Community discussions

MikroTik App

format19
just joined
Topic Author

RB750UP - Change Gateway to eth5

Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:14 pm

Hi,
Im using an RB750UP to power and handle several pieces of MTIK hardware.
I want to power the RB911G board that I use to connect to the backbone from the RB750UP but you cant send PoE on eth1.

I want to make the eth5 port the WAN port and either disable port 1 or add port 1 to the switch controlled by eth2-Master

I have almost got it working but even though the RB750 has internet (can ping 8.8.8.8) on port eth5 if I plug my laptop in to either eth2, eth3, eth4 I get assigned the correct details (ip address on the 192.168.88.0 network) with DHCP server and DNS servers set but the laptop has NO internet ?

Here is the export of my settings:
/interface ethernet
set [ find default-name=ether1 ] disabled=yes name=ether1-disabled
set [ find default-name=ether2 ] name=ether2-master
set [ find default-name=ether3 ] master-port=ether2-master name=ether3-slave
set [ find default-name=ether4 ] master-port=ether2-master name=ether4-slave
set [ find default-name=ether5 ] name=ether5-gateway
/ip pool
add name=default-dhcp ranges=192.168.88.10-192.168.88.254
/ip dhcp-server
add address-pool=default-dhcp always-broadcast=yes disabled=no interface=ether2-master lease-time=23h10m name=dhcp1
/ip address
add address=192.168.88.1 interface=ether2-master network=192.168.88.0
/ip dhcp-client
add comment="default configuration" dhcp-options=hostname,clientid disabled=no interface=ether5-gateway
/ip dhcp-server network
add address=192.168.88.0/24 comment="default configuration" dns-server=8.8.8.8,8.8.4.4 gateway=192.168.88.1
/ip dns
set allow-remote-requests=yes servers=192.168.88.1,8.8.8.8
/ip dns static
add address=192.168.88.1 name=router
/ip firewall filter
add chain=input comment="default configuration" disabled=yes protocol=icmp
add chain=input comment="default configuration" connection-state=established,related disabled=yes
add action=drop chain=input comment="default configuration" disabled=yes in-interface=ether5-gateway
add action=fasttrack-connection chain=forward comment="default configuration" connection-state=established,related disabled=yes
add chain=forward comment="default configuration" connection-state=established,related disabled=yes
add action=drop chain=forward comment="default configuration" connection-state=invalid disabled=yes
add action=drop chain=forward comment="default configuration" connection-nat-state=!dstnat connection-state=new disabled=yes in-interface=ether5-gateway
/ip firewall nat
add action=masquerade chain=srcnat comment="default configuration" out-interface=ether5-gateway
/system clock
set time-zone-name=Europe/Madrid
/tool mac-server
set [ find default=yes ] disabled=yes
add interface=ether2-master
add interface=ether3-slave
add interface=ether4-slave
add interface=ether5-gateway
/tool mac-server mac-winbox

If anyone can spot the issue or give me a new script to run on the RB750UP I would really appreciate it, thanks

format19
just joined
Topic Author

Re: RB750UP - Change Gateway to eth5

Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:09 pm

Why has no one responded???? I just cant understand?
This is the strangest forum I have ever been part of, it takes 24 hrs to get a topic/question on the site and then nothing?

Does any one know of a better place to get more instant responses?
I have sat patiently waiting by my computer for now the 3rd day with no answers, I cant believe that people with real world projects that are asking questions here can be waiting like this?

I am fairly new to RouterOS and am learning huge amounts every day (god bless youtube) what I have experienced of Mikrotik and RouterOS is brilliant but my only complaint is the lack of real help when things dont work ?

I worked with UBNT devices with Airos and ddwrt and their forums I would expect answers from someone in an hour or two which is great as you normally get advice while your still working on it.

Please guys prove me wrong :-)

Even if someone could just say its not possible then I can move on.
Thanks

wdjag
just joined

Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:43 pm

/ip dhcp-client add comment="default configuration" dhcp-options=hostname,clientid disabled=no interface=ether5-gateway add-default-route=yes

PaulsMT
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:53 pm

This line caused to fail:

/ip address
add address=192.168.88.1 interface=ether2-master network=192.168.88.0

Because 192.168.88.1/32 don't know how to communicate with whole 192.168.88.0/24 subnet

You can change this with command:
/ip address set [find address~"192.168.88."] address=192.168.88.1/24

Now you should be able do normal routing from/to 192.168.88.0/24 subnet.

TomosRider
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:05 pm

Why has no one responded???? I just cant understand?
This is the strangest forum I have ever been part of, it takes 24 hrs to get a topic/question on the site and then nothing?

Does any one know of a better place to get more instant responses?
I have sat patiently waiting by my computer for now the 3rd day with no answers, I cant believe that people with real world projects that are asking questions here can be waiting like this?

