Community discussions

MikroTik App

pierpul
just joined
Topic Author

RB1100AHx2 not loading after remote upgrade. Please Help Me!

Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:17 am

I've type /system routerboard upgrade from terminal of my RB1100AHx2 with 5.26 firmware installed.
After terminal say: "are you sure upgrade...etc..etc..", I've clicked Y and rebooted my routerboard (System-->Reboot)
Now RB not loading and with Winbox I cannot see her...
Tell me that I can recover my data (PPPOE secret, config etc etc)...
Please...Help me!
I don't want reset all...I've not backup...:-(

kiler129

Re: RB1100AHx2 not loading after remote upgrade. Please Help Me!

Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:01 am

I don't want reset all...I've not backup...:-(
That may be your largest mistake mistake. Probably if upgrade failed it may be unrecoverable. It's possible that configuration backup is still available on nand but I'm not sure if it's persisted on net install.

Let me tell you a real story which happened to my friend three weeks ago. He was working on his office laptop and runs short on swap often. He decided to do something about it, so he booted Linux live CD and started gparted to shrink partition with data and expand swap space. Laptop have full battery for few hours, it was connected to network with UPS for 15 minute and diesel generators starting in few minutes. I'll add to that story that we were in rather new office where I didn't seen any power loss since I work there.
After accepting BIG RED WARNING that he should make a backup first he went eating - five minutes later all lights went off for about one minute. UPS didn't catch up because that day it was under maintenance for around 2 hours, laptop battery didn't worked due to some ACPI problem in live CD. Generators started but it was too late - shrinking process was interrupted and all data .... well, practically gone.

So, will you expect that system protected by two separated batteries system and diesel generator connected to reliable grid will fail in next 15 minutes? No - me neither, but that's why you should ALWAYS make a backup.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:35 am

Not so horrible case for the 1100ahx2. What version you have installed? Do you have any other accessible mikrotik device directly connected by wire to it? If yes, try mac telnet. Last usually good working solution is netinstall. And for future, use backup partitions.

pierpul
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:34 am

My RB1100AHx2 was with 5.26 version. After, I try to upgrade, with not specified version (in New Terminal, I typed this text: "/system routerboard upgrade" and I confirmed with "Y". After, I rebooted RB...and I've lost them.
So, I did not specify which version of firmware / software to install.
Is It possible that the upgrade has changed the setting of the LAN ports ?
How can I recover my data ?
YES , I have another RB connected on the same switch .... but how do I know the MAC of RB losted if do not appear in search of Winbox ? I'm not getting anything, no IP no MAC ... completely disappeared ( I always speak of attempts by remote ).
Please, Help me!

BartoszP
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:45 am

Try WinBox v2 if you use WinBox v3

pierpul
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:02 am

Why Winbox 2 instead of Winbox 3? Thanks

TomosRider
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:05 pm

Try to find MAC of router by using winbox on neighbor router. Ip/Neighbors and try if you can mac telnet your router. That is the case if you can see your router from there, offcourse.

pierpul
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:10 pm

I've just tried IP Neighbor from other routerboard...but she see other rb but not my died routerboard....No IP, no MAC...

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:27 pm

Try the netinstall directly. Maybe you would need to connect via serial console cable and set the booting procedure to boot from ethernet via pxe before the netinstall will work. Try to install 6.30.4 first. If it fails, try 6.32.2 and finally the 5.26. When it will be configured and working, make backup partition. After that try to update again on the first partition. If it fails again you can boot the backup instantly, or with help of serial console at worst. Don't make blind updates again anymore.
Keep regular backups and export configuration scripts to be able fastly rebuild the lost device in whatever situation.

pierpul
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:01 pm

Thank you Jarda.
I resolved with physical boot and I've recover data from flash memory.
Thanks.
Another question: how I can automatically backup of config and secrets and send to FTP or email?
I would like to perform this operation with chron...for example every week.
;-)

BartoszP
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:25 pm

Save this script and schedule it.
:local sysname
:local time
:local date

:set sysname [/system identity get name]
:set time [/system clock get time]
:set date [/system clock get date]
/export file="$sysname"
:delay 5
/tool e-mail send to=myaddress  subject="CONFIG: $sysname z $date  $time" body=""  file="$sysname.rsc"
:log warning "Configuration sent: $sysname.rsc ."
Why WinBox2 ? I know that there is no problem now but WB2 has better MAC scanning procedures.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:36 pm

That's it...