Community discussions

zaazz
just joined
Topic Author

Disabled bridge

Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:07 pm

In an attempt to ground the kids from internet i disabled the bridge on my router. Sadly i cant reconnect to reenable it. My RB2011UAS has micro usb port and winbox sees the router but cannot connect. Is my only option a full factory reset to the config?

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Disabled bridge

Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:10 pm

connect using mac address on winbox not using ip

zaazz
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:11 pm

I am trying to connect via MAC. It says connection timed out.

ZeroByte
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:44 pm

Try doing it from the WAN interface, since that shouldn't be part of your bridge - although chechito is right in that MAC address should work. When you look in the Neighbors tab of Winbox, you're clicking the MAC and the MAC appears in the "Connect To" blank, right?

I used to have an issue with this type of connection, and I found that removing any IP addresses from my laptop could help when doing MAC-based winbox.... but haven't run into this kind of situation lately so I'm assuming that the glitch got fixed... But it is something to try.

If your computer has an RS232 serial port and you know someone who has access to the blue Cisco console cables, you can use one of those to connect to the console port on a 2011.

Next time, block the kids' devices' MAC addresses in the bridge firewall rules. ;)
When given a spoon,
you should not cling to your fork.
The soup will get cold.

zaazz
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:52 pm

Try doing it from the WAN interface, since that shouldn't be part of your bridge - although chechito is right in that MAC address should work. When you look in the Neighbors tab of Winbox, you're clicking the MAC and the MAC appears in the "Connect To" blank, right?
Yep, it's odd because I've never really had a problem connecting via MAC before. I reset the router's config and cleared out the DHCP server settings to reconfigure it, lost my connection and once again was unable to connect via MAC. I guess this may be the first time I've tried connecting from a windows 10 PC before but the winbox connection via MAC suddenly seems unreliable (unless there is something else I am missing here).

ZeroByte
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:42 am

I guess this may be the first time I've tried connecting from a windows 10 PC before but the winbox connection via MAC suddenly seems unreliable (unless there is something else I am missing here).
Well, I sometimes ran into flaky MAC-based connections, and I came to realize that when I had an IP address on my laptop and the Mikrotik had a different IP network configured, it was the most likely to drop my connection quickly.

My workaround was to remove the IP address from the Local Area Connection until after I got the Mikrotik set the way I needed - or at least enough to get the IP address configured and then I'd set up my IP address accordingly and hop back in via IP.

Also - try disabling the wireless connection while you're trying it....
When given a spoon,
you should not cling to your fork.
The soup will get cold.