Community discussions

MikroTik App

sailor
just joined
Topic Author

GrooveA 52hpn, newbie seeking help

Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:29 pm

I seem to have gotten in a bit over my head here :) Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

I purchased a GrooveA 52hpn and would like to use it to extend the range of with I’m able to connect to WiFi networks ashore (from my boat). I have a generic TrendNet “wireless router” aboard the boat. I’d like for my devices always to stay connected to the TrendNet “wireless router” and simply use the Groove to provide an internet connection for the TrendNet “wireless router”.

I figured the first step was to setup the Groove. I seem to have hit the wall almost straight out of the gate. I’ve assigned my computer an IP (192.168.88.3), connected directly to the Groove and logged into the web interface of the Groove. So far so good. From what I’ve been able to cobble toughener from this forum I’ve tried the below. See screenshot.

Set Groove to CPE
Configuration = Router
Wireless Network, Address Acquisition = Automatic
NAT = Enabled

Now we get to the part I don’t understand. I’ve tried setting Local Network, IP to both of the below.

Local Network, IP = I’ve tried both 192.168.88.2 and 192.168.88.1

I’m unable to connect to the web interface again after that. I’m sure it’s something obvious I’ve messed up :) Is anyone up for helping me correct my (perhaps) obvious mistake? ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sailor
just joined
Topic Author

Re: GrooveA 52hpn, newbie seeking help

Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:50 pm

For anyone coming across this. Turns out there is (what I'd describe as) a bug in the web interface. Once CPE is chosen and address acquisition is set to automatic the configuration is saved without clicking the 'Apply Configuration' button and WITHOUT warning. Giving the Groove an IP of 0.0.0.0. I don't know if it's because I used Chrome but it sure as heck was annoying. I managed to configure the Groove without any issues using Winbox (not connecting using IP).

I seem to have gotten in a bit over my head here :) Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

I purchased a GrooveA 52hpn and would like to use it to extend the range of with I’m able to connect to WiFi networks ashore (from my boat). I have a generic TrendNet “wireless router” aboard the boat. I’d like for my devices always to stay connected to the TrendNet “wireless router” and simply use the Groove to provide an internet connection for the TrendNet “wireless router”.

I figured the first step was to setup the Groove. I seem to have hit the wall almost straight out of the gate. I’ve assigned my computer an IP (192.168.88.3), connected directly to the Groove and logged into the web interface of the Groove. So far so good. From what I’ve been able to cobble toughener from this forum I’ve tried the below. See screenshot.

Set Groove to CPE
Configuration = Router
Wireless Network, Address Acquisition = Automatic
NAT = Enabled

Now we get to the part I don’t understand. I’ve tried setting Local Network, IP to both of the below.

Local Network, IP = I’ve tried both 192.168.88.2 and 192.168.88.1

I’m unable to connect to the web interface again after that. I’m sure it’s something obvious I’ve messed up :) Is anyone up for helping me correct my (perhaps) obvious mistake? ;)

w32pamela
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:01 pm

For anyone else wanting to put a Groove onboard you should start with a Groove 52Hpn rather than a GrooveA 52Hpn. The Groove 52Hpn cost a bit less and is already configured as a CPE (client premise equipment).

plisken
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:31 pm

See configuration 3 on my website please
http://www.wirelessinfo.be/index.php/mi ... es/confige

skoki83
just joined

Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:46 pm

I also have a GrooveA 52HPn and an hAP (RB951Ui-2nD) and, have used "Configuration 3" on plisken's page to set both up as I travel in a similar way. No complex needs inside my "home".

What I need help with is a script (or a change to plisken's script) that will change the setup on the RB951 a bit: I want it to be the POE source for the Groove, which means it needs to be in port 5. (I can power one of them, but not both from AC power.) I don't seem to be able to figure out how to do that!

EDIT: sorry - rereading this I see that my problem was poorly explained; I've switched the two ports so that my Groove is connected to port 5 and provides outside connections. BUT it kills the POE. As soon as I plug the Groove back into AC power all is fine. I don't seem to be able to run data and power at the same time.

---

As a newbie, the other thing I am not certain of is whether I need to do any further work on the security/firewall side of the Groove. As far as I can tell this configuration sets up:

Internet >> Groove (captive portal address usually) >> NAT from WAN to LAN >> RB951 >> devices which get a dhcp private address from the Groove.

As far as I can tell, with this "Configuration 3" I am NATted, but given that I connect to public wifi on it still need to use a VPN to be secure. Is my understanding correct?

Thanks - skoki

w32pamela
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:15 pm

If you are using a nominal 12 volt source (battery) as your power source you may not be providing enough power (watts) to the Groove to boot it. see http://i.mt.lv/routerboard/files/hAP-qg.pdf .

There is up to a 2 volt drop from the input to the POE out. When you use the AC/DC power adapter you have 24 volts to work with rather than just 12 volts.

skoki83
just joined

Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:11 pm

If you are using a nominal 12 volt source (battery) as your power source you may not be providing enough power (watts) to the Groove to boot it. see http://i.mt.lv/routerboard/files/hAP-qg.pdf .

There is up to a 2 volt drop from the input to the POE out. When you use the AC/DC power adapter you have 24 volts to work with rather than just 12 volts.
I read that - but it didn't mean anything to me! So it seems likely that I can't run both the Groove and the RB951 from a single power source. :(

My Groove will be located about 10m by ethernet from the RB951, so I'll have to figure out how to get both powered. (Seems odd to me though as POE is (should be?) the intended power method for a remote antenna, which most likely will be a considerable distance from the bridging router or switch! Most of the time the RB951 will be powered from AC, but occasionally, from an inverter/12V source.)

plisken
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:06 pm

I use meanwell AD-55B power supply with 2 x 17 AH 12 volt battery's
Batteries you switch in series for 24 volts.
The meanwell AD-55B is a UPS supply
https://www.meanwell-web.com/nl/product ... GwodpGcKcA

Goodluck

I read that - but it didn't mean anything to me! So it seems likely that I can't run both the Groove and the RB951 from a single power source. :(

My Groove will be located about 10m by ethernet from the RB951, so I'll have to figure out how to get both powered. (Seems odd to me though as POE is (should be?) the intended power method for a remote antenna, which most likely will be a considerable distance from the bridging router or switch! Most of the time the RB951 will be powered from AC, but occasionally, from an inverter/12V source.)

w32pamela
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:16 pm

The simple solution is to use a power cord for the router and a power cord for the Groove POE. Don't try to power the 951 from a POE just use the power jack. Plug the POE into port 1.

You could also use something like the Tycon DCDC-TP-1224 POE to power the router and Groove using the POE out function on the router.

plisken
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:55 pm

Try so as w32pamela told.

I hope that you have result.
The simple solution is to use a power cord for the router and a power cord for the Groove POE. Don't try to power the 951 from a POE just use the power jack. Plug the POE into port 1.

You could also use something like the Tycon DCDC-TP-1224 POE to power the router and Groove using the POE out function on the router.