.

If MT has abandonded UM then why still distribute it?

If the the last release of UM that was "stable" is still distributed why not document it properly?

I wonder how many hardware MT sold directly because of the "hotspot"..............? That should be an incentive in it self to give proper attention to UM. ROS documentation 3000 pages....?????? and still very difficult and extremely time consuming to find what you want to know. Get a technical writing team......

The thought crossed my mind that bad documentation sells more training courses and make alot of money. I have also noticed that resellers are not keen to share even the smallest bit of info with the us users/installers but push MT training agressively, maybe they do not know the answers or cant give lectures to clients. Training sessions are frightfully exspensive and quite worthless....... no one can learn, or present, ROS in a few days, it is simply too comprehensive. The documentation I received during the training is worthless for reference afterwards.

Proper documentation is vital!!

I put a topic on the forum, lots of views and NO REPLIES. If I had a proper manual I will not (should not) ask questions so stupid that no one actually bothers to react!!

The point has been made already, but I use the forum as a last resort for 'beginners" questions. It is simply too time consuming to browse hundreds of topics in the hope that I find what I want to know.

I am still very hopeful because if MT documentation is going to be as good as RB and ROS it will be FANTASTIC.
MT is handling our views the way they want just because they have not gotten good competitor that is user friendly and runs like ROS/UM, but I can assure them, it wouldn't be long, they will get a good fight that will make them sit up. The new UM is not for starter at all, even we, we find it difficult at times to find our way through in some areas. The need for its documentation now is inevitable if people must follow the release trend by upgrading.

The MUM is just a Seminar and not a lecture nor training school, what can you learn in three days about something you knew nothing about?

I know a couple of guys from India that are working day and night to get a better ROS/UM that will be more acceptable than MT. Time will Tell!

ulikroessin
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:40 pm

Hello,
normis

Post subject: Re: MikroTik User Manager documentation Reply with quote
Guys, Christmas time is near ;)

Quote:
What's new in 5.12:

*) user manager - command to create and assign user profile from console;
now easter is over and no new cognitions.

Many thing are said here and I agree. It is a bad thing if they have a program without a appropriable documentation. And it is a bad thing if they have a forum with many questions and only few answers...

Regards

Uli

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:52 pm

ulikroessin what do you mean? User Manager with console support was released very long time ago, in Christmas time, like the above post said. You refer to v5.12, but current version is already v5.14

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:19 am

how is this related to console commands?
your basically complaining about other features. I has been said before, that user manager is not in active development right now.

ulikroessin
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:29 pm

Hello Normis,

first: I´m working with UM and it is a great thing, especialy that they don´t need another server. This "oneboard-solution" is good.
how is this related to console commands?
May be that not erveryone is a programmer?
And: If there is a console-command-solution for this: http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=59821
why I (and others) don´t get an answer since more than 6 weeks? I think a forum is for help. If I know or find help in wiki / documentation, I do not ask.
...that user manager is not in active development right now.
May be, but this is not an answer to the existing problems. If Mikrotik offers a program-part like UM in a brand new version I expect to get some dokmentation and / or a little bit of help in a forum.

If I read this topic, I see that I´m not the only one that thimk so. Please let us come to a useful work in and with this forum and the famos UM and let us determine barren discussions.

Regards

Uli

JP_Wireless
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat May 05, 2012 4:40 pm

It is a pity, no encouragement word not even from the Mikrotik Forum Moderator as in whether there is hope for documentation or not. The headeche now is we have invested so much both time and money into mikrotik, otherwise, it is hi time for one to make a u-turn. All the people we introduced to mikrotik are asking questions relating to the new UM and I can't help. Simple question that documentation will have answer.
um no document.png
MT should stop realesing new UM, let them revert back to version 4.17 as the stable point based on what the old documentaion can support.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dunok
just joined

Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:38 am

thank you
please can you help I can set up hot spot on my routerboard 951ui-2HnD, I want also to setup user manager on it but I can just figure it out. i have followed all the steps but can get it.

JP_Wireless
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:49 am

Dunok

please can you help I can set up hot spot on my routerboard 951ui-2HnD, I want also to setup user manager on it but I can just figure it out. i have followed all the steps but can get it.
Sorry i was away on site for some serious projects. Have you figured it out? I mean the hotspot!

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:51 am

MikroTik is working on a new User Manager for v7. This will have full documentation. It is coming soon.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:12 pm

Does it mean that the v7 is coming soon? How much soon? (knowing the answer...) :-)

alexap
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:35 pm

as to when it will RouterOS version 7 with the new UM?

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:46 pm

depends on what you mean by coming. alpha exists for a long time already, public beta could come soon, but I don't think you will use it for important installations :)

samratbhattarai
just joined

Re: MikroTik User Manager ip pool defining issue

Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:25 pm

Hello Sir,

How can I use my own ip pool in usermanual>profiles>limitation>contrains. I have been trying to use my own ip pool, groupname, and address list but thisis not working.

Thank you

ZeroByte
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:30 pm

public beta could come soon, but I don't think you will use it for important installations :)
Hi, I'm from the future. This turned out to not be the case, sadly. :(

(I got excited until I noticed this was a necro-post)

mohandesit
just joined

Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:57 am

Hi How can I get latest version of MikroTik User Manager documentation?

imanfarahi
Trainer
Trainer

Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:13 am

Hi Every body
would you please tell me about is there any command to show user statistics and some thing like this for example user traffic usage and how much left and so on
Best Regards

pukkita
Trainer
Trainer

Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:22 am