I am fairly new to RouterOS and am learning huge amounts every day (god bless youtube) what I have experienced of Mikrotik and RouterOS is brilliant but my only complaint is the lack of real help when things dont work ?

I worked with UBNT devices with Airos and ddwrt and their forums I would expect answers from someone in an hour or two which is great as you normally get advice while your still working on it.

Please guys prove me wrong :-)

Even if someone could just say its not possible then I can move on.
Thanks
Well, my friend, you gave yourself an answer. With that attitude, im surprised that youve got any answer.
Im sure that, if you show patience and some willingness to learn youll be geting what you need in no time. Respect others time and will to help you. Investigate on your own a little. Search forum. Learn.
All best!

format19
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:22 am

@TomosRider

Hi, Thanks for responding (although extremely patronizing and absolutely no use what so ever)

You mentioned my attitude, I thought I had been very nice, I even said please.....?

You know nothing about me or my abilities..... I am a Senior Technical Executive with the ISP I am working for, I have 4 other computer repair businesses and I am qualified up the rear for networking and topology..... so please I know a thing or 2 about research and learning and with out knowing you and your background I would never dream of passing judgement on your efforts in a forum, I clearly stated that I was new to Mikrotik/routeros and am learning a lot every day.
My original post was done in desperation after nearly 2 weeks of trying everything to get this working with NO help from any one.

I have spent my working life in more forums than most people have had hot dinners so I am both appreciative and understanding of people who contribute but as I said this forum seems very strange in that you cant seem to expect your post to be posted or any answers quickly (ie while your still sat at the computer working on the problem)

Full respect and thanks to Pauls J from Mikrotik support for responding within a few hours of me emailing with a no nonsense answer that fixed the problem without any judgmental comments.

For those interested, the full working script can be pasted into a terminal window in the RB750UP (I did a factory reset with NO config), reboot and viola, port 1 is now disabled, Port 5 is now the WAN port (dhcp client) and Ports 2,3,4 are standard (dhcp server)

/interface ethernet
set [ find default-name=ether1 ] disabled=yes name=ether1-disabled
set [ find default-name=ether2 ] name=ether2-master
set [ find default-name=ether3 ] master-port=ether2-master name=ether3-slave
set [ find default-name=ether4 ] master-port=ether2-master name=ether4-slave
set [ find default-name=ether5 ] name=ether5-gateway
/ip pool
add name=default-dhcp ranges=192.168.88.10-192.168.88.254
/ip dhcp-server
add address-pool=default-dhcp always-broadcast=yes disabled=no interface=ether2-master lease-time=23h10m name=dhcp1
/ip address
add address=192.168.88.1/24 interface=ether2-master network=192.168.88.0
/ip dhcp-client
add comment="default configuration" dhcp-options=hostname,clientid disabled=no interface=ether5-gateway
/ip dhcp-server network
add address=192.168.88.0/24 comment="default configuration" dns-server=8.8.8.8,8.8.4.4 gateway=192.168.88.1
/ip dns
set allow-remote-requests=yes servers=192.168.88.1,8.8.8.8
/ip dns static
add address=192.168.88.1 name=router
/ip firewall filter
add chain=input comment="default configuration" disabled=yes protocol=icmp
add chain=input comment="default configuration" connection-state=established,related disabled=yes
add action=drop chain=input comment="default configuration" disabled=yes in-interface=ether5-gateway
add action=fasttrack-connection chain=forward comment="default configuration" connection-state=established,related disabled=yes
add chain=forward comment="default configuration" connection-state=established,related disabled=yes
add action=drop chain=forward comment="default configuration" connection-state=invalid disabled=yes
add action=drop chain=forward comment="default configuration" connection-nat-state=!dstnat connection-state=new disabled=yes in-interface=ether5-gateway
/ip firewall nat
add action=masquerade chain=srcnat comment="default configuration" out-interface=ether5-gateway
/system clock
set time-zone-name=Europe/Madrid
/tool mac-server
/tool mac-server mac-winbox

TomosRider
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:54 am

Hah, i dont see any reason to react like this, but ok..it reflects your frustration. Im not going to tell you about my qualifications, would probably get you even more frustrated. I dont see this conversation going in positive way, im sorry that my post offended you. All best at your future projects. Cheers!

BartoszP
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:40 pm

@format19:

What do you mean saying "There is no internet" ?

Can you ping to 8.8.8.8 ?
Can you ping to google.com ?

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

RB750UP - Change Gateway to eth5

Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:15 pm

Format19, please reconsider your approach again. Maybe it is not so nice as you think. It could happen you will be more successful next time... Please take note that this forum is voluntary, none is obliged to answer and if none knows none won't answer at all.