Community discussions

bclewl1ns
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

WISP Wireless AP. Bridge or Route

Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:47 pm

I am sure this will come across as a complete newbie question. However I am not bringing it up to see if it will work but if it might address some expansion issues we are anticipating as well as to see if we can get some TCP speed increases and less packet loss on NV2 links.

What i am looking at doing is not bridging any of my mikrotik network. meaning assigning a /25 on the core router that will reach out to each access point. with a corresponding /25 on the ether interface of each ap. In my case the RB921 and RB922. Then assigning a smaller subnet on the WLAN side of the access point say a /26 with a corresponding ip on the lan interface of the cpe. Then setting up MPLS/VPLS to create tunnels back to the core router.
i.e.
CRS1016 ip 10.0.0.1/25---->RB921 eth1 IP 10.0.0.10/25 - Wlan IP 10.1.0.1/26-------->CPE IP 10.1.0.2/26

I know this will work that is not my question but my question is how will it impact CPU performance on the RB921 and is there a latency and throughput benefit to routing over the wireless instead of bridging the WLAN and the ETH port of the access point. I know we will decrease arp and stop from any potential arp storms (Good thing) But My real concern is that of System resources. We would be looking at having about 40 CPE devices attached to each AP.

Please ask to clarify if i am not clear on this .

I know i can't use the same IP as the loopback and the interface ip. Just a typo.
Network.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Brett

What is understood need not be discussed.

bclewl1ns
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Re: WISP Wireless AP. Bridge or Route

Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:28 am

Also on a side note. I want to use VRRP to provide hardware redundancy on the aggregate end. so the loopback ip on the router would be the VRRP ip address on each router. So there would be two routers as the core each with the LDP ip being the VRRP ip address but different ip's say 10.0.0.1/25 for router 1 and 10.0.0.2 for router 2. I am anticipating OSPF problems with this.
Brett

What is understood need not be discussed.