Page 1 of 1

Frequent bridged ADSL PPPoE disconnects

Posted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:19 am
by adamh
I have a RB951Ui-2HnD which I have configured as a simple Home AP & router. It is connecting to a TP-Link 8817 in bridge mode.
The PPP client in the RB connects fine to the ADSL however occasionally, and usually when the link is busy (ie videos), then the PPP disconnects and the RB will then try and reconnect. The reconnect process takes minutes and often 5-10 attempts to get the connection back up. Overall in a day there

I have tested the TPLink in bridged mode to a Netgear router that I have and it remains stable for days/weeks, with no apparent disconnects. And the Netgear on it's own (it also has an ADSL modem) is fine for days/weeks too.

I'm at a loss as to which settings I should be looking at or tweaking. Any ideas please?

Re: Frequent bridged ADSL PPPoE disconnects

Posted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:48 am
by rheo
Did you every discover a solution to this, I am experiencing the same thing with a hex lite and a tp-link 8960N in bridge mode. 5-10 disconnections per day. Modem doesn't drop sync it's the pppoe on the router.

Re: Frequent bridged ADSL PPPoE disconnects

Posted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:49 am
by adamh
Unfortunately not, I still get the issue. Some days it's bad, and some days I can be up for a whole day.

Re: Frequent bridged ADSL PPPoE disconnects

Posted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:50 pm
by troffasky
I have quite a few RB951's deployed with ECI B-Focus and Huawei HG612 DSL modems, with PPPoE being initiated from the Routerboard. I do not see the kind of behaviour you're describing. Not much help to you, I know.

I think your best bet is to turn up the logging and take it from there.

Re: Frequent bridged ADSL PPPoE disconnects

Posted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 1:59 am
by adamh
I'm coming to the opinion that it's related to my filter or cabling. Am in the process of swapping components out to isolate it.

Re: Frequent bridged ADSL PPPoE disconnects

Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:04 am
by rheo
in case this helps, i had the same problem. i think i fixe it by setting the mtu and max mtu values on my ether1 physical wan interface to match the pppoe virtual interface (my isp advised 1492) and the problem went away