Community discussions

MikroTik App

Caluamba
just joined
Topic Author

MICROTIK ROUTBOARD 1100 SETUP

Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:51 pm

Hi guys,
im new in this forum and new using Microtik products. can anyone help me o first setup? the documentation and videos are not simple.

Regards in advance.

TomosRider
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: MICROTIK ROUTBOARD 1100 SETUP

Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:13 pm

Hi Caluamba.
Can you give us more info?
For what purposes you need setup? Are you going to have some wireless networks? Do you need to use firewall? Is this your core router? How big is your network? Do you have need for dynamic or static routing?

Caluamba
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:39 pm

Hi Caluamba.
Can you give us more info?
For what purposes you need setup? Are you going to have some wireless networks? Do you need to use firewall? Is this your core router? How big is your network? Do you have need for dynamic or static routing?
Hi, TomosRider .
Thank you for your reply. i want to setup on new office. i never used microtik products but many people are rating 100% good.
so we have 10Mb dedicated internet with 3 ips (one for internet, one backup and other for firewell) maximum 50 computers on network ( LAN including wireless ). so i would like to setup only for internet.
regards

TomosRider
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:43 pm

As far as i understand, you need to setup 4 interfaces, except if you are using IPS or IDS, but there is no need for external HW firewall because you can setup your mikrotik to act as a statefull firewall.
For example, you can assign eth1 to act as WAN(your internet gateway), add second ip scope for your LAN segment and one more for your wireless segment.One more is your backup/failover interface. You can easily achieve this by using Winbox.
Check this great forum for some firewall best practices and study cases. Dont forget to disable ip services that you know you wont be using, minimalizing the security risks.

If you need anything else, feel free to ask, glad that i can help. Cheers!

Caluamba
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:28 pm

As far as i understand, you need to setup 4 interfaces, except if you are using IPS or IDS, but there is no need for external HW firewall because you can setup your mikrotik to act as a statefull firewall.
For example, you can assign eth1 to act as WAN(your internet gateway), add second ip scope for your LAN segment and one more for your wireless segment.One more is your backup/failover interface. You can easily achieve this by using Winbox.
Check this great forum for some firewall best practices and study cases. Dont forget to disable ip services that you know you wont be using, minimalizing the security risks.

If you need anything else, feel free to ask, glad that i can help. Cheers!
Tnks TomosRider!

This is what i want. i have ip from ISP and i tryied to setup, not working.

do you have any tutorial, step by step? sorry for that.

Regards

shadowskippie
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:56 pm

there isn't simply a tutorial for mikrotik. its an indepth routing platform.

The best option here is to give us an in depth explanation of what you need done and we'll tell you what to do. We're not going to ask you to go figure it out on your own as it sounds like the kind of thing you need done will take you much too long to learn on your own.

we'll guide you and then you can expand your knowledge from there on your own.

TomosRider
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:57 pm

Caluamba, i can give you mikrotik wiki page, its full of good examples and explanations.
http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:TOC
There is no shortcut, but i think if you have basic understanding of TCP/IP, you should do just fine. Remember to experiment in safe mode if you are working from remote site.

Cheers